BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Hello all. An Alnwick laddie now living in Gateshead in the North East of England, I started my motorcycling career at the age of 11 with a 250 Royal Enfield crusader (back lanes and fields). I found myself, some 44 years later and in partial retirement, pondering the purchase of a BMW. Despite having ridden and owned offerings from most of the major manufacturers I am largely ignorant of this marque. I currently own a 98 Triumph speed triple which I use for touring and which has proved an incredibly versatile and reliable machine, however Im now keen to undertake some subtle modifications on it so am looking to strip it down. I've just sold a 2001 Daytona,which in honesty was bit of an impulse purchase and although it was fun to ride, it spent more time on SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) prior to sale. I've just about completed a lengthy restoration (4+ years) on an 86 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX back to original and showroom condition and which nearly got scrapped following acquisition (another impulse purchase). I also have an elderly CB500T of seventies vintage awaiting its turn in the restoration queue.

The idea of the BMW is to improve touring capability with a small group of friends, kicking off with a 2013 trip into France where my folks now reside in a small village near Limoges.

With a limited budget and in an effort to avoid the pattern of impulse purchases, I decided to look for a cheaper older machine and had some initial pro and con discussions regarding R Versus K. The bike I eventually bought is a 1984 K100 that doesn't have a huge mileage (43K) and in its last 10 years of ownership by the same owner has clearly had a lot of time and care lavished on it. Price and condition were the clinching factors.

I've joined the forum because,as a member of other marque specific forums, I cannot overstate the value of the knowledge and expertise that is out there. I also hope that at some point I can reciprocate and help someone with information from my own experiences.

Looking forward to chatting.

Cheers

Fent (George)

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome George. I'm sure you will find all that and a bit more here.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Hi George and welcome to the over 55s I mean K owners club. I have never owned a Royal Enfield but at the age of 3 enjoyed some rides on my father's......

K is perfect for what you want and you clearly have the skills to enjoy it. It will serve you well....This site is great for technical stuff and for some nice chat. We Irish Eccentrics have turned our end into a social thing as well with occasional meet ups.

Any photos?

Welcome again...

92KK

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome george ...

enjoy the experience ol mate ...

im sure the old k will develop a special feeling in your apreciaton of all things bmw ....

cheers !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
welcome George, 84 was a very good year for Beemers....the bloody things are indestructible and not too difficult to work on......not all seniors but the average is close to 50....and whats wrong with that.....look forward to seeing your bikes...we love pictures....What a Face

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Greetings from a very soggy North east of England Au-log10

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi George,
Good to have you with us.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Now that's a proper intro, George! We get some detail about your experience with motorbikes over the years, your current stable of fine thoroughbreds, an insight into how you feel about them, a brief description of travels, your weaknesses and strengths are implied, and a weather report too. You fit the bill in this forum. Welcome to the forum. Here you will find a whole host of like-minded individuals (oxymoron?).

I rolled out of bed this morning to a frosted and icy landscape from yesterday's drizzle having frozen overnight, and the thermometre hovering near zero (c). It's up to a lofty 4c now and if there's a sun in the sky I'll bet it's currently baking someone on a beach well South of here near the equator, 'cause it surely ain't in my neighbourhood, haven't seen it in weeks. I know how you feel.
Greetings from a very soggy North east of England 340248

It may make you smile, but we have had rain here in the south of France all day. I might as well move back to the UK - but there again the roads here are empty and we have no road tax or MOTs for bikes, perhaps I'll stay.

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome George and thank you for the introduction.
You do have a taste for muscle machines.
The CB500T, was that the one with the brown seat? Perhaps one of the first "retro" bikes.

Cheers,

04/86 K100 VIN 0009479 Columbia Silver

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi George,

Welcome mate, I'm originally from the North East myself, still a lovely part of the world - if you can find work. Been raining here most of the week solid - garage and house are both leaking and the roads are flooded; bloody awful. Still the K is out of the drips and nice and dry!

Good to have you onboard, the guys on this site are great.

Hope you enjoy the 'K'

Cheers
Dave

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Well thank you all for such a kind and warm welcome. I tend to forget that forums aren't just about the sharing of knowledge and that the social aspect is equally as important. Several people I have met over the years as the result of contact through various forums have now become good friends.

Bikerboy I still don't feel sorry for you, particularly if your (lengthy) summer has been anything like that reported by my parents Laughing . MT350 Explorer a fellow Mackem, Geordie or mid northumbrian??

I actually never considered myself as a muscle bike fan, although I prefer cafe racer to cruiser. My most regretted sale is a 1975 Kawasaki H2B in purple with twin disc front end. Unfortunately in 1976/77 my meagre wages couldn't keep pace with the tyres chains and petrol..........25 mpg on a good day!!Shocked but the acceleration was so addicitive. I am also a huge Barry Sheene fan. I saw him race at Olivers Mount in Scarborough in the seventies and witnessed his narrow defeat by Kenny Roberts in the 1979 Transatlantic Trophy at Silverstone. But despite my imagined emulation on the road, a couple of heavy crashes bore testimony to my lack of talent in that particular arena. I did however once win a pub raffle using the name Barry Sheene on my entry, unfortunately the huge meat prize was an incongruous addition to a largely vegetarian lifestyle.............oh well!

I will put some photos up of my acquisition once it's safely in the garage. Its not currently taxed or MOt'd so Im awaiting the services of a friend with a trailer............next Thursday hopefully.

Thank you all again for your kind welcome.

George

PS Dee Why you re right about the CB500T, dreadful bike (comparatively) in its day, although interest in them seems to be gaining momentum Surprised

I may have been at Olivers Mount at the same time as you in the late '70s. I was a young lad at RAF Leeming riding an old Honda 250 at that time.

desertbeemer

desertbeemer
Silver member
Silver member
Hey George welcome to the house of bricks lol tell you now if and when you get one you will fall under a spell like no other we ware forum of brick lovers or as some call us K holics annonamus every one here will bind over back words to help each other and not just on bricks we a group have a wide knowledge base and from your intro sounds like you will fit right in

William Gornto Alamogordo New Mexico

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
bikerboy wrote:I may have been at Olivers Mount at the same time as you in the late '70s. I was a young lad at RAF Leeming riding an old Honda 250 at that time.

Hey BB, small world...so, Honda 250, K, G5, CJ or did you buy into the later seventies Dream/Superdream series?? G5 man myself,. Bought new in 1975 from Harry Woods Dark Lane, Morpeth after a disasterous but passionate few months with a drum braked Benelli 250 2C.

Desertbeemer, thanks for the welcome, I did agonise over an R versus the K. Whilst the R is definitely traditional I fnd something quirky and quite appealing about the K engine. Im also looking forward to getting some miles under the wheels before adding those touches that make the bike truly yours.

CB250K4 for me. I took it to Germany when I was posted there in 1977 and as I was living tax free, I bought a second hand Suzuki T500, and a new Honda CJ360T. I then saw the light and at the tender age of 18 bought a brand new BMW R75/7, the other three bikes sat in the garage doing nothing after that.
Have mostly had BMWs since that day.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
bikerboy wrote:a second hand Suzuki, and a new Honda CJ360T. I then saw the light and at the tender age of 18 bought a brand new BMW R75/7, the other three bikes sat in the garage doing nothing after that. Have mostly had BMWs since that day.

Similar story here, as far as the bikes go. I had a used, blue Suzuki GT380 triple, then a new red '76 Honda CB360T, then in January of '77 bought a first and only model year black R75/7, which I still own to this day, now with over 800,000 kms on the odo. Mostly BMWs for me since then as well, with a Yamaha and an odd Ducati in the mix.
Cheers.

Quite a small world that we have here! My R75/7 was in blue and was bought on 21st Sept '77, just after the R80 came out. My CJ360 was yellow and known as the flying banana.
I used to keep my eyes open for a second hand R75/7 but now think that the '04 K1200GT that I had from new was a better bike. Never mind I should be collecting the K100RS 16v in the morning, I have had to make room in the garage as it is full of the wifes F800ST.

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all

Just a couple of pictures of my new acquisition which I was able to pick up yesterday.

Greetings from a very soggy North east of England 005-1

Greetings from a very soggy North east of England 004-1

Hopefully thats the last time it will require the services of a trailer Very Happy

Cheers

Fent

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Looking in fine shape already and perfectly tied down too it looks like a wild beast that has peen professionally restrained to prevent it breaking loose and savaging the citizenry Razz Good buy, well done.
Regards,
K-BIKE

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
Sweet bike.
Like the lines that the fairing piece around/above the radiator gives.
Like also the treatment of the front fairing. Cafe looking.
What is that?
Have never seen anything like it.
This is a 16v?
Confused? Very Happy

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
Now that seat cannot be OEM as it looks far more comfy than mine....what sort of shock is that?

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
JimK wrote:Have never seen anything like it.

Plain standard 8V naked K100 -83-85, but with a Boge nivomat shockie (standard on LT's).

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member

Last edited by JimK on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
Inge K. wrote:
JimK wrote:Have never seen anything like it.

Plain standard 8V naked K100 -83-85, but with a Boge nivomat shockie (standard on LT's).

Ok...Thanks mister.
Hmm.
Smarter than was at the beginning of the day. Very Happy

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Klompy the grey brick wrote:Now that seat cannot be OEM as it looks far more comfy than mine

It seems like some duck floss have been added to the OEM.

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi George welcome to the forum, nice looking bike you have there.

BIG D

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Hi George,

Another welcome to the forum from the SW of the UK this time... seeing the town name Alnwick reminded me that I was supposed to be there in January for a course... Was looking forward to getting snowed in... That's now been canned and I am going to be at a bleak location on the East coast with Scarborough as the nearest town! (Then reading further down read RAF Leeming that's left a shudder as I don't want to go there!)

Your K is certainly looking in great shape and very rarely do they end up on the back of a trailer... Mine only did when I collected it from Gatwick to bring her home. It will be very easy to get her ready for touring as well. Panniers are available on eBay all the time and the fitting kit is in stock at both motorworks and motobins.

One way I think that is great to personalise the bike is to get the seat recovered.... Well It's one of many things I did to mine when I rebuilt her (She was on the verge of becoming a Rat when I bought her)

Greetings from a very soggy North east of England 169042Greetings from a very soggy North east of England 169034

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Blimey twincarb, RAF Leeming giving you shudders Very Happy not one of my favourite sites.

BIG D

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Must be something about 50% of my trade are now there.... hold on thats not the reason it's cause its Leeming!!! ROFL

Greetings from a very soggy North east of England 169042Greetings from a very soggy North east of England 169034

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Fentible wrote:

Bikerboy I still don't feel sorry for you, particularly if your (lengthy) summer has been anything like that reported by my parents Laughing . MT350 Explorer a fellow Mackem, Geordie or mid northumbrian??

Kind of none of the above mate - Durham.
Good looking bike you have there, looks in prettty good nick too.
All the Best
Dave

31Back to top Go down   Greetings from a very soggy North east of England Empty Hello from a soggy NW USA Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Bigdibbs

Bigdibbs
Welcome Fentible, I am a new member as well and also new to the sport. I rode a 1976 R90 many moons ago for a brief period in Highschool. That bike moved on to a collector and I went without for many years but always wanted another one.

I purchased a K75S in September to get back to riding and to test the waters with my wife. She loved it so we picked up a 1200GS a few days ago.

Looking forward to seeing more posts and potentially tapping in to your expertise. Your new to you bike looks in really nice shape.

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks all and to Big dibbs, twincarb and Big D for the additional welcome

As some may have noted in another post, my original plan was to add an RS fairing, but I must admit the naked look is starting to grow on me. I did get a set of panniers and mounting bars with the bike which have admittedly seen better days, but managed to get hold of an as new set, so the luggage issue is well taken care of. I always used throwover panniers when touring on the Speed Triple so these capacious bad boys will be something of a luxury.

I did wonder about the seat, Ive not seen one like it in the various images of K100's Ive looked at but I also now have a spare seat which has grab handles built into it and looks more like the standard item. I'll check which is the most comfortable........."It seems like some duck floss have been added to the OEM" did you mean duck tail Inge K?? I was intrigued with the Nivomat shock which is apparently a self levelling item to accomodate pillion/luggage weight, it seems to function okay but I will likely replace with a RAM shock.

Unfortunately, the festive period and a particularly vicious bout of man-flu Greetings from a very soggy North east of England 177381 are keeping me out of the garage, but I do have couple of clear weeks coming up after the first weekend of 2013 to play with it. Initial impressions are of a well balanced bike, the engine revs smoothly without any knocks or rattles or smoke and the gears select nicely. tickover is a little bit iffy although the throttle cable is a little notchy so may be sticking slightly. Hopefully I have bought a good'un.

Oh yes I hate the side stand, is there a knack to keeping it extended with your foot whilst resting the bike down??

As the end of 2012 hurtles towards its conclusion, can I just take this opportunity to thank everyone who responded to my post and wish everyone a safe and happy 2013................thank goodness the Mayans got it wrong Very Happy

Fent

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
About the side stand, you apparently have one of those annoying ones that self retract. The good news is that it can be fixed easily, there is a spigot on the end of the threaded part of the pivot bolt if you cut that off then it should stay extended and if not there is one more trick with a change of the half moon bracket that attaches the springs.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
Fentible wrote:

Oh yes I hate the side stand, is there a knack to keeping it extended with your foot whilst resting the bike down??

Fent
Hi I still have the questionable self retracting side stand....fitted and have accomplished what I shall call the "Australian two step"
this is accomplished by dismounting to the left whilst simultaneously sliding the side stand forward to the front, then slowly lowering the hefty gravity determined brick to a precarious angle.
And if you are lucky you will not have to ask for assistance from the locals at a methadone clinic when you find yourself in a balanced position beneath the brick when the sidestand is determined to return to a stowed position.
If the latter occurs take photos so at least someone will appreciate the event ....:O)

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Greetings from a very soggy North east of England 44271

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Some don't like the fitting, but, on my solo, I have the system that retracts the side stand when the clutch lever is pulled in; it's a mechanical linkage from the lever at the back of the gearbox to the stand so you can't ride off with the stand down. I like it and much prefer that to having vulnerable switches down there. I think they were fitted from late '85 until the switched method came into use.

Paul.

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Klompy the grey brick wrote:

Hi I still have the questionable self retracting side stand....fitted and have accomplished what I shall call the "Australian two step"
this is accomplished by dismounting to the left whilst simultaneously sliding the side stand forward to the front, then slowly lowering the hefty gravity determined brick to a precarious angle.
And if you are lucky you will not have to ask for assistance from the locals at a methadone clinic when you find yourself in a balanced position beneath the brick when the sidestand is determined to return to a stowed position.
If the latter occurs take photos so at least someone will appreciate the event ....:O)

Hm...........as Im not a fan of dance and its probably tricky finding methadone clinics to park outside of anyway, I'll more than likely go with Rick G's option. But I do appreciate the advice Very Happy

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum George from another UK "K" rider - enjoy your time here Wink

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Krambo

Sorry I missed your post. Thanks for the welcome even though Im now 35 posts in. I positively feel like an 'old timer'

Cheers

George

Life time member
Life time member
I missed your intro too Fent. I do like the look of your bike the radiator cowl to my eye looks fantastic and the seat shape reall suits. It appears whoever redid the seat covered or left out the grab handles, is that so? a bit late to say it but welcome.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for that 88.

Must admit I like the old girl as she is too. I had intended to convert to RS spec, even to the point of buying the necessary body panels. But you know what, Im sticking with the 'naked' look.

Im not sure about the seat however, it seems to have been a custom made part as the seat base is fibre glass. There are no labels that would point toward the maker and the po bought it as is. I do have the standard seat with the built in handles but actually prefer the later seat style with the handles in the tail piece. Too many options.

Cheers

George

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum