BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bjarnek100

Hi all

as title says, when engine is cooling down the coolant hose on the right hand side "goes flat" i.e. there seems to be vaccum in the system. I suspect that overpressure valve is ok, but is it nor releiving the coolant/pressure back in the system from the overflow tank. Suspect a defect filler cap, as far is I can read there should be some over/under pressure valves in the cap, is that correct? Release pressure should be 1,5 bar.

Question is....can it be fixed, meaning can you just clean the cap/replace something or is it not worth the hazzle? Better to replace the cap completely?

Manual says that filler pipe and cap ,must be replaced as a unit scratch

16V RS

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Return valve is the one to the right of center.
Check the valve, and that it's free passage to the area behind the outer gasket.
Also check the hose between the filler cap and expansion tank for kinks.

flat cooler hose on right hand side... Radiat10

bjarnek100

thanks Inge, looks like it could be worth checking the small valves if they are accesible :-)

/Bjarne

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Bjarne,

I once had this problem which was caused by a swollen rubber gasket in the filler cap preventing coolant flowing from the tank to the radiator. A good gasket should be about 36mm OD x 26mm ID.

Just a thought,

Paul.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Thinking a bit laterally one thing that would cause the rubber gasket to swell would be a trace of oil circulating attacking the rubber, could this be a warning of the dreaded oil pump seal failure?
Regards,
K-BIKE

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Yes K-BIKE, that's what caused the swelling with my gasket.

Paul.

7Back to top Go down   flat cooler hose on right hand side... Empty flat cooler hose on right hand side Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:32 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
In the"how to"section there is a write up of a method to check your radiator cap heat sensor by putting it in water, heating it and seeing at what temp. if any the thermostat opens.
Wish I could post a link for you but not sure how to do that.
RT

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
About swelling gaskets....if that problem arises, it could also be a idea to check the gasket at the top of the cap.
If it gets to close to center, it would block the ports to the valve housing (it's three of them).

flat cooler hose on right hand side... Ventil10

bjarnek100

K-BIKE wrote:Thinking a bit laterally one thing that would cause the rubber gasket to swell would be a trace of oil circulating attacking the rubber, could this be a warning of the dreaded oil pump seal failure?
Regards,
K-BIKE

...hmmm, not sounding good Sad thought they solved that issue on the 16V/k1100?

I´m crossing my fingers that filler cap is the issue, time will show..... Cool

/Bjarne

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
bjarnek100 wrote:thanks Inge, looks like it could be worth checking the small valves if they are accesible

Shouldn't be any problem if you have the old type cap, the return valve should be fairly loose if you touch it with your fingertip.

flat cooler hose on right hand side... Lokk10

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
On the subject of checking things by heating them up, many many years ago when I lived in the UK I used to subscribe to one of the car magazines for DIY car service. but nearly fell off my chair when they wrote an article describing how with a saucepan full of water and a thermometer that you could check that the thermostat starts to open around 102 degrees C and is fully open by 105 degrees C by heating the pan up on the stove. I guess their technical writer was asleep during that bit of the school science class when they covered the boiling point of water.

I also recall when my sister in law was going out with the then editor of a very prestigious photographic magazine in the UK and being interested in photography I asked what he thought of the new Agfa film that had just been released and he was a bit non-committal so I asked which was his favourite camera he said he didn't own a camera to which I was incredulous and he told me "I don't have a camera and I don't know anything about photography" I said "how can you be the editor of a photographic magazine and not know anything about photography" he replied 'I am a professional journalist I do not need to understand the subject I am writing about". I have always been suspicious of technical journalists since then.
Regards,
K-BIKE

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Love it!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland flat cooler hose on right hand side... Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
K-BIKE wrote:On the subject of checking things by heating them up, many many years ago when I lived in the UK I used to subscribe to one of the car magazines for DIY car service. but nearly fell off my chair when they wrote an article describing how with a saucepan full of water and a thermometer that you could check that the thermostat starts to open around 102 degrees C and is fully open by 105 degrees C by heating the pan up on the stove. I guess their technical writer was asleep during that bit of the school science class when they covered the boiling point of water.

I also recall when my sister in law was going out with the then editor of a very prestigious photographic magazine in the UK and being interested in photography I asked what he thought of the new Agfa film that had just been released and he was a bit non-committal so I asked which was his favourite camera he said he didn't own a camera to which I was incredulous and he told me "I don't have a camera and I don't know anything about photography" I said "how can you be the editor of a photographic magazine and not know anything about photography" he replied 'I am a professional journalist I do not need to understand the subject I am writing about". I have always been suspicious of technical journalists since then.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Good point and good laugh but I recently had to check the 103c point on a K100 thermo sensor and by adding salt got the temp to 106c so maybe and only just maybe they are right.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
Put some coolant/antifreeze in the water and it will raise the boiling point. Thinking laterally natch ..........

I long ago gave up on motorcycle magazines when a test that included a K-1200RS criticized the K bike for having an "old fashioned suspension" (Telelever and Paralever are old fashioned by a conventional fork on a Japanese sport bike isn't?) and they criticized the K for having a "heavy flywheel". Shows you what they know about the K. They have their heads so far up their exhaust pipe that if they tried to pull it out they would get whiplash.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:
Good point and good laugh but I recently had to check the 103c point on a K100 thermo sensor and by adding salt got the temp to 106c so maybe and only just maybe they are right.

That must have been very salty water....
From what I recall of my school chemistry it takes 58g of salt to raise the boiling point of a litre of water by half a degree C
106C would require nearly 700g of salt per litre

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yeah I won the Mr Popularity contest for using up a heap of SWMBOs salt but it was for a very important test, I think she understood, I think.
I also found I needed to be careful with the resistance readings because salty water is a great conductor DOH but I eventually figured out why the readings didn't make sense. Very Happy

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
All those sorts of tests, use of the dishwasher, oven, blender etc. need to be done whilst she is out of the house Very Happy The salty water can be used to de-ice the freezer - "look dear I de-iced the freezer while you were out" Then instead of a bollocking you get a gold star!
Regards,
K-BIKE

bjarnek100

OK, an overnight cleaning in soapwater freed both over- and under pressure valves in the cap. Did a low-tech test (mouth-to-cap test) and seems ok Very Happy . Gaskets seems OK. Only one little question short.

The expansion-tank is full at cold engine (since the underpressure didn´t work). Manual says fill cooling system up until overflow pipe but do I need to drain expansion-tank completely before i do that, in order to leave a spare expansion volume?

/Bjarne

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The coolant level should preferably be at the max mark, measured with a cold engine.
Adjust as needed.

flat cooler hose on right hand side... Tank10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum