BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:32 pm

mdangear

mdangear
During my last ride the bike broke up on me: could not shift gear anymore.
Decided to fix it. My last repair job on a bike was 30 years ago (fixed a gearbox on a CBR 650), so I will have to re-learn a lot, but I figured it is a good way to spend rainy days in the garage.
Will track my progress here.
K100RS Clutch fix Img_0210

2Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:28 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
One rainy day. Changing clutch assembley will take 6 - 8 hours, better with extra pair of hands.

3Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
I invested on oilproof clutchplate - just in case..

http://store.bobsbmw.com/product/clutch-plate---oil-proof-for-k100-k1100-k1

Cost me 210 euros (ordered from Louis / Germany). I think - knowing the problems with main seal - that this was a good decision. I dont have to worry about minor oil leaks anymore and if plate keeps dry it should last twice the mileage of standard plate. (Changed also main seal and some seals on gearbox etc.)

4Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:31 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Looking forward to the posts mdangear.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

5Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Getting started Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:31 pm

mdangear

mdangear
Started removing things, already made my first mistake (I realized after reading more on the forum) by removing the cable from the clutch handle, so the rubber boot there is probably shot from the pressure that it got. Something to check when I get to it.
K100RS Clutch fix Sawhor10

Could not remove the speed sensor so unplugged the other end of the wire instead, a good hint from this forum.
Got a jack to lift the bike, and using a sawhorse to keep it up while I will be removing the gearbox.

mdangear

mdangear
Ok, so this is where my ignorance starts. I read that I have to clean the gearbox cap and remove the small chunks of metal around the magnet, but I cannot get them out, is there a trick to this?
Also for the rear brake calliper, the manual just says to remove 2 bolts but if I do so the thing still hangs and I cannot really remove the footrest which is still tied to the brake etc... I cannot see detailed steps on this one either, is there something I am missing?

7Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:51 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The gearbox filler and drain plug shouldn't normaly be any problem.

About the calipper, could be that your rear disc is a bit worn and have some grooves.
Try to wiggle the calipper a bit, to press back the pistons.

Footrest bridge is three socket head screws, don't forget to unbolt the reservoir and disconnect the brake light switch.

8Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:06 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The rubber boot in good condition will hold the pressure of the spring on the clutch release. To remove the caliper you only need to remove the 2 socket head screws but as Inge said the caliper may need to be tilted each way to push the pistons back for the caliper to lift off the disc.
When you remove thr shock absorber make sure to support thr rear drive or it will drop suddenly and damage the rubber boot at the front of the shaft by crushing it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

mdangear

mdangear
Ok, thank you for the input.
All the Haynes manual says is to remove the rear brake caliper, but after poking some more I realize that the whole rear brake and footrest has to go in one piece: so unbolt the caliper, unbolt the brake fluid reservoir (allen bolt below the coolant reservoir), unplug the rear brake indicator wire, then unbolt the footrest and take everything out in one piece.

K100RS Clutch fix Rear_b10

10Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:53 pm

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
I bungee the right foot peg plate to the frame so I don't have to remove all that stuff like you did.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

11Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Baby steps Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:28 pm

mdangear

mdangear
Remove the final drive today. Broke the wrench trying to remove bolts, so I went to get Liquid Wrench - thanks to this forum I know that this is better than WD40.

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0011

Looking good even though there seem to be water coming in.

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0012

12Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:11 am

desertbeemer

desertbeemer
Silver member
Silver member
when you pull the swing arm check the boot for cracks or being off not many ways for moisture to get in the swing arm lol my 2 cents

William Gornto Alamogordo New Mexico

mdangear

mdangear
Removed everything I could, but the shaft does not seem to want to come off, and I do not see any clip to remove as indicated in the manual.
Same for the pivot rod for the clutch, I tried hammering it out, but it is stuck even after I removed the clip and washer.

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0013

14Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:23 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
The shaft has a spline on the other end. The only magic holding it in place is time and neglect.
Put some vice grips on the tail end and belt them with a hammer. Carefully of course.

rossco

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

15Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There is an internal circlip in the spline of the UJ. If there is some rust which appartently is then this will make it very difficult.
Try puting dome diesel oil/fuel onto the spline where the shaft exits the gearbox and let it soak for 24 hrs then get a lever into the UJ and 3with the lever point on the gearbox case push forward on the lever with a solid thump and the shaft will be in your hand.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

16Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty finally got it Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm

mdangear

mdangear
I smoked a cigar, relaxed, tried again using a screwdriver to get some leverage, and finally git it after trying from several places. indeed there is not much holding the shaft, but until you find the right spot it feels stuck.
i gave up on the clutch pivot rod, remove the rubber boot instead and now the lever is hanging there but at least it looks like i should be able to remove the gearbox.
back to the garage!

17Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The bearings on the lever shaft lead a hard life there and if they are still pivoting freely then I just let the sleeping dog alone.

Remove the pushrod before you remove the gearbox except on a K75 where you can't get it out.

18Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Rick G wrote:The bearings on the lever shaft lead a hard life there and if they are still pivoting freely then I just let the sleeping dog alone.
Sorry Rick, but I got the opposite opinion on this.

It would a good opportunity to remove the shaft now while a lot of this and that
is out of the way, and renew the grease in the bearings.

Try to add some heat to the gearbox tangs.

19Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Inge K. wrote:
Rick G wrote:The bearings on the lever shaft lead a hard life there and if they are still pivoting freely then I just let the sleeping dog alone.
Sorry Rick, but I got the opposite opinion on this.

It would a good opportunity to remove the shaft now while a lot of this and that
is out of the way, and renew the grease in the bearings.

Try to add some heat to the gearbox tangs.
Inge I agree it should be fixed but letting it be is just my way.

20Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty the clutch! Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:34 pm

mdangear

mdangear
After watching 100 times the german video on how to get to the clutch I gave up on trying to remove the pushrod first. It seems that I have a K75 pushrod on my K100

K100RS Clutch fix Pushro10

I have now the gearbox out. Lots of metal powder in the clutch area, I assume this is normal wear, or maybe this is the result of the problem I had.

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0014

The gearbox spline looks beat, not sure if this could be the problem. Or something in the clutch itself?

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0015

Done for today in any case, time for a beer and relaxation, I am just a weekend mechanic after all :-)

21Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:47 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
With the bearing stuck on the pushrod it would be ok but usually the pushrod stays in the spigot bush and there is a chance of bending it. It is a K100 pushrod the K75 has a small mushroom at the front and does not come out backwards.
Could you post some more pics of the front shaft from the side it looks like it is worn and US but it may be OK if I can see it better I will tell you. It would cause bad downshifting.

22Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Gearbox spline Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:24 pm

mdangear

mdangear
For Rick and other experts in this forum, something to chew on. How does this look?

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0016

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0017

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0018

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0019

23Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:49 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Well I would use it if I had to but would replace it ASAP. You can often pick up a good used gearbox for a lot less than a new shaft. K1100 and K75 will do the job but K75 have a slightly lower 5th gear 1.61 - 1 for the K100 and 1.67 - 1 for the K75.
The K1100 is the same except for 2 tags on the bottom that take the paralever lower arm. There are some gear boxes that have the tags and are not drilled but esentially they are all interchangeable.
PS dont throw the old one out, they don't make them anymore and in the near future we may have to start fixing the splines.

Last edited by Rick G on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

24Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Thank you Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:37 pm

mdangear

mdangear
Thank you very much for the input. From what I read it seems that this is not where the main issue was. Next is dismantling the clutch.

25Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
When you say it wasn't changing gears was the gear lever flopping up and down without shifting?

26Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty The issue Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:59 pm

mdangear

mdangear
No, I was shifting gear and then the bike would make this high pitch noise and would not move.
I could feel the gear shifting but then it was as if the gear would not bite.

The closest I have seen in this forum to what I was experiencing is this:
https://www.k100-forum.com/t4301-clutch-problem

So far everything I have dismantled look ok, maybe not the best shape but at least good enough to be functional. Next for me is to dismantle the clutch itself, we'll see how it looks.

27Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:10 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Looking at the pic of the clutch I cant see a spline in the center so that would explain things. It is very common for that to happen when the shaft wears like yours has.

28Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:35 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Indeed, looks like there are no 'inner splines' left in the coupling plate.
I don't know if I would renew the shaft, can't see it well enough, but being pragmatic I would buy a new clutch plate and size it up on the shaft to see how much clearance there is. If you see an uneven wear on the shaft splines it should be replaced, but can't see that on the pictures as shaft mostly out of focus (for me :cyclops: )

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland K100RS Clutch fix Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

29Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty No teeth Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:47 am

mdangear

mdangear
Now that you mention, there are no teeth on the clutch side. All smooth. I like the idea of using the new piece to check the gaps on the shaft and confirm whether I need to replace, this is probably the best option.
Thank you all very much for the input, great to get support from all over the world, definitely makes me feel better when I am alone in front of the machine :-)

30Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:24 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Keep after it mate and thanks much for sharing this! Smile

OG

31Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Last piece Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 am

mdangear

mdangear
Finally got a 30mm wrench to remove the last part of the clutch.
Lots of oil in this area, not sure this is normal.

But the splines are looking really good on both side, so it looks like all I have to replace is the clutch plate, which had no spline left, plus the o-ring and self locking nut.

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0020

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0022

What should I use to clean the clutch area from all the metal debris? Engine cleaner? something else?

32Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:47 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Make sure to block off the seal area so nothing gets into the engine and hit it with a bit of degreaser and wipe it clean with some rag.

33Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Seal or no seal replacement? Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:51 am

mdangear

mdangear
Thank you for the input. This bring up another question:
I was advised to change the seal, but it looks good as it is, so wondering whether I should still replace it while I am in the clutch area, or leave it for now. The oil seem to be dripping from the o-ring rather than the seal, but not 100% sure.
Any input on this?

34Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:57 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The O ring is the common place to have a leak but I will bet that the seal is at least 20 years old, now you and me were at our prime at 20 but that seal has had better days, its a good idea to replace as they do very often leak after being disturbed and for the sake of the cost of a seal having to replace the clutch again and all the work. Makes a new seal sound easy.

35Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Questions Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 pm

mdangear

mdangear
Ok, replaced the seal, drilled 2 holes into it and screwed self tapping screws to remove it.
Another great tip I got from this forum.

Getting ready to put everything back together, but I have a few more questions:
- the friction plate I got from BMW looks nothing like the one that was in there. 5mm thickness when the other is still at 6mm at least. Pads on the old one, none on the new one.
Wondering if it could be a problem when I put everything back together.

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0023

Then I noticed washers on the clutch cover plate that are not shown on the manual.
Wondering whether they are here to accomodate the different friction plate?

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0024

Some fell, some seem stuck to the plate. Do I keep the washers, or do I re-install without?

Finally I noticed that while I was doing all this there is a little bit of oil coming out of the final drive. Not really a leak where oil is dropping, but the area is wet for sure. From what I read in the manual it is recommended to leave this assembly alone, but I am curious whether this is something I should be concerned about or not.
Note that the final drive was lying on the side, rather than in its normal position. I have wiped everything clean and stored it in upright position to see if it happens again. Until then has anyone seen this before? Is this something I need to deal with?

K100RS Clutch fix Dsc_0025

36Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Your old friction disc is non OEM, Luftmeister did have something similar which was
advertised as a reinforced race clutch.
The washers is added since the old friction disc is thicker, and you don't need them now.

The oil leak at your FD is coming from the seal that you can see behind the nut.
If it's just a small leak, you could still drive and keep an eye on the oil level.
But sooner or later you have to change the seal, a special tool have to be made up
to lock the FD, and another for the big nut with the four groves (the seal sits inside this).

Those splines begging for a lube................

37Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty thank you Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:51 pm

mdangear

mdangear
Thank you for the input, I suspected the washers were an addition, I feel better having a confirm that it is ok not to do so.
And even better if I can live with the final drive as it is for now. I would rather not get to deep this time around.

38Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:57 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Sidecar Paul (I think) did make lock tool for the FD some time back,
I'll guess you find it at the "how to" section.

39Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:49 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Yes Inge it was me, but I put it in 'Special Tools'

https://www.k100-forum.com/t3247-simple-bevel-box-locking-tool

Paul.

40Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I have to correct my earlier answer....it isn't neceserry to remove the
threaded ring with the four grooves to change the seal....only the big nut.

41Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty All done! Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:12 pm

mdangear

mdangear
I got my local BMW dealer to replace the final drive seal, did not feel like getting into this with special tool etc... Plus the torque on that nut is big and I do not have this kind of wrench either.
$150 later I have a brand new seal installed.
Put the bike back together, turned the ignition key. Engine started fine.
Went into first gear. No problem. sunny
Took the bike for a ride, feels perfect K100RS Clutch fix 723598

A big thank you to the members of this forum for all the knowledge accumulated here, all the advice provided, directly or indirectly. I am very happy that I did this, a nice little project over the past couple of month. And now I know how the guts of the bike look like, which makes riding the bike even more enjoyable.
Cheers!

42Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:38 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
K100RS Clutch fix 112350

43Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:21 pm

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
A suggestion I will offer is to lube the pinion spline every major service, at 10,000 miles. On Monolever Ks, removing the final drive to lube that spline is not terribly difficult (I don't remove the wheel or the shock, only the rear caliper to free up the brake hose and give you some room to roll the final drive back). That spline slides back and fourth with suspension movement and takes all the wear. Cleaning and lubing it at every major service extends it's life tremendously and adds maybe 15-20 minutes to your service time.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

44Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The only time the splines move against each other is if the uni joint end of the shaft is not properly pushed home onto the internal circlip which I consider to be one of the major causes of uni failure on the mono and paralever rear drives.
This will also cause major spline failure on a monolevers.

45Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:22 am

rawdonball

rawdonball
Gold member
Gold member
Jumping onto this old clutch fix post as there seems to be some good stuff here.

When you pull a clutch for a main seal change on the output shaft behind the clutch basket, how much dishing of the pressure plates is acceptable when doing this check for plane-ness with a straight edge?

Rick - I guess I am aiming this at someone like you Rick....
What is the worst amount of out of plane that you have seen on one that you have refitted AND got away with? If I put a straight edge from outer edge to outer edge of the plane surface on mine, I can get a 0.33mm feeler gauge to start to engage in the gap at the inner edge (if you follow me?)

46Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:06 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The only time I have used a dished steel plate is when I have used the matching clutch plate which is worn to fit.
However at .33mm I would be very tempted to try it if it was my bike.  If the plate that came out is still worth using then use it, it will be matched.

47Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:00 pm

rawdonball

rawdonball
Gold member
Gold member
Good point regarding the issue being far greater if rebuilding the clutch with a new or replacement friction plate...

Thanks for the reassurance Mate.

Have to say I am not impressed with the 'star washers' ordered from Bins. They appear soft as butter and looked to be splaying out in a mush instead of staying put under the flat land under the cap screw heads as design intended. Am convinced I would have been better off with refitting the originals - particularly in view of the time and effort to get them off the cap screws (yes I know the book says I should be using new ones)...

48Back to top Go down   K100RS Clutch fix Empty Re: K100RS Clutch fix Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have been using 7 x 1 x 40mm bolts from Repco (5 in a blister pack Champion brand) cut down to the correct length. They have hex heads and are reuseable. Star washers from same place.
I think I recall seeing them in super cheep.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum