BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Oil Pressure Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
Bike has been sitting for months while I worked on it. Didn't do any internal engine work but had all the covers off and also changed oil and filters.
On the center stand the oil level is correct but when I start the bike the oil level doesn't change in the sight glass. I'm assuming its not circulating oil. It does have a slight squeal but I don't want to run it long.
Am I correct that when running the oil level in the sight glass should change? Any starting point to resolve?

1985 K100RT

2Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:27 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
how long did you run it for ?
it would take a little while to fill up the filter
a lot of us put some oil in the filter before refitting it back to the bike ...
just a thought

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Does the oil pressure light stay on or go out?

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:51 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
The oil pressure light isn't coming on at all. I also think its run long enough to prime the filter.

1985 K100RT

5Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
If it is not pumping oil, do NOT run it! If there is no oil pressure the camshafts can seize in the head destroying it, as well as damage to the big end and main bearings. Does the oil light go out when it starts? How full is the sight glass before you start it? If it is over full, then it may not drop below the glass.

6Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:55 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
I'm not starting it again. The oil light isn't coming on at all. Hadn't noticed that before. The oil level in the sight glass is just over half way and doesn't move.

1985 K100RT

7Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:24 pm

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
oil level in sight gauge dissappears on mine when I start her up....

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Oil Pressure Au-log10

8Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:40 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
Any possible quick fixes or checks welcome.

1985 K100RT

9Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Best guess Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I think you should remove the oil filter & check to see if the rubber gasket became dislodged during the maint.
Another possability might be if the rubber o-ring gasket from the old filter stayed stuck to the bottom of the engine when you removed the old filter, you could now have two orings installed, when starting up, one of those two might blow out causing a leakage problem.
I assume you are sure that you used the correct filter?
As long as your in there, be sure to pre-fill the filter when you reinstall it to assist in getting a prime in the pressure system quickly.
I would be very interested to hear what you've found. I'm not knowlegable on weather the flter is on the suction side or the pressure side of the pump system. I'm sure others can tell us.

10Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
When I installed the new filter the old gasket stayed in place and I had to remove it. I used a K&N replacement so i'll double check it and I'll prime the filter. I'll update once I check it.

Other ideas welcome.

1985 K100RT

11Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:11 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Pretty sure the filter is the pressure side.
Pickup goes straight into the pump.
Did you disturb this little fella? The sealing o ring would cause a loss in pickup, but if you didn't touch it then it should be fine.
Oil Pressure 140

Don't want you to kill your bike, but are you being over cautious?

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

12Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:52 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
All I did to the pickup tube was wipe it down. The bike has run off and on about 30 minutes so not to cautious:)

1985 K100RT

13Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty One more idea Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:53 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I'm wondering if he left the bike standing for the long period as mentioned......with the oil drained and the filter removed?????
If so, the pump may just be too dry to pick up a prime??????
Keep us posted on what is found.
Do the most simple easy checks/fixes first.
We don't want to create more issues while trying to correct the original one. (Happens often)

14Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty If all else fails Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:55 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
You might try reinstalling the old filter temporarily as a way to eliminate any unseen possabilities with the K&N unit.
Possible defect or incorrect fit there?????

15Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:57 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
Sadly the old filter is gone but I'll get a bmw just in case. Is there a way to prime the pump?

1985 K100RT

16Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:17 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Someone else may have a plan, but all I can think to do is remove one of the covers and see if they are oily again? Sign of the pump working?

The pump should self prime. I had my engine apart and was cautious about starting it 'dry'. I was reliably informed the pump would work and the oil would flow in enough time to prevent any damage to the bike. It did.

Read down from HERE

Last edited by rossco on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link)

K1100RS 0194321

17Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:30 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
First make sure your oil pressure light is working or hook a pressure gauge to the system. A gauge can be plumbed in to the hole the switch on the pump is screwed onto.
Remove the switch on the pump (be careful as there can be a water temp sensor in the same area) oil should run out of that hole.
The oil pressure switch is the higher of the two and if there is only one then it is safe to assume that it is the pressure switch.
If oil does not run out of there pump a heap of oil into it (3oz or till it runs back out) then replace the plug and briefly start to see if the pressure comes up, should take a max of 10 seconds. If it doesnt turn the engine off don't try for any longer.
I will await the answer.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

18Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:03 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep good plan rick ....seems the best idea

i have seen those pumps go dry and not suck for ages

if an pump style oil can thingy could be found he could be lucky to pump enough in with a rag around the presure sensor hole to keep some presure in ...to get some flow into the pickup pipe as well

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

19Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
We used to crank a rebuilt engine without spark plugs in so as to distribute the oil before firing up. Just in case.

As for the filter, it is always on the pressure side, oil pump will pump the oil through the filter. A problem with the o ring may cause lack of oil. There is usually a bypass to prevent oil starvation if a filter becomes restricted but nothing to cover for loss of pressure due to o ring failure. If the filter were external this would of course show up on the ground!.

The genuine filter seems to have some non return flaps inside it, alterntives may not. That is a common difference between original and alternative filters.

Definitely check the oil warning light and the sensor. Either of those will fail with much more frequency than an oil pump. I would check the filter and O ring first [after checking the oil light is working].

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

20Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Just out of curiosity, which O-ring are you talking about? (Picture of ths system would be nice.) I changed oil and filter for the first time to my bike last autumn.

21Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It's the O ring on the oil pickup which you dont touch unless the pickup comes, nothing to do with anything you touch during servicing.

22Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:18 am

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
Rick G wrote:First make sure your oil pressure light is working or hook a pressure gauge to the system. A gauge can be plumbed in to the hole the switch on the pump is screwed onto.
Remove the switch on the pump (be careful as there can be a water temp sensor in the same area) oil should run out of that hole.
The oil pressure switch is the higher of the two and if there is only one then it is safe to assume that it is the pressure switch.
If oil does not run out of there pump a heap of oil into it (3oz or till it runs back out) then replace the plug and briefly start to see if the pressure comes up, should take a max of 10 seconds. If it doesnt turn the engine off don't try for any longer.
I will await the answer.
I'll try tonight and let you know. Thanks!

1985 K100RT

23Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:27 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:It's the O ring on the oil pickup which you dont touch unless the pickup comes, nothing to do with anything you touch during servicing.

Ok, thanks. Phew..

24Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:25 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
dmanley wrote:
Rick G wrote:First make sure your oil pressure light is working or hook a pressure gauge to the system. A gauge can be plumbed in to the hole the switch on the pump is screwed onto.
I will await the answer.
I'll try tonight and let you know. Thanks!

Rick - Oil pressure light is working and goes out as soon as the bike is started. I still removed the switch to check the pumps prime and oil flowed out of the opening. Seems the pump is pulling oil.

During the rebuild the only thing I touched was the oil filter. I installed a K&N filter. I could just remove that and install a BMW filter to see. Thoughts?

1985 K100RT

25Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:46 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
Drained the oil and removed the oil filter. The oil filter was full of oil and the gasket was stuck to the mounting surface. Not sure if that was an issue. Reseated the oil filter gasket, installed and filled with oil again. Started it and all seems good.

As soon as I started the bike you could see the sight glass empty as the oil was pulled through. Let it run about 15 minutes with no issue and shut it off. Once off the sight glass started to fill again.

Thanks for all the help!

1985 K100RT

26Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Great news! Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:50 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
So you definitely made a corrective change.
Was ANYTHING else done that may have affected the correction.
Can we assume it had ONLY to do with removing the oil & the filter?
The squealing sound that was mentioned in the original post is interesting. Could that have been a sound caused by oil squirting out around the gasket base?
Something still doesn't jive. If the leaking filter had been a cause, the oil would have moved down in the window.
I'm going to assume that for some reason, the pump had lost prime and was not moving oil. Still.....the original post seemed to indicate that the red pressure light was operable and had turned off as with at least some pressure.
It's a mystery

27Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:40 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
It's a guess but I think removing the sensor from the pump helped. Just a guess.

1985 K100RT

28Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:43 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Good result Daryl despite the unknown reason.

Obviously my brain was not a lot of help, but fortunately others use theirs in more creative ways than me.

rossco

K1100RS 0194321

29Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:48 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
I'll take it Rossco.

1985 K100RT

30Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:37 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Good outcome Daryl glad all is working. Oil Pressure 723598

31Back to top Go down   Oil Pressure Empty Re: Oil Pressure Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:42 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
Appreciate all the help.

1985 K100RT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum