BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Compartment Lid Lanyards Empty Compartment Lid Lanyards Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:43 pm

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Long story short, both compartment lids came off one dark night on the freeway! Crying or Very sad

This got me to thinking, how to avoid that scenerio in future . . .

Compartment Lid Lanyards Mod001

(above) The idea of lanyards came to mind, and last winter the parts were carefuly selected and
assembled. Note the lanyards are attached at the top end nearest the hinge (red arrows). Velcro is used to aid disassembly in the event the lids undergo restoration.

Compartment Lid Lanyards Mod002

(above) Essentially, matching velcro adhesive strips are laid into the back of the lids.* In the case of
the right-hand lid the base strip was cut in two to fit within the segmented compartments. On
the left-hand lid the strip is laid on the flat narrow edge (this compartment designed for radio installation so the other two edges are curved).**

Compartment Lid Lanyards Mod003

(above) With the compartments installed, lanyards prevent lids from accidentally falling off bike. :king:

Notes:
*The loops (smooth side) adhere to the lid and the hooks (fuzzy side) lay on top. The plastic
paddle with attached lanyard is then epoxied to the back side of the hooks.

** The adhesive strip is exposed under the paddle, though it's trimmed around the edges of the
paddle to contain unused adhesive.

Last edited by AJ.Valente on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   Compartment Lid Lanyards Empty Re: Compartment Lid Lanyards Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:49 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yeah I have come across a few who have done that, but not quite as neat as that, after losing a lid or two into the darkness.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Compartment Lid Lanyards Empty Re: Compartment Lid Lanyards Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Thats a nice neat solution - I was lucky enough to catch the radio cover just as it came up a couple of months ago whilst accelerating away from a fuel stop - I jammed it under my ass until I could pull over safely and refit. I was pleased with my reflexes but not something I'd like to do everyday. I shall be on the lookout for suitable materials to "borrow" your idea. Thanks for sharing it.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

4Back to top Go down   Compartment Lid Lanyards Empty Re: Compartment Lid Lanyards Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The lids seem to be almost as suicidal as panniers I had one come off at about 140kph and landed in my lap. I don't think I would be so lucky next time.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]