BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Yet another rear brake problem Empty Yet another rear brake problem Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:18 pm

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
So...bike is back together (took some pics...will update my driveline thread later).

..but Murphy's law being what it is...

Now my rear brake is still spongy (I have maybe 25% stopping power). Bled the bloody heck out of it (always the *worst* task, in my book). I noticed as I was building up pressure in the system, I was getting air bubbles coming up in the master cylinder with each press of the pedal. Not just a few presses, mind you--I'm talking about doing this more times than there could possibly be air in the line. Last time this happened on my R-bike a master cylinder rebuild was the only remedy. Am I looking at a similar fix now with the K?

The system sat dry for a couple months while the bike was apart--don't know if that might have effected the various rubber bits.

Thoughts?

2Back to top Go down   Yet another rear brake problem Empty Re: Yet another rear brake problem Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:47 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Mine is the same.
New master cylinder.
Swapped out calipers.
Pressure bled.
Vacuum bled.
One man bleeder kit bled.
Pump, bleed, nip,pump bled.
Vacuum bottle lower than calipers bled.
Vacuum bottle higher than calipers bled.
New disc.
Old disc
New pads.
Old pads.
No bulges in the old brake line, but that is the only thing I have not replaced.

Brake is still poo
Going to order a stainless line. It is my last option.
Might also buy shares in a brake fluid company.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

3Back to top Go down   Yet another rear brake problem Empty Re: Yet another rear brake problem Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:59 pm

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
tap your lines and fittings with a soft handle of something , i use electrical screwdriver, and leave reservoir open overnight with cloth cover, well worth the effort , these brakes do work well when they are right

http://www.airware.com.au

4Back to top Go down   Yet another rear brake problem Empty Re: Yet another rear brake problem Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:27 pm

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
rossco wrote:Might also buy shares in a brake fluid company.

LOL Glad to see I'm not the only one--I wish I could think of a use for all the brake fluid I've wasted!

tap your lines and fittings with a soft handle of something , i use electrical screwdriver, and leave reservoir open overnight with cloth cover, well worth the effort , these brakes do work well when they are right

I'll try it...that's the real frustrating thing. The bike really stopped on a dime before I started work on the driveline a couple months ago! scratch

5Back to top Go down   Yet another rear brake problem Empty Re: Yet another rear brake problem Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:37 pm

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
Totally understand your frustration, have done the fronts and backs three times each and each time it is different. Longest 2 full days and 2 full litres , shortest was most recent up front , first go five minutes.
Best of luck .
Possibly some clear PVC tubing and a couple of cable ties and the fluid could reticulate ?

Last edited by beanoldboy on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : afterthought)

http://www.airware.com.au

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum