BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Hi
Mate of mine has the above remnants from a 92 K1100LT. Can I fit to my 84 K100 without major modifications?? I did wonder about final drive ratios.
Ive done a bit of searching on here and am now a little confused about the 3 spokes as there seem to be a variety of rim sizes in this style or have I misread??
Thanks
Fent

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Drive ratios will be OK almost the same 2.91 or 2.82 The 3 spoke wheels will fit with a Paralever and the 2 types are K1100LT 17x3 and K100RS16v/K1100RS had a 18x4.5 which will take a radial easily.
Right footpeg plate needs to be replaces with a K10016v plate or modified to fit around the extra width of the swinging arm.
You could use the K1100LT footpeg plates but that needs a different battery cradle and gearlever and and and.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Fentible wrote:Hi
Mate of mine has the above remnants from a 92 K1100LT. Can I fit to my 84 K100 without major modifications?? I did wonder about final drive ratios.
Ive done a bit of searching on here and am now a little confused about the 3 spokes as there seem to be a variety of rim sizes in this style or have I misread??
Thanks
Fent

wow! fent .... if you dont take it i will ..... just joking (cant afford it with shiping, but its nice to dream )

but seriously if you were thinking of a big rear end that would be the way to go ...expect to pay a little more for rubber though

with all the new compounds on current tyres the old crossply is a good solution these days .....if you are on a budget

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
The gearbox should bolt-on to the K100's bell housing without modification. I'm uncertain whether the 1984 K100 has the same number of clutch splines as a 1992 K1100. That would prove to be a significant problem. Someone with more knowledge in this area should chime in.

As pointed out, the right footpeg plate will need to be modified or replaced to avoid interference with the swingarm. The K100 pegplate can be shimmed out at the rear to achieve the clearance needed, precluding changing the pegplates.

Transmission Gear Ratios: For K100s the transmission gear ratios of 2V and 4V transmissions are the same (Gearbox Ratios 4.50 / 2.96 / 2.30 / 1.88 / 1.61 : 1).

Final Drive Gear Ratio:Two of the more prevalent gear ratios (there are a few others) in 4V paralever final drives are 31/11 (2.82 - commonly found on K100RS4Vs and K1100RSs) and 32/11 (2.91 - commonly found on K1100LTs).  The higher the gear ratio, the more torque will be available at the rear wheel.  You'll get lower RPMs for a given speed and slightly better mileage with a lower gear ratio.

Since K100s usually have a similar gear ratio and 90 hp the torque at the rear end will be the same if you use a paralever with the same gear ratio.

Source: http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,2637.0.html

Have you seen this web page?

You can play around with the effect of different gear ratios versus engine RPM using the application on Anton's web page..

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The clutch is the same for K100 or K1100 but K75 is smaller but the spline is the same.
One other thing is that the shockie on a paralever is 30mm longer than a monolever they will interchange but you get a lower seat and slight change in geometery.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Thats great, I really appreciate you all taking the time to provide the help and advice that will keep me heading in the right direction. The only other issue I have left is; will the 3 spoke front wheel fit my K100 forks? I currently have standard forks in but am busy renovating a set of 'S' forks with the 2 piece mudguard.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Simple answer to the front wheel is not at all easy.
Axle spacers need to be made discs dont line up with the calipers are the two main problems. From an engineering point of view it can be done but it is not straight forward. Easy way is the complete front end from a 16v bike and it is worthwhile just for the better brakes.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Another posibillity would be a three spoke from a K75, same brake discs.

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Inge K. wrote:Another posibillity would be a three spoke from a K75, same brake discs.
  Hmm..... just checked out the price of a front K75 3 spoke, best part of £200 from motorworks with non available on our favourite internet auction site (on this side of the pond anyway). I can't imagine a complete front end from a 16v K100 will be any cheaper, better braking aside. Whats involved fitting the K1100 3 spoke? Is he axle diameter the same with the issue being spacing the wheel and the discs to line up??

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Different c/c distance between the legs, different diameter brake discs.

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Inge, Ricks right then probably not worth the hassle trying to modify it. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum