BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Folks,
I just put four way hazard flashers onto my 1990 K100 RS. I thought I would comment because the location of the connection is not all that self evident. BMW sells the switch units (at outrageous cost here in NZ I should add) which mount into the plastic pad which surrounds the ignition switch.

Undo the two hex head screws which are underneath at the edge which faces the tank. Lifting this off push out one of the the blanking plates for one of the spare switch positions and clip the BMW rocker switch in its place and feed the wire alongside the others using small tywraps to clip the cable to the wire, replace the pad and put the screws back in.

Now take the petrol tank off by removing the two clips which are at the rear of the tank and are accessible once the seat is off and the back edge of the tank is exposed. Lift the back of the tank and slide it toward the rear after you have unclipped the electrical connection to the tank. There should be enough flexibility in the fuel hoses to allow the tank to move far enough to get it at least half way back onto where the seat is.

Looking at the wiring looms on either side of the spine of the frame whilst standing on the left hand side of the bike as you would look at handing from the riders seat, look at the loom on the left of the frame spine. Move the plastic covered connections out of the way and look REALLY closely at the loom. Toward the front you will JUST catch sight of a flat plastic socket with wires going into it with the wires entering from the front of the bike, you are looking at the opposite end to what you will plug into.

It is only about 4mm thick and you will be looking at the top and side edge, plus it is taped with cloth tape to the loom. Having found it you cut the cloth tape and tease it out of the tape and will then see the open end into which the hazard warning switch cable plugs, treat it with DeOxit and plug them together. switch on the ignition flip the hazard switch and you now have working 4 way flashers. Note due to clever design the switch is dead when the ignition is off but if you switch the flashers on when the ignition is on and remove the key they will continue to work even though the key is out and the ignition is off, simply switch them off to stop them.

Whilst you are there under the tank consider separating the wiring plugs and sockets one by one and treating them all with DeOxit from CAIG Labs it really is the stuff to use rather than so called dielectric grease which is an insulator and silicone grease is really the wrong thing to put on plugs and sockets as silicone compounds can break down on contacts and create problems. All electrical connections can be treated ESPECIALLY the big multiway plugs for the Motronic and ABS controllers. If you actually take the tank off treat every terminal of relay in the relay box plus all of the fuses.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Admin

Admin
admin
admin
Thanks K-bike. This is very well detailed.

You just missed pictures, and you had them available. As a matter of fact, you provided us with the link but I don't know if you noticed it.
Check at the bottom of this page: Electrical connectors

cheers

Bert

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum