BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Clutch pushrod oil seal Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:05 pm

malcolmt

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where the clutch pushrod oil seal is located and how to change it ??
Looking at my Clymer manual it seems to get the briefest of mentions.
I'm sure its on a drawing of the input shaft parts, but how the heck do you get to it.
Hope the gear box dosent need to be stripped Clutch pushrod oil seal Icon_eek

Malcolm
Joburg,
South Africa

2Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:19 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
easy!

there is not seal on the push rod!
Hard to believe, but this is the fact.
What is your problem?

3Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:30 pm

malcolmt

Last year and less than one oil change ago I replaced the O ring behind the clutch basket.
The clutch started slipping and when dismantled the oil was defiantly from the engine and there was zero sign of a leak from the engine rear seal. So I replaced just the O ring, the clutch plate, and the nut.
The clutch started slipping again this weekend. At the moment only when winding on the power in 4th or 5th and the vent at the bottom of the clutch bell is OILY.
I’ve still to strip the bike but one suggestion I’ve had is to replace the clutch push rod seal.
This seems to be item 12 in the pic. Its quite a surprise to hear it doesn’t exist.
I’m thinking ahead and wondering what to change this time.
The transmission oil is red so its an easy matter to figure the source.
If the O ring has failed again what could be the real cause and what is a lasting cure to the problem ???

Clutch pushrod oil seal ShaftSeal

4Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Krs100

I just replaced this exact seal. It was a bit tricky to get out as my bike is an 85 k rs. The tranny side of the seal is metal so make sure to get all the old one out before trying to replace. I'd be happy to give more info to you if needed.

5Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:33 pm

malcolmt

Are you talking about the seal for the push rod or item 2 in my pic, the input shaft seal in the tranny case ?

6Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:57 pm

Krs100

I replaced the number 12 seal that you have marked in the diag.... the push rod seal.

7Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:51 pm

malcolmt

Can you give me an idea how you replaced it ??I've got some parts on order, one of them is the seal in question.

8Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:23 pm

Krs100

I had the tranny off when I replaced the seal. I would recommend a saw horse to hold the rear of the bike up and tranny removal. Use attention to have the bike rest on the frame while using the horse and avoid resting on the hard bag mounts. Once tranny is removed. Remove rubber boot off clutch arm so you don't rip it, (best to remove rubber boot and let hang before you remove the clutch cable) remove spacer, bearing,spring. Should be looking at the seal. Make sure to remove the metal backing to the old seal before replacing with the new. Use attention not to damage the tranny side surface where the seal is placed when removing the old seal.

9Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:31 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Thanks for the explanation.

I think on my page about the rebuilt, I show a wooden support on the back frame.

This is why pictures are always good. You know what parts you will need and what problem you can expect.

We should try to post pictures when we are doing something on the bike. It may help the "novices". that's why we have this forum....
Like the little kids in the school, we are playing "Show and tell"

10Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:53 am

Krs100

Picts are always great.. For sure. I didn't have chance to snap picts when I did this deal. Next time... CFrog do you know where a good source for a 12rivet output gear would be?? For an 85 K100rs.. Thx

11Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:57 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Well the best place would be Flee Bay (Ebay) or The IBMWR or Beemer bone yard

12Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:33 pm

malcolmt

I'll have my tranny on the bench over the weekend and take a couple of photo's.

As they say.. A photo SAVES a thousand words. haha

13Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:35 pm

malcolmt

Hi everyone...My clutch parts have arrived, I've just started replacing everything. Clutch pushrod oil seal Icon_bounce

I'm unable to fish the clutch push rod out of the input shaft, it would be a cinch if the tranny was dismantled.
Has anyone got an idea of what sort of tool I can make up to get at it, its got me puzzled Clutch pushrod oil seal Icon_question

Malcolm,
Joburg, South Africa

14Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Yes I know exactly your problem. I got the same one when I worked on my friend K75s
on the K75, you have to pull the rod from the front.
Part #14 is a bushing (press fit on the rod) and you have to use a hammer and a punch and tap right on the back end of the rod. The bushing (part #14 will slide out). The end of the push rod has a smaller diameter than the rest of it.
The diameter of push rod on the K57s is larger in the front too. This is why you cannot push it back.
The picture of the push rod is not of a K75s.

Clutch pushrod oil seal Clutch13

15Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:26 pm

malcolmt

I've got the old seal out and the new one fitted.
An old screwdriver was sacrificed, the blade was ground into a hook to fish the old seal out. The lads in the machine shop at work made a took to line the new seal up and wack it in place.

I'll post a couple of pics soon.
BTW.. i did the job with the tranny still on the bike.

Malcolm(t)
Joburg
South Africa.

16Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:54 pm

Kr4mo

Kr4mo
malcolmt wrote:Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where the clutch pushrod oil seal is located and how to change it ??
I'm sure its on a drawing of the input shaft parts, but how the heck do you get to it.
Hope the gear box dosent need to be stripped  Clutch pushrod oil seal Icon_eek

Malcolm
Joburg,
South Africa
See if you can borrow, buy or rent a seal puller tool.  https://www.harborfreight.com/seal-puller-with-2-tips-63039.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144811130&campaignid=12144811130&utm_content=117789281438&adsetid=117789281438&product=63039&store=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqbyNBhC2ARIsALDwAsCCWQn1kz7bYdsk0ZHp5CfPfI1dVMf1XiNEmtSyYb6hZEkiPdc4xTkaAoyMEALw_wcB
Clutch pushrod oil seal Image_26983

17Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:43 pm

Arlina

Arlina
Well, I think Malcolm got it after 12 years.... Razz

18Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:26 pm

SunnyPerth

SunnyPerth
Kr4mo wrote:
malcolmt wrote:Hi all,

Hope the gear box dosent need to be stripped  Clutch pushrod oil seal Icon_eek

Malcolm
Joburg,
South Africa
See if you can borrow, buy or rent a seal puller tool.  https://www.harborfreight.com/seal-puller-with-2-tips-63039.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144811130&campaignid=12144811130&utm_content=117789281438&adsetid=117789281438&product=63039&store=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqbyNBhC2ARIsALDwAsCCWQn1kz7bYdsk0ZHp5CfPfI1dVMf1XiNEmtSyYb6hZEkiPdc4xTkaAoyMEALw_wcB
Clutch pushrod oil seal Image_26983
KR4MO,

Did you use that seal puller to get out the push rod shaft seal ? 

I’m trying to replace that seal as we speak, and got some bits of rubber out of it, but the rest of the seal seems to be very much stuck. Not a lot of material behind it as well to hook behind? (And as I don’t really see what is seal and what isn’t, I’m a bit frizzled) 
So if you managed to use that tool from harbourfreight, then I will give that a try Wink ) (I have one)

19Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:28 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
If the seal is dry, using a brush to saturate that seal with automatic transmission fluid might aid in keeping it intact and releasing its grip. If you're reluctant to use your puller, you might need to excise it with a right-angle pick.
Clutch pushrod oil seal Scree313

20Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Removal of oil seals Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:12 pm

redrockmania

redrockmania
Silver member
Silver member
If you do a bit of service work on your motorcycle(s) a seal puller tool is a good investment for your tool kit. They are not expensive and allow for reusable seals to be removed without damage so they can be reused.Some oil seals are single use only and not reusable.  Without this tool there is a risk of damaging the surrounding metal when removing a seal, risking a future leak or the need to replace a damaged part.

21Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:44 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I don't remember how I got it out but when I replaced one if these I destroyed the first new one installing it. For the second one I drifted it in with a socket of the same diameter and that worked well to get it evenly seated.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

22Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:01 am

SunnyPerth

SunnyPerth
Thanks guys, all good info. I now know what I’m removing, pick in this and the other post helped me to see what it is I still need to get out. Have added a little crc, giving that a week to do its work, by which I should have my seal puller. (Never can’t have to many tools and I agree is a good investment! )

(Still have some time to do this, engine block is now painted and I’m ready to put it back on the table and start doing rear main seal, clutch, throttle bodies etc etc. )

23Back to top Go down   Clutch pushrod oil seal Empty Re: Clutch pushrod oil seal Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:45 am

SunnyPerth

SunnyPerth
SunnyPerth wrote:Thanks guys, all good info. I now know what I’m removing, pick in this and the other post helped me to see what it is I still need to get out. Have added a little crc, giving that a week to do its work, by which I should have my seal puller. (Never can’t have to many tools and I agree is a good investment! )

(Still have some time to do this, engine block is  now painted and I’m ready to put it back on the table and start doing rear main seal, clutch, throttle bodies etc etc. )
EBay kit came in, and 15min later the old seal was out. Piece of cake. Thx for the tips guys! (&girls)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum