BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   choke cable is it sticking Empty choke cable is it sticking Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:10 am

sandman jim

hi..collected my 1986 k100rs yesterday not been on road since july 2001 due to owners ill health..starts fine with choke on..when started and warmed up turned choke of and the yellow choke light went out... then when i turned handlebars to the right the choke light came on and the bike is over reving.. sometimes the choke light comes on and sometimes it does not when handlebars are turned to right but it still over revvs.. when turned to the left it does not overrevv..does the choke cable need adjusting ,,,and how do i do this,,,..when bike is idling she is at.. 1 rpm ..any help would be great as i am not a mechanic but i will have a go... i rode her 10 mile home she smoked a bit for about 6 mile then cleared,,there is no missing and she seemed smooth and pulled like a train and no misfiring... kind regards jim choke cable is it sticking Icon_smile choke cable is it sticking Icon_smile choke cable is it sticking Icon_smile

2Back to top Go down   choke cable is it sticking Empty Re: choke cable is it sticking Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:53 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Jim,

First, you must have a bit of slack on the cable. There is an adjusting screw at the end of the cable on the throttle body.

What you should do is to remove the gas tank and check if the cable is nice and free when you turn the handle bar.
You may have to re-route the cable.

The K100 doesn't have a choke. It's simply a system preventing the idle screw touching its stopper. (It's like giving a bit of throttle).
The "choke" lever doesn't affect the mixture air/gas as it does on a classic engine.

The real choke function is delivered by the EFI computer. It sense the engine temperature/rpm and enrich the fuel mixture by regulating the amount of gas injected in the cylinders. The volume of air is always constant according to the amount of suction generated by your cylinders.

3Back to top Go down   choke cable is it sticking Empty Re: choke cable is it sticking Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:08 am

sandman jim

hi..thanks bert what do i do first check the cable or adjust the screw on throttle body..sorry bert but where is the throttle body i am not a mechanic..regards jim

4Back to top Go down   choke cable is it sticking Empty Re: choke cable is it sticking Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:16 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Well, lift the tank, check the cable to see if its free. You will see the adjusting screw at the bottom end (left side of the bike in front of your foot).
Do not perform any other adjustments
Bert

5Back to top Go down   choke cable is it sticking Empty Re: choke cable is it sticking Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:58 pm

sandman jim

[quote="Crazy Frog"]Well, lift the tank, check the cable to see if its free. You will see the adjusting screw at the bottom end (left side of the bike in front of your foot).
Do not perform any other adjustments

bert

hi bert ..what i did was adjust the throttle cable at handle bar as there was no play in the twist grip only slightly adjusted turned the handle bars left to right perfect i am really happy at that..cheers bert.. regards,,jim choke cable is it sticking Icon_smile choke cable is it sticking Icon_smile choke cable is it sticking Icon_smile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum