BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Oil flush, is it needed? Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:55 am

sandman jim

hi..shortly i will be changing the engine oil and filter on my k100rs before i do the bike has stood for 8 years,, do i need to flush the engine if i do which is the best way to do this and which stuff is best to use i will be changing the gearbox oil as well...............when i collected bike i rode it 10 mile home she smoked quite a  bit like a white very light blue smoke for 6 mile then it cleared and she used no water...regards  jim   Oil flush, is it needed? Icon_smile  Oil flush, is it needed? Icon_smile  Oil flush, is it needed? Icon_smile

2Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Re: Oil flush, is it needed? Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:05 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I don't recommend flushing, but I would replace the oil and filter, ride for 500k and then replace oil and filter again.

3Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Re: Oil flush, is it needed? Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:25 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Jim,
I am a strong enthusiast for cleaning up old engines using high quality diesel engine oil like Shell Rimula or similar. Do NOT use flushing agents you risk destroying your engine because if they release clumps of crud those can block oil galleries and cause oil starvation. I have a friend who was an engine reconditioner and he told me he has lost count of the engines he got to rebuild from just that cause.
The diesel oil has a high soot carrying and detergent nature and gently lifts the deposits off so the filter can pull them out. Use a top quality filter as Bert says for the first 500 miles of preferably hot running (take a long trip. And change the oil and filter again putting the correct viscosity diesel engine oil in again. Any diesel oil recommended for mixed fleets is the way to go.
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Re: Oil flush, is it needed? Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:49 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
I bought a K75s cheap I used Slick50 from Halfords A good way to flush out your motor.

PS. Starter motor Brushes can give all manner of unexplained electrical
problem if worn low.

5Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Re: Oil flush, is it needed? Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I personally would take the whole sump pan off and give it a really good clean. You may get a bit of a shock to see what is in there!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

6Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Re: Oil flush, is it needed? Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:36 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Guys,
I would strongly suggest you DON'T use any PTFE based engine treatment in your engine. There is a wealth of info on the net about them. Your mileage may vary as they say.
Regards,
K-BIKE

roys

Silver member
Silver member
blakey wrote:I personally would take the whole sump pan off and give it a really good clean. You may get a bit of a shock to see what is in there!

Have a look at the befor and after pics.

http://cid-a5226878da38d80a.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/K100%20shared/Technical%20shots%20documentations/Oil%20Pan%20July%202009

Roy

8Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Re: Oil flush, is it needed? Sat May 01, 2010 8:45 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Old thread, but...
I've found this on a Goldwing site. It is a formula to do an engine flush to free up rings and remove general crap.

I have no idea if it works, but it may be useful to some people:

1. Fill crankcase with a 50/50 mix of cheap 30W and Dextron auto
    transmission fluid.

2. Start engine and run for 20 minutes at 3500 - 4000 rpms on the
    center stand...DO NOT RIDE with this mixture in crankcase...any
    loading might damage your engine. This will clean your engine
    internals and free-up rings. Don't be alarmed...your engine
    may SMOKE quite a bit with this mixture!

3. While the engine is warm, drain this oil mixture.

4. Replace oil filter (again).

5. Refill crankcase with high quality, motorcycle-spec 10W-40 oil...

There is a lot more here : http://www.randakks.com/TechTip24.htm

9Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Re: Oil flush, is it needed? Sat May 01, 2010 10:05 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
A buddy (professional mechanic and K100 rider) had a problem with the sprag clutch on the K100. He flushed the engine with this mix and solved the starter problem.

10Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Re: Oil flush, is it needed? Sat May 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
CF, it is good to get a confirmation for people who are just starting to restore their rides. Ajays has confirmed that synthetic oil does the same job, but this reasonably cheap option is also welcome.

I would use a cheap 20w-50 mixed with Dexron, simply because of price and ease of getting cheap recycled oils.

11Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Re: Oil flush, is it needed? Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:45 am

LifeGuard

LifeGuard
Silver member
Silver member
Hi, after so many years, what are your current recommendations on engine flushing? Over the past dozen or so years, the technology has changed a bit.
My "brick" K100RS has now been sitting for 5 years without being ridden (but started every year). This year I would like to replace its valve seals and adjust the valves. But first, give the engine a little flush. Is the diesel oil patent still recommended by you?

http://tchorzewski.net

12Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Re: Oil flush, is it needed? Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:13 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I would say that if you aren't having sprag clutch problems all you need is an oil change and a new filter.  Virtually all the oils available for the last 30 years have detergent packages that do a great job of keeping the crap in suspension until the filter can grab it.  As long as the oil was changed regularly less than every 5 years, 50,000 miles you won't have any sludge buildup to deal with.  

If you really need to know if dirt is building up, pull the valve cover and do a valve adjustment.  That will give you a pretty good idea of how much crap is in the engine.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

13Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Re: Oil flush, is it needed? Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:54 pm

LifeGuard

LifeGuard
Silver member
Silver member
Basically, you're right, if nothing is happening, there's no point in trying to fix it

http://tchorzewski.net

14Back to top Go down   Oil flush, is it needed? Empty Re: Oil flush, is it needed? Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:10 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:  As long as the oil was changed regularly less than every 5 years, 50,000 miles you won't have any sludge buildup to deal with. 
This seems to be one of those rare cases where less could actually be more. Smile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum