BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty RAM rear shock Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:21 am

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
Dear All (esp our UK brothers),

I have just now fitted my brand new RAM shock, fully imported from the UK.

RAM rear shock Dscf1911

RAM rear shock Dscf1914

After I unpacked it, I tried to turn the black damping adjustment knob. It was a fair bit tight, and not wanting to force anything, and being a bit curious, one thing led to another. (Ugghh!) I loosened the grub screw in the black knob and (of course) SPROING! The knob came off, a tiny spring and ball flew out and a multi-hole detent disc flew out. Anyway, being in a previous life a person with a modicum of mechanical aptitude (NCR cash registers, no less) I found all the bits and it wasn't too much trouble to work out how they all fitted together.

In my experimentation, I wound the brass adjustment screw fully ACW to a stop. Then I started to turn it CW, for about 3-4 turns, but not to a stop. When the black knob is fitted, it only allows a bit less than 1 rotation, ie, 14 positions. When I re-assembled the thing, I wound the brass adjusting screw fully ACW, then backed it off about 1/8 of a turn, and then fitted the black knob, detent disc, spring and ball, and stop pin.

My question is: With the black knob in its fully ACW home position, where to I set the brass adjustment screw before I tighten the grub screw which then allows a 14 position adjustment range?

BTW, the RHS bottom mount support plate from SCP is a marvel of precision machining!

Rickmeister.

2Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty Re: RAM rear shock Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:30 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
saw that uli ...horray for scp

good luck with the shock ...got no idea on the adjustment ..sorry mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty Re: RAM rear shock Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:02 am

Basic2

Basic2
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi Ulrich where did you get the support plate from?

4Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty Re: RAM rear shock Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:12 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
scp ...." side car paul "
really love the contributions from this guy ...

cheers paul !

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty Re: RAM rear shock Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:33 am

Basic2

Basic2
Platinum member
Platinum member
Very neat!

6Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty Re: RAM rear shock Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:08 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Nice to see the support plate in situ Ulrick,
 I'm pleased that it still works with the RAM shock. RAM rear shock 112350 

Paul.

Basic/2, details of how to make the support are here, see post no 35.

https://www.k100-forum.com/t5094-studs-who-wants-a-stud?highlight=stud

Last edited by sidecar paul on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link added)

7Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty Re: RAM rear shock Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Rick, don't forget that the shock is from the other side of the world...all adjustments are "upside down".

8Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty Re: RAM rear shock Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:58 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Does that then mean the rebound stroke is actually the compression stroke and compression, rebound?? Shocked

9Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty Re: RAM rear shock Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:24 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
No, you need to have the spring spirally wound in the opposite direction to compensate for the gravitational pull from the earth spinning the "wrong way" down there.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

10Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty Re: RAM rear shock Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
ainsjac wrote:Rick, don't forget that the shock is from the other side of the world...all adjustments are "upside down".
Now thats another fine mess you'll get us in Stanley. The bike is also upsidedown and the rider and the road at the top. Don't you know nuffin.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

11Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty Re: RAM rear shock Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:53 am

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
Hello Rickmeister
How did the new shock perform on the Guyra trip? I am about to buy one for my RS.

12Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty RAM Rear Shock Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:56 am

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Waz
Also fitted a RAM shock recently with Ulrich's help and only tried it out last Sunday on the Newcastle Toy Run. The shock (although only travelling a short distance) performed much better than teh Ikon shock.
Ann was on the back and the shock worked really well.
So, all in all , I can only recommend them. Cheers Tom

13Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty Re: RAM rear shock Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:35 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good onya tom ...good to hear

14Back to top Go down   RAM rear shock Empty re Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:24 pm

colinijohnson

colinijohnson
Silver member
Silver member
Fitted mine last year - perfect, espically for the annual pilgimage to Calais - 2 up, panniers full with beer, cheesees and rabbits!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum