BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Throttle cam gear wear? Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:11 pm

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
Hi all, yesterday I noticed I couldn't adjust all the slack out of the throttle cable (or so I thought) so I have spent today fitting a new cable. This is of course no bad thing, but I have found that the reason why it felt so odd and still had some play at the grip is because the cam is quite seriously worn, as you can hopefully see here nearest the chain (sorry for the quality!):

Throttle cam gear wear? Hi7sX8Q

The grip isn't nearly as worn, I would guess it is a replacement. The whole lot was packed with grease but maybe this wasn't always the case? Are these known to wear? Anyone know of a special place I can get one for less than the £16.80 plus post that James Sherlock demand, being the cheapest of the big three here in the UK? Part number 32721457036 if it helps.

It's easy enough to replace of course, I'm just a bit bemused as to why it should have this kind of wear at 60K miles. Question

2Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:20 pm

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
You'd have to do a heluva lot to wear out this gear as it's relatively non-stressed. Likely you've not seated it properly. 

Twist round the throttle grip while holding the gear in place; you'll feel it when its seated on the notch which will take up the most slack. The whole assembly will jump out without the cover plate secured, so be ready for that.

Oh, and make sure the teeth on the roller are clean and free of buildup (grease/gunk etc) so that the gears are interfacing as deeply/securely as they can.

Last edited by Kyle10 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : afterthought, of course)

3Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
This machine is new to me, first time I've been in here. Not my fault, honest guv!

What notch is this? I'm not really following 😕

4Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:31 pm

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
Throttle cam gear wear? <a href=Throttle cam gear wear? Throttleassembly_zps5c380c48" />

5Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:03 pm

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
Ah rightio. I notice there is also a line on the grip, probably halfway through the travel - does that mean anything?

Is it better not to have these gears covered in grease? Or is this just so that I can check them out more closely?

6Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
The 'line' is the no-teeth spot, if I'm tracking with what you're describing. You can feel it when pressing the wheel down while (whilst?) rotating the throttle grip. The first notches past this is where you want to seat the gear wheel.

Yes, you'll want lube in there but it does not take a lot. Lithium grease or moly paste, just a judicious smearing. You don't want it migrating into the cable itself, as the cable has a nylon sleeve that does not agree with lubes. It'll create sticktion.

7Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:50 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Snod Blatter wrote:I notice there is also a line on the grip, probably halfway through the travel - does that mean anything?

The line on the grip....should line up....with the line on the gear.
If it's the one on the picture you have in mind.

Throttle cam gear wear? Gassha10

8Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
It's not quite like that but close, it is a line on the round machined part to the right of the teeth on the grip (obviously, there is no left). I'll try and get a decent picture tomorrow but there's a good chance I have missed something, there's still quite a lot of silvery (molybdenum?) grease in there. Also the cam gear looks a little different and there is no O ring in the centre that I am aware of but it might all be interchangeable. You can see a bit of what it looks like here, I took the picture to show a friend the weirdness that lies within but as I say I'll try and take a better picture of this. Maybe the line does indeed line up with something on the gear.

9Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:19 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The line at the gear is at the same positions on both gears (relative to the chain), so you I'm quite shure you gonna find a corresponding one at the grip.

The one in my picture is a older Version, no o-ring present..just a lookalike.

10Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:44 pm

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
Meant to do this earlier but I've been distracted trying to find some replacement pipe to replace my cracking originals.. Anyway, the lines on the cam gear and the throttle grip do indeed line up, it made perfect sense as soon as I tried to put it back together and realised it'd be really difficult to know how to line the two up without any marks. It looks like this, sorry for yet more bad pictures but my phone is against taking things in focus..

Throttle cam gear wear? Pl83Cze

Funnily enough the cam gear is also polished/scratched up on the top where these badly worn teeth are, so my guess is that some gorilla didn't line the teeth up properly and then simply tightened the top down, crushing it all together. There is still some play now that it's all cleaned up too, so I think a replacement is in order. If they don't wear though perhaps it is worth my time finding a used item, surely they're not very sought after?

Also, totally off topic but do people normally fit 8mm or 7mm fuel injection hose? The fittings on the tank are 7mm and the inside of the original pipe is 7mm, but the writing on the outside says 8mm (and week 20 of 1987!). Motorworks also sell 8mm ID pipe, I'm a little confused. Maybe the original bit has shrunk inside a little..?

11Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:06 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
5/16 or 8mm is the size that you need, usually it's the same hose with different numbers painted on.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

12Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:14 pm

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
In the end I found a local shop with some 7.6mm hose which is a fantastically tight fit, though of course not having the proper bends in it made installation rather more difficult than it should have been. I'm not paying what BMW demand though..

To give some closure to this thread I received a new cam gear today after being told by a bloke at James Sherlock that these actually do wear and all their used ones are worn. It wasn't until after I had paid for a new one did I wonder why then do they list used items.. Anyway it arrived today (excellent service there) and it has significantly reduced the amount of slack in the mechanism. I can now feel the teeth as they engage because the gears are not matched, but it's not bad. Overall quite happy, though strange that some people reckon they don't wear (I wouldn't expect it) and others reckon they do. Good job they don't cost the Earth though either way.

13Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:24 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Question  Per your last photo--looks as if the gear is wrong or perhaps upside-down? I don't think it will seat properly and the cap won't screw down enough to secure the twist grip. Refer to the factory photo again.  If it doesn't look the same then the gear probably came from another bike, perhaps an R model.

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

14Back to top Go down   Throttle cam gear wear? Empty Re: Throttle cam gear wear? Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:57 am

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
The new one I got looks just the same, as do the ones available from the major retailers and seems to fit/work just fine. If by factory photo you mean the one Inge K posted then it's an older version, though it's a pretty serious redesign!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum