BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:18 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Any preference on the different styles of foot peg mounting bracket?

The early ones were rubber mounted and the later not? Any reason to choose one over the other if you have both?

2Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:56 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I'll have a go at answering this...

the early ones are ugly and the later ones look better. 

As they are an inanimate object made from aluminium/aluminum, they cannot be upset by that comment!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:12 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
the older ones can vibrate or resonate to a greater degree as they age, where as the newer ones being solid mounted wont

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

4Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:25 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
blaKey wrote:I'll have a go at answering this...

the early ones are ugly and the later ones look better. 

As they are an inanimate object made from aluminium/aluminum, they cannot be upset by that comment!
++50 ugly as

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:35 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
???'old' or 'new'???
Foot Peg Brackets $(KGrHqIOKo0FIkc)o5UqBSO6W(bPZ!~~60_35

???'old' or 'new'???
Foot Peg Brackets $(KGrHqV,!lsFI3dizOY5BSYuVkgZBg~~60_35

6Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:55 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Top piccy = old

7Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:56 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
blaKey wrote:Top piccy = old

Then I prefer the old...  Twisted Evil 

Does that make me sick?

But moving beyond aesthetics, from purely comfort and longevity, the newer are the go I assume?..

8Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:12 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"Then I prefer the old...  Foot Peg Brackets Icon_twisted "

I'm glad we all don't think the same! How boring would that be!

I can't comment on which is the nice/less vibration one, as I haven't ridden an earlier model.

Oops, just saw your post Keith. There's your answer floyd.

9Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:16 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Ya, just replaced mine this year (with the aluminum ones, not painted black as pictured). This was done to eliminate vibration problems as I switched to the hanging muffler mount instead of the direct bolt-on.

I also switched to the K1100 center stand, and I'm informed the newer footplate is necessary for clearance.

Lastly, the newer foot plate on the right side came with the same brake light switch as before. Not entirely clear on this, but it's mentioned in passing on the board that these changed after '85. 

So, not a simple direct upgrade unless you have all the little bits to go with.  Smile

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

10Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:27 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If you are using the stock rear wheel I don't believe you will need to change the foot plate its only when you run the wider K100/1100RS wheel that you do the mod because the wheel will sit 14mm off centre to the left.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

11Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:41 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
floyd wrote:
blaKey wrote:Top piccy = old

Then I prefer the old...  Twisted Evil 

Does that make me sick?

But moving beyond aesthetics, from purely comfort and longevity, the newer are the go I assume?..
You first have to picture the old one with 3 large rusty washers covering the worn out rubber bushes held in with a trio of daggy, stripped capscrews.  That's what they usually look like and the newer ones just look cleaner by comparison.

From memory there some muffler mounting differences between the new and the old types too, can't remember the detail though.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Foot Peg Brackets K-dogs10

12Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:08 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
don't forget that the older ones typically had different footpegs for the driver...with end weights,  the rubbers for those are a little different too

if you could get new rubbers for the mounts to gearbox, I would imagine them to be quite good ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:54 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
floyd wrote:???'old' or 'new'???
Foot Peg Brackets $(KGrHqIOKo0FIkc)o5UqBSO6W(bPZ!~~60_35

???'old' or 'new'???
Foot Peg Brackets $(KGrHqV,!lsFI3dizOY5BSYuVkgZBg~~60_35
There is another option Floyd, the changeover period, same as the 'old' style but with solid mounts.

Foot Peg Brackets Sam_0821

Paul.

14Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Gees Paul now it will take years to get a decision Laughing

15Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:13 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:If you are using the stock rear wheel I don't believe you will need to change the foot plate its only when you run the wider K100/1100RS wheel that you do the mod because the wheel will sit 14mm off centre to the left.
Ya, I've got a set of 3-spoke rims to go with my new radials, but haven't put them on just yet. I wasn't aware this would be a problem, but it makes sense.  bounce

Floyd: My bike was upgraded at some point with the solid-mount foot plates. So, ya, if you've got the older style it would make sense to at least change them to the solid style according to the service advisory.

16Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:42 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Are all exhausts interchangeable between the various footpeg brackets? 

Is it just the footpeg brackets and any associated mounting bits and pieces that are different, or are the fixed tangs on the exhausts different too?

17Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:54 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The 16v and 8v footpeg plates are different in that the 2 holes that attach to the pannier/muffler mounts are about 25mm further out on the 16v and the K1100 plates are different again where they mount to the bike but AFAIK the muffler mount is in the same relative place. So the muffler mounts are different by those amounts. 85 and earlier had a different muffler mount  which is similar to the K1100 mount but further to the front by about 50mm maybe 60mm.
If you aren't confused enough by that ask about Z1300 crankshafts. Twisted Evil

18Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:00 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote: ask about Z1300 crankshafts. Twisted Evil

Oh please, do tell me more...  Sleep

19Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:06 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
It's possible to use the rubber mounted K1100 pegplates on a 2V K bike.  All you need is some longer bolts and a few spacers for the Z rack/exhaust mounting and the bracket under the battery tray. I've done it on three different bikes, two K75s and a K100.

K100:

Foot Peg Brackets Dsc05810

K75:

Foot Peg Brackets 0.home.title.pic

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

20Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Sun May 04, 2014 7:59 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
how do the latest model 2v footpeg brackets fit to the bike?

Do they have spacers between the FPB and the gearbox or do they bolt directly onto the gearbox with no spacers or anything?

21Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Sun May 04, 2014 8:04 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
floyd wrote:how do the latest model 2v footpeg brackets fit to the bike?

Do they have spacers between the FPB and the gearbox or do they bolt directly onto the gearbox with no spacers or anything?

22Back to top Go down   Foot Peg Brackets Empty Re: Foot Peg Brackets Sun May 04, 2014 4:10 pm

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
+1

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum