BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Gas tank: Breather pipe Empty Gas tank: Breather pipe Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:35 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi RT and welcome. Two breather pipes which exit near the right foot peg so should have thin petrol resistant rubber tubes attached.

The other alternative is a small cup (I forget the name) which sits underneath both and has one tube exiting in the same place.

Tubes may still be there but have been disconnected or fallen off when the tank has been lifted.

Regards,

Phil

2Back to top Go down   Gas tank: Breather pipe Empty Re: Gas tank: Breather pipe Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi RT we have a new members into section but you are very welcome wherever you introduce yourself, good to have you here. In my case the two pipes are the fuel overflow drain and the breather from the battery.

For you with your bike a big benefit of the work Bert has done on the electrical circuit diagrams is that they show a bike which is similar to your vintage because the ex-Police bikes can have some really confusing and sometimes very bodgy rewiring and additions put into place and the best thing is to return them to standard removing any stray wiring that is no longer connected as the risk is some may still be live and a potential source of short circuits. The official BMW wiring diagrams are RUBBISH and yes I am shouting, they are hard to read and hard to trace. Using Bert's diagrams is like looking at the map to plot a trip down to Kiama - easy as falling off a log.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   Gas tank: Breather pipe Empty Re: Gas tank: Breather pipe Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:35 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Here is the small tray or cup. With this, you don't need to connect the breather pipes to the tank.

Gas tank: Breather pipe Tank_t10

4Back to top Go down   Gas tank: Breather pipe Empty Tank Breather Pipes Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:14 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks to everyone who answered my query. Should there be any tubes attached to these pipes inside the tank.My tank has been stripped inside at some time to put a coating in and I cannot see in my BMW book if anything should be attached to the tops of these pipes. Otherwise it looks like the fuel will just run out. Yep, you guessed it, mechanical genius gene is missing from my DNA. I live on the mid southern coast of Eastern Australia, we ve had 16.75 inches of rain since Feb 1. Not a bike in sight.

5Back to top Go down   Gas tank: Breather pipe Empty Re: Gas tank: Breather pipe Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:13 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
As far as I am aware they should be a solid pipe to the top of the tank. One acts as a breather or overflow for the fuel filler and the other acts as a breather for the fuel tank itself so very important they are not blocked.

Aside from the recent rain Robertson sounds like a really nice place. Hadn't heard of it before but looks like it would be well worth a visit. How about some pics?

Regards,

Phil

6Back to top Go down   Gas tank: Breather pipe Empty Re: Gas tank: Breather pipe Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:19 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Phil
one day I'll figure out how to attach photos here but that will have to wait. I just found that one indicator light is not working so now I have to remove all interior boxes and lining on one side to get at the connection. Also need to replace a side mirror glass, I'm told they just pop off but am not game to lever it off the spare bike. Still raining. Ha.My best riding time is Autumn before it ices up. Prob the same for you.
Regards RT

7Back to top Go down   Gas tank: Breather pipe Empty Re: Gas tank: Breather pipe Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:09 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
RT, I don't want to mess up this breather thread but will pop this in about the mirrors:

how to change mirror glass

8Back to top Go down   Gas tank: Breather pipe Empty Re: Gas tank: Breather pipe Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:09 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks my friend , trouble is now i've been getting so much help I have no excuse not to get into it. Let you know what happens
Cheers RT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum