BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   rear spline lube...what the? Empty rear spline lube...what the? Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:47 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
rear spline lube...what the? Straightoffthebike</A>

Well, after using Penrite Molygrease EP 3% (general purpose NLGI 2 lithium grease with
MB) for 2,000k's, I checked to see what the splines looked like.

I wasn't impressed... rear spline lube...what the? Icon_eek

There was no grease left on the teeth as it was flung off due to heat/speed.

I'm trying the Molybond 50% moly "paste".

Last edited by blakey on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 2,000k's not 200!)

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

2Back to top Go down   rear spline lube...what the? Empty Re: rear spline lube...what the? Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:40 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Three percent moly is way to little. The usual recommendation is to use Honda spline lube which is obtainable from your local Honda agent. That is used by many BMW dealers nowadays as the genuine BMW recommended grease has fallen out of favour.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   rear spline lube...what the? Empty Re: rear spline lube...what the? Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:54 am

I was just replacing the rear tyre on my bike and remembered it was time to at least check the rear splines for grease...the previous owner had literally filled the entire driveshaft housing with what appears to be a blue marine-grade bearing grease. There wasn't enough room in there for it to spray off the rotating splines! They were "soaking in it", as Madge used to say on that old dishwashing liquid ad on American tele back in the day. Come on you oldies, some of you are young enough to remember it!.

rear spline lube...what the? Madge10

I spread it round a little bit more, then bolted it all back up. The splines look like new. When this tyre's done it's inside we go for the other spline's maintenance.

4Back to top Go down   rear spline lube...what the? Empty rear spline lube...what the? Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:06 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Ya know you're soaking in it !, yep, remember it well.
I struggle to post pics on the forum, otherwise I would show you my "brew" for the spline re-lube. Basically this is my method-
1. Clean and dry both male and female parts thoroughly. Inspect, naturally, and assuming all is well, I proceed as follows.
2. Spray both parts (M & F) with Loctite Moly Paste 51050 (65% Moly Disulphide) available in 340 gram spray can. Allow to dry (very important), looks like grey primer when dry.
3. My brew - Molybond GA50 assembly paste (50% moly), mixed with Castrol Optipit grease (1000cst base oil with tacky additive, don't get it on your hands !), then add a liberal amount of powdered graphite and mix thoroughly (I use an icy pole stick)
Apply liberally to both splines then assemble. I check mine annually (about 10,000Km's) and it's always still there.

I think there is an American lube which is a mixture of Moly and Graphite, can't remember the name, sorry.

5Back to top Go down   rear spline lube...what the? Empty Re: rear spline lube...what the? Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:42 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks for the tip ...and pic blakey

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum