BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Wire wheels on my Kay Empty Wire wheels on my Kay Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:57 pm

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Hi guys,

Here's a problem that I need to resolve before I can continue with my Sixties Style Kay Cafe Racer. It MUST have wire spoked / alloy rimmed wheels to look correct [ IMO]. Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_cool

I have a Mono K100RS and a Para K1100RS as donors - don't mind which one I use.

I have bought an R1100GS front wheel which is arriving this week - hopefully I can use that.

Any ideas on a rear? I guess the Mystic wheels will fit, but they are like Hen's teeth and very expensive anyway. Ideally I need a wheel that has the disc attached to the bevel drive so I can use my existing assembly. Any ideas if an R1100GS will fit?
Then I've just got to ditch that alien spoke attachment for a traditionally laced flanged alloy rim and I'm somewhere near.

All input welcome. Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_lol

2Back to top Go down   Wire wheels on my Kay Empty Re: Wire wheels on my Kay Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:18 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Beachcomber,

There are a couple of K75/100 GS conversions which I expect you would have seen on the net if not just google and I can only imagine they are using R-GS wheels. I think there is a post on here from Steve Downs which is to do with a bike he was building and heading in the GS direction.
Just as a start I am pretty sure the R-GS also uses a four stud rear wheel so if the spacing was the same it would be a start.

Regards,

Phil

3Back to top Go down   Wire wheels on my Kay Empty Re: Wire wheels on my Kay Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Phil thanx for the input. Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_lol

I have taken a gamble on the front - just bought an R1100GS wheel and tyre.

I was a bit concerned about the rear - as you say R1100GS "looks" right. It's really just the positioning of the disc /caliper. A straight bolt on would be nice! Not worried about offset as BMW allow 3/8" variation on the centreline front to rear for their various width rear wheels on Kays.

I have a 4.5" 3 spoker on my k100RS Streetfighter and next week will be offering up a 5" x 5 spoke Wobbly Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_twisted . The stocker Kay is 3.5"?

Spoke [ ha,ha] to Central Wheel co. yesterday about fitting up flanged alloy rim with central laced spokes. Large intake of breath - "Ohh, don't do that there". Ah well, there's enough examples around that have !

I'm trying to persuade my tame alloy basher to knock me up an AJS 7R style tank for the Kay - not sure if it will look right at the front?

4Back to top Go down   Wire wheels on my Kay Empty Re: Wire wheels on my Kay Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:08 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I am soooo looking forward to photos of this bike when it's finished...

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

5Back to top Go down   Wire wheels on my Kay Empty Re: Wire wheels on my Kay Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:22 pm

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Blakey - me too! Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_bounce

I've got some "work in progress" pix of my Mk3 Streetfighter [ already Mk4 is on the workbench] in final mock up awaiting strip down, painting and finishing.

I've just had a quote for the wheels to relaced with st.st spokes centre laced onto Alloy flanged rims - gulp. Wire wheels on my Kay Affraid OK, the Mk1 version might just be the stock r1100GS wheels, gold powder coated until I can re-mortgage the house for the alloy rims !

I'll have a go at uploading a picture of the current Mk3 Fighter later today - when my kids get back from Uni !

6Back to top Go down   Wire wheels on my Kay Empty Re: Wire wheels on my Kay Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:10 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Beachcomber a bit more reading for you:

http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/rearconv.htm

Interesting I found the picture of the K75"GS" and found he is still using the standard wheels which would be absolutely useless in any serious off road stuff as they are just too soft. DAMHIK

Regards,

Phil

7Back to top Go down   Wire wheels on my Kay Empty Re: Wire wheels on my Kay Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:59 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Thanx for the headsup Phil. Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_biggrin

I have already got the R1100GS font wheel - arrived yesterday - I can't see any real problems. With the rear, I think I have to go also with R1100GS, as I want to keep the disc brake para rear end I already have.

I nearly had a heart attack when I got a quote for new alloy flanged rims and stainless spokes / rebuild. Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_eek So........ I think I will have the stock rims powder coated Gold initially [ cheap option ] and then get alloy flanged rims as funds allow.

However, the wheels were really the turning point as to whether the Cafe Racer [ '60's style ] would be a goer. All I need now is a suitable seat - the Ducati Desmo unit that I used before on Airheads - is probably a little too small Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_mad - we'll see.

The bottom line is that I now have all the major parts [ back wheel excepted], so the project is definitely on.

After drawing blanks all round with suppliers for a Gold Star style silencer in 2" intake bore, I contacted Armours more in hope than expectation.

Wow, what a revelation - none of this sucking thro' teeth and "Ohhh can't do that there - not standard". Couldn't have been more helpfull - just got to send them a sketch of where I want the brackets and 2-3 weeks later, I'll have a custom made Goldie silncer. They are an old established firm - with obviously old established customer care ideals - long may they survive. Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_cool That's in heavy duty material and triple plated. Stainless steel will cost another £40 and be 4-5 weeks. If only everything was as easy!

8Back to top Go down   Wire wheels on my Kay Empty Re: Wire wheels on my Kay Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:21 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Now how about a seat off a Thruxton. As for wheels and exhausts it appears if you lop two cylinders off, angle the other two at 45 degrees and put them in line with the frame there are no end of modifications available. Very Happy

Yes I have watched too many "biker build offs" but having said that fabricating a seat does not look too difficult but like everything it has something to do with the depth of the wallet.

We await the pictures. A Cafe Racer is Born perhaps??

Regards,

Phil

9Back to top Go down   Wire wheels on my Kay Empty Re: Wire wheels on my Kay Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:05 pm

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Phil,
I tried the Duke seat on this am - totally wrong - futtox. Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_mad

The only problem with the Brit replica stuff - is the price! Totally out of all proportion to the material x time x normal profit margin.

As you may have gathered from my recent shox, plug leads, exhaust posts - I DO NOT like to pay over inflated prices for products.

I have a contact who imports Tarrozi Cafe Racer parts, and has a good line of period GRP products - fairings, panels, mudguards and seats. I'll have a trawl thro' his stock list later. One of the Big Honda seats might be close. Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_wink
I also tried my modified Triumph CR GRP tank [ late 60's] and it's not far off in shape, but the tunnel and underneath would need removing and starting again - NO, I might as well get the proper job made in alloy - I'm only passing this way once. Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_sunny

10Back to top Go down   Wire wheels on my Kay Empty Re: Wire wheels on my Kay Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:17 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Can't blame you re prices of spare parts let alone modifications you can hear the "ka-ching" as soon as you start asking but the seat I was referring to was a modern Thruxton which may be available unfortunately through wrecking yards but again fit is going to be a problem However the method of extending or fitting a removable cowl tends to achieve the same effect but anyway just throwing some ideas around.

I do like the idea of a non-fuel injected K and there was a comment on another forum of how one would look (and sound?) with two twin choke webers out the side. Twisted Evil

Regards,

Phil

11Back to top Go down   Wire wheels on my Kay Empty Re: Wire wheels on my Kay Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:10 pm

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Phil - re: Webers,

I went down that route for a laugh as I had a pair of DCNF Webers [ Down draught ] from a Porsche 356 Speedster replica I was building and believe it or not everything lined up ! That DID look the biz. However, still the ignition / mapping situation AND I doubt if there is a real advantage - apart from looks! Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_cool

How's about this then - the TRIPLE bodied Downdraught Weber [ as 911 Porsche] on a K75 !!!!!!!!! Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_twisted Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_twisted

Re: seat - yes I understand now. However I suspect the Dick Turpin [ Ned Kelly ]pricing will still be there. No probs re; seat hump cover removal as I never take passengers, so the seat will be single from the off. I have located the Honda seat I was thinking of and I am just waiting for the dimensions to come through - shape is fine. Cost brand new [ base only] - £55, that's more like it. Wire wheels on my Kay Icon_lol

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum