BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mhsilverw

mhsilverw
Had a look and re-grease of the driveshaft splines on the recently acquired K75C.

This was what I found and what I used to grease them with...... :| 

K75 Splines - Hopefully better than no grease..... K75c_s10

Unable to source any Honda Moly60 in my part of UK, but a local accessory place sold this Castrol Moly Grease...

Not being an expert any thoughts on both the state of the splines and the use of this grease, so I know for the next time.... Question 

My objective was to check it, and re-grease, before doing too many for piece of mind. So I can ride in between the showers in this yr's UK summer!

As the bike is a 1985, I was expecting 16T splines but that doesn't seem to be what's in there (or were they on K100 only)...is this what would be expected to find on a 75 of 1985 vintage Question  

Hopefully what I have done/used is ok and better than no grease (he hopes, hopefully).  Embarassed 

Mark

This was the blurb on the grease that I cam across, from OPIE Oils in UK, before finding it locally. The comment "....maybe used in a dry..." "...an application in sliding motions..." seemed to suggest it may be suitable and that it contained molybdenum...

K75 Splines - Hopefully better than no grease..... K75c_g10

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That Moly grease is probably 3% moly. The Honda grease is 60% moly and that is what is needed. A 3% moly is next to useless for splines, it wont take the pressure that is excerted on the faces and very quickly loses it's lubrication properties.
It is better than no grease but not very good for the long term.
I use a product called ROCOL GA50 and it is an assembly paste for use on camshafts when assembling new engines. I don't know if you can get it in the UK but I would go to one of the auto places that specializes in high performance engines and ask them what they use.  The Staburags that BMW recommend is an engine assembly paste.

All K75 had 20 spline shafts. I think they used up what they had in 16 spline shafts on the K100 and then went to 20 spline shafts there as well.

Contrary to what is commonly believed the splines on the K100/75 don't slide.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
just a heads up

some of the manufacture dates are misleading

having said that there is a good explanation

something along the lines of late in the year ...= next years delivered bike so a 10 -85  would probably be an 86 model

interesting as it may be, mine had a 16 spine shaft and is supposed to be an 86  go figure ???

have you tried a honda dealer for the driveshaft paste ?

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
charlie99 wrote: some of the manufacture dates are misleading

having said that there is a good explanation

something along the lines of late in the year ...= next years delivered bike so a 10 -85  would probably be an 86 model

Production for the next years model starts in september, but it have been a few exeptions. (SE models).

charlie99 wrote: interesting as it may be, mine had a 16 spine shaft and is supposed to be an 86  go figure ???

Not that strange, Charlie........Your bike is produced 10/85, the change from 16 to 20 spline was 02/86.

mhsilverw

mhsilverw
RicK G wrote:It is better than no grease but not very good for the long term.

I had tried to get some HondaMoly60 but seems to be on back order and quite scarce in UK - the only place I could find that stocked it said next delivery could be a month or so away  Crying or Very sad 

I needed/wanted to get the bike on the road so had to check it over to get a new MOT so did some tidying as prep for that (and the splines seemed something worth checking out).

My objective was partly to check splines and if useable and (if ungreased) grease them.

My plan is, when the rear tyre is to be replaced, will be to do it again. This was really a look-see that there were some splines in there, and their state, before using the bike too much.

Fingers crossed this will be sufficient until new tyre needed and I can locate source some alternate grease... K75 Splines - Hopefully better than no grease..... 78846 

M

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks inge

K75 Splines - Hopefully better than no grease..... 112350

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
:BW:

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
What would we do without him Charlie?

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Searched the online part manuals?................thanks, Rick.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Otherwise just go the the UK usual suspects and get the Optimoly T paste..... Spending some time reading the forums can be really beneficial :-)

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland K75 Splines - Hopefully better than no grease..... Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum