BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
One morning my battery was completely dead. Not even the clock worked. There was never an issue before and I had just installed a brand new Odyssey battery so it made no sense. 

After some troubleshooting with Robmack and suggestions from other members smarter than I am when it comes to electrics, the culprit is still undetermined but the issue has been narrowed down to two things, either the ABS relay is fried or the alternator is causing a draw - TBD you can follow the journey here.

In the meantime Robmack suggested I get a battery cut off switch so I can turn the battery off to prevent another dead battery. Here's some photos of the procedure of installing a keyed battery cut-off-switch on a K100RS 16v:

You can order the battery cut-off switch shown here online from Princess Auto here.

Here is the keyed switch attached to the ground. The Odyssey gel batteries come with L-brackets. I had to rotate the ground (-) so it was facing up and I had to drill a hole to accommodate the switch bolt larger than the stock terminal hole. 

Adding a keyed battery cut-off switch to a K100RS 16V Photo_11

I then used tin-snips to reduce the depth of the plastic key so it could turn the switch/battery on. The key is too deep to fit over the BMW computer - that rests on top of the battery - but by cutting 1/2" off the lower portion of they key it gives you enough clearance to turn it. 

The only other adjustment I made was pushing down on the switch itself to bend the L-bracket down 1mm. This gives you just enough room to screw in the bolts securing the computer to the battery clamp. 

Here is a photo after the install, the switch is tighter than a snakes ass in a wagon rut but it works perfectly. You can't see it from this angle but the red key is in the off position, when it's turned clockwise (on) the lower half of the key is cut to so it can be turned with ease clockwise over the computer...

Adding a keyed battery cut-off switch to a K100RS 16V Photo_13

c

Last edited by TSBT on Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Great idea, that'll fool the thieves as well. Oh wait, I want someone to steal mine.
No actually I think I will do that as well.
Thanks for the tip
RT

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
RT wrote:Great idea, that'll fool the thieves as well. Oh wait, I want someone to steal mine.
No actually I think I will do that as well.
Thanks for the tip
RT

Exactly, just and don't forget to take the key when you park it  Very Happy

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Interesting you should say about the association with the ABS and a flat battery.  My wife's K75 was always having trouble with the battery draining until Tosi Tabuki fixed the ABS computer. Strange it may seem but I can't find a connection with the battery and ABS unit when the key is turned off but once the ABS had been repaired all was good and the bike can be left for weeks with no battery drain at all.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
RicK G wrote:Interesting you should say about the association with the ABS and a flat battery.  My wife's K75 was always having trouble with the battery draining until Tosi Tabuki fixed the ABS computer. Strange it may seem but I can't find a connection with the battery and ABS unit when the key is turned off but once the ABS had been repaired all was good and the bike can be left for weeks with no battery drain at all., he sound like a genius!
 Wow! Thanks Rick I'm curious if this is the same issue.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum