BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
A Koni rear shock absorber for a K100.

Rebuildable? Yes! No?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Neil,

contact IKON [ KONI - get it?]. They took over the Motorcycle side of Koni's products. They're in Oz somewhere.

TJ

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Very helpful, but they are all about selling their IKON products. I've talked with suspension people in Victoria (can't recall their name) and they will rebuild shocks. Over the phone average price I was given was around $120. Worth talking with a few of them to get a price comparison.I opted for the Ram shock in the end, a new unit, because I could afford a price difference at the time.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Phil, thanks for the link.

Thanks folks, I'll check out some places.

Last edited by blakey on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to say thanks to Phil)

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Phil,

I see there's a link for Ikon, so I guess it's OK protocol to give you the RAM shocker site. Koni rear shocks are rebuildable aren't they? Icon_lol In the event you can't rebuild your Koni, check them out.

These shox were developed after 18 months of testing and liaison ESPECIALLY for the Kay series. Koni rear shocks are rebuildable aren't they? Icon_cool That has included feedback on various forums as to what people wanted in a shocker. Also club d/c of 10% offered. Ask Ned how good they are ! Thse shox are manufactured by a company with decades of knowledge in building speciality and competition shockers.
www.realmengineering.com.

They ARE rebuildable, and Realm have developed an inexpensive rebuild kit especially for you guys accross the various Oceans [ USA, Oz, South Africa].

I have a stock length and a 1" shorter version fitted to my K100RS and K1100RS. No compalints from me. Koni rear shocks are rebuildable aren't they? Icon_sunny

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Beachcomber,

Can't see a problem with any links for products being added but obviously that is up to the moderators discretion. The fact that we can still get parts relatively easily for a bike of this age is a bonus but to get something newly developed for something 26 years old is even better still.
Probably would not hurt to put it in the "Parts and Accessories" section of the forum as well.

Regards,

Phil

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Phil,

as a new boy here I don't want to offend or ruffle feathers. Koni rear shocks are rebuildable aren't they? Icon_lol

All the other relevant forums have accepted that the parts have been developed for Kay users and I always negotiate a 10% clubmembers d/c.

For those who haven't seen these items on the other forums and my involvement - a quick explanation. I am retired from business - I have got an old business associate to make/develop these parts - I gain NO financial reward [ apart from a VERY good deal on my own parts ].

Maybe the "boss" can give me the protocol to post in "parts and accessories"? Koni rear shocks are rebuildable aren't they? Icon_wink

If my integrity needs a backup - maybe check out with Ajays, Ned, JBW........

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Beachcomber your profile on other forum's has shown you behave with excellent ethics, so good on you for telling us about the shocks and leads, bottom line the price is better and they have been developed for the K
Regards,
K-BIKE

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Beachcomber and you may find it hard to ruffle feathers here or offend for that matter but fair point.

As for financial reward I can not see a problem even if you did as we all have to "make a quid" and if you can do it recommending a quality product it becomes a "win-win" situation. Very Happy

I think we need a page in the parts area that can be appended/ amended to add or change links or sites because they are probably spread throughout the forum.
A mini Wikipedia if you like but I don't want to add additional work for Bert so if there is an easy way to do it well and good.

Regards,

Phil

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Thanx for the kind responses. Having run my own businesses up until my retirement in 2002 AND the fact that they were of the "personal service" element - ie making bespoke cars for clients, it was far more important to have a good rapport with customers than the monetory reward! I was fortunate in as much as my Hobby was also my business, which made things much easier. Koni rear shocks are rebuildable aren't they? Icon_cool

Yes good idea about a seperate section - don't know what that entails, but several of the forums have a section for Club members - Good service, parts and or discounts. Koni rear shocks are rebuildable aren't they? Icon_wink

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Resurecting an old thread.

I have found an original KONI (not ikon) shock for sale for $100.
Is it worth buying?
Still waiting to hear on the condition of it from the vendor.
Just heard and the shock is sold. poo

Thanks for the replies guys
 Koni rear shocks are rebuildable aren't they? Koni10

Last edited by rossko on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
rossko wrote:Resurecting an old thread.

I have found an original KONI (not ikon) shock for sale for $100.
Is it worth buying?
Still waiting to hear on the condition of it from the vendor.
hmmm... find out if you can get it serviced first. BTW IKON is the KONI replacement.

The problem was this:
a. was that model able to be recon, in my case yes,
b. who can do it, it is an old shock, and
c. most importantly, was the plunger shaft damaged (chrome worn out). This is problematic as the seal will not work.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
I'd say yes rossko , I had one on my bike ages ago , there is a mob in Melbourne that are an importer for Koni , Toperformance , they could service it no probs for you

JR

Melbourne Australia

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
The Koni shock in the pic is an earlier one, was designed to be rebuildable and can be easily rebuilt by any bike suspension people.  Personally I've used Chivos in Sydney and SOS suspension and Teknic  in Penrith, but there are many others.  My last one of those SOS told me he couldnt do any more with it as it had gone through the anodising on the body(it had done a lot of work though), apparently the sidecar use puts a fair bit of sideways pressure on the shock.

The later Koni K100/K75 shock was not designed to be rebuilt, but maybe someone has figured it out.  From memory the later ones are all Black.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Koni rear shocks are rebuildable aren't they? K-dogs10

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The koni shocks that are not rebuildable are the ones with the red damper adjustment knob at the bottom of the shock ALL the others are rebuildable.
The ones with the red knob were actually made by IKON in Australia for KONI under licence to KONI.
They are good shocks and have a long life but they are a throw away job when they die.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
JR_K100RS wrote:I'd say yes rossko , I had one on my bike ages ago , there is a mob in Melbourne that are an importer for Koni , Toperformance , they could service it no probs for you

JR

Melbourne Australia
yep that was the place...it was reasonably cheap until you include postage Smile

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Those throw away shocky's are what Rad shocky repairs fix in Yerrongpilly Brizvagas
http://www.radmotorcycleshockyrepairs.com.au/

If ya want one check with them before ya purchase

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:The koni shocks that are not rebuildable are the ones with the red damper adjustment knob at the bottom of the shock ALL the others are rebuildable.
The ones with the red knob were actually made by IKON in Australia for KONI under licence to KONI.
They are good shocks and have a long life but they are a throw away job when they die.
How much preload adjustment do they have Rick?  I have found one that's done very little work, has been parked in a shed in Lakembanon for the past 12 years or so and hardly used before that.

Al

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I was led to believe that they aren't rebuildable but this guy said BS they all can be rebuilt.
http://www.radmotorcycleshockyrepairs.com.au/
He has a good reputation and the guys on my Z1300 forum swear by him as he fixes them better than new, that aint sayin much though it's much like taking the spring out of a pogo stick Laughing .

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
I doubt it really needs to be rebuilt Rick, It's done almost nothing.  I've been nagging a mate about it for years, he lost it in his shed.

Was fitted to an R80G/S resto project (that didnt do a lot of kms), it was always soft and squidgy.
Turns out that Koni never made a shock for the R80G/S (but its the same length eye to eye as a K100 shock) and the spring was way to soft for the G/S cause of the different suspension geometry. It being a non G/S shock  became apparent when someone checked a catalogue at a shop.

The shock got replaced by a new OEM R80G/S shock, and the Koni got "stored". The R80G/S then proceeded to rot in his yard for about 10 years after he couldn't sort it (It has found a home finally though)

Well he's finally found it and I'll probably end up with it (he was the best man at my wedding after all).

Al

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have one on my K1100, it is good but comparing it to the RAM that I have on Margs now it's chalk and cheese.
They are not anywhere as good as an original Koni.

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
If when I pick this one up, I'll have 3!

An old orig Koni on the sidecar, hasnt had any damping for years. Might be OK to rebuild, might be stuffed.
The RT has a Old Koni on it also, the damping adjustment appears to work but I haven't got it right yet.  Externally looks better than the sidecar shock but has rubber bumper on the shaft missing.
The little used 'non-rebuildable' Koni.  I can at least run it and see how it goes while getting the RT shock rebuilt.

Al

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
All of our Koni's can be rebuilt, ours for the K100 is designated as Type 3014 that's 275mm unladen length. recommended solo length of 253 and two up of 248. Installed piston rod adjuster end down.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum