BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty K100 finished. Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:40 pm

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Firstly, I dare not call this a renovation as the majority of the work I've seen on here on here exceeds, by a significant magnitude, what was essentially a clean up and road prep.

It seems an awful long time since I made the trip up to Patna in Scotland to pick up this BMW K100. It met the relevant criteria of being original, low mileage and cheap 

K100 finished. 004-2

K100 finished. 005-2

Despite having ridden and owned a variety of motorcycles, I knew very little about BMW's other than their reliability and ability to absorb huge mileages. I was seeking an RS100 but unfortunately they fell well outside my budget. My original plan was to build a café racer but following advice that the naked k100 isn't all that common, I decided to keep it in its original form.

The bike was tired but running and had only recently been taken of the road, there was a comprehensive history file and the previous owner had had it in excess of 10 years. A thorough investigation of the bike revealed that the rear shock and forks were leaking and the silencer was cracked at the junction with the downpipes.

I was also surprised to find that the injector bodies had corroded so badly that one snapped on removal. The TB's looked tatty and a chance find of some almost brand new K1100 one's had me going down that route.

Aside from the TB conversion and uprated injectors, I've renewed all the filters, oils, spline lube, cleaned connectors, new fork seals and dust covers (horrendously priced genuine BMW items  Shocked ), a very nice rear shock (not sure which model its off) and a chance find Motad silencer that interestingly has the Motad name and regulation numbers stamped upside down. I also changed the LCD clock from a damaged donor instrument binnacle because the original had bled.

I replaced the tatty radiator screen with a piece of perforated aluminium and I'll be doing the same with the screen on the soon to be fitted belly-pan. I also managed to get hold of a genuine fly-screen that will be fitted as soon as the mounting plates arrive. Till then this is how it looks now.

K100 finished. DSCN4131

K100 finished. DSCN4132

K100 finished. DSCN4133

Along the way I've managed to acquire a surprising amount of spares (only because they were cheap or free), in fact I could probably build another bike and to that end the previously mentioned café racer looks like its on the cards. I've just seen Heikkil's post and note that he is using some of the parts from BSK I have earmarked as forthcoming birthday/Christmas presents. I appreciate that café racers are probably becoming a little clichéd but they are my era and the fact that K spares are currently plentiful, there is a huge amount of knowledge out there to improve on the original concept and I have most of the parts would make it an obvious choice

Thanks to all on here who helped and advised with the bits I found tricky.

2Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Well done  K100 finished. 112350  .

3Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:36 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Very well executed. Lovely and clean look.

What did you do to get the finish on the fuel rail (or it might be lighting in the photo)?  It looks copper coloured.

There is a long diatribe on the Exif website about Authenticity in modern builds.  touching upon hipsters hacking motorcycles into soulless cafe bikes. Interesting read, a lot of with which I agree.

4Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Inge K and Robmack.

Robmack you are right about the fuel rail, it is metallic copper. I buy it in aerosol form from a UK DiY store (B+Q). To be honest its not very practical, it never seems to harden properly and if you spray it on too thick you end up leaving fingerprints in it. I just wanted something that contrasted with the alloy and black 

I used it on all the metal coolant pipes on my GPZ1000RX and it looked nice amongst the sea of black that makes up the engine.

I hear what you are saying about soulless café bikes...... (café racer). I grew up with them in the late sixties and early seventies. At that time any biker worth his salt had clip ons...........unless you had been seduced by Easy rider in which case ape hangers and extended forks were the order of the day. I've owned my fair share of café racers and don't really consider them a fad. On the point of hacking a perfectly good standard bike into something else, well everyone has their own opinion. I've seen some examples that have blown me away, even those based on grey porridge models. Most of those are beyond my technical and financial ability unfortunately.

Everyone wants to make their bike their own in some unique way be it accessories, colour etc. Its the degree of 'hacking' versus rarity or originality that people take exception to. I like old original bikes, hence my reluctance to significantly modify my K100 but am not a slave to ;as it came out of the showroom. However I like to think that the collection of parts I have amassed didn't start life as a single entity but can be formed into at nil cost to the model.

I have not read the article yet but I will do.

5Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:46 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
You probably want to cover the fuel rail with a two-part clear coat to protect it from flaking.  I suggest that you take the part into a local paint shop and ask them to include it in one of their normal job flows.  I did that with a body panel I painted and it cost me a mere tuppence to have it done since they sprayed clear all day long.

6Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:19 pm

Mort

Mort
That looks nice and as you say you don't see too many in the naked form.
I should have mine MOT'ed tomorrow and ready for the first run at the weekend.

7Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:15 pm

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
robmack wrote:You probably want to cover the fuel rail with a two-part clear coat to protect it from flaking.  I suggest that you take the part into a local paint shop and ask them to include it in one of their normal job flows.  I did that with a body panel I painted and it cost me a mere tuppence to have it done since they sprayed clear all day long.

That would probably make sense but its on now and looks okay. It was just laziness that stopped me from clear coating it at the time. I did explore copper coating once upon a time as Chrome platers use it as a base layer before applying the chrome plate.

Thanks Mort, where are you going for MOT? I always go to Kevin at Armstrong's on Westgate Hill.

8Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:13 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Needs more cowbell.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

9Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:16 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
robmack wrote:There is a long diatribe on the Exif website about Authenticity in modern builds.  touching upon hipsters hacking motorcycles into soulless cafe bikes. Interesting read, a lot of with which I agree.

Great article robmack.

10Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:45 am

k-wopper

k-wopper
Silver member
Silver member
I say "to each his own" in an old bike. Restoring is expensive and often impractical unless you wish to have show bike. Most people I have met who "cafe" their bikes were a result of a lay-down and then finding out how expensive the plastic bits can be.
I ride my RS more like an LT with add-on windscreen, expandable panniers and a GIVI tail box. It's practical that way but it all comes off in 5 minutes and it's back to a street
machine.
Make it what you want or what you need as long as you ride it. That's where the real fun is
Cheers,
Rob

11Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:09 am

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
duck wrote:Needs more cowbell.

Ha ha!! duly noted Duck.

The article that Robmack linked to was certainly interesting, well written and provocative. Unfortunately the writer displays the brand of snobbery that, for me, really undermines the spirit of motorcycling and only serves to denigrate the inherent population into a rank order of acceptability according to the writers own view. It's also interesting to note that the majority of follow-up comments decry the points he makes.

Rob (K-wopper) has it absolutely right and I'm still building my café racer regardless of Mr Cormier's opinion. It might end up a bag of crap, but it will be my bag of crap  Cool

12Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:48 am

Mort

Mort
Fentible wrote:
Thanks Mort, where are you going for MOT? I always go to Kevin at Armstrong's on Westgate Hill.
I used to go there when I worked in that area but just go local (Consett) these days, fingers crossed Wink

13Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:19 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
you've done a great job bringing an original back to the road, now to knock yourself out with all those spares. well done.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
K100 finished. 10_x_110

14Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:43 am

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
. It might end up a bag of crap, but it will be my bag of crap  Cool
Exactly man. Your the only one that has to be happy with the end result. I too got poo hoo'ed a bit when I did mine but I am happier with my model than any other I have seen

15Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:11 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I agree with Mr. Fontible's comment regarding the snobbish tone of the article.  I will readily admit to being old school and appreciating the simplicity of a machine that is stripped to the bare essentials.

There is an elegance in a cafe bike that you will never find in the over engineered mechanicals hermetically sealed in over stylized plastic bodywork.  That each interpretation of the cafe concept embodies the vision of the owner and his access to the tools to make it real, to me, is what makes cafe bikes so special and unique.  That is not to ignore how the things a bike is supposed to do(acceleration, braking, and handling) can be improved beyond the donor bike's by a well executed modification.

While I may want to maintain my personal ride in showroom stock condition, I would never disparage the creator of a cafe bike, as they truly lay bare the soul of their ride.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

16Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:15 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Be made wrote:
. It might end up a bag of crap, but it will be my bag of crap  Cool
Exactly man. Your the only one that has to be happy with the end result. I too got poo hoo'ed a bit when I did mine but I am happier with my model than any other I have seen

This. It's your bike and you can do whatever the heck you want with it.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

17Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:48 pm

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Just a further update: After a wallowy few hundred miles I've just fitted progressive springs, a fork brace and a new damper to the original BMW shock. The bike definitely stands taller but what a difference in the handling. It'll never be a road race scratcher but I can no get it round some of the bumpier bends without hanging on for dear life and simultaneously screaming for my mummy.

As I never really rode the bike at time of purchase, I can't really tell what improvements the K1100 TB's and uprated injectors are making. The engine is smooth, starts on the button and once warm idles nicely at 950 rpm. There is a strong surge from 3K revs and its smooth all the way up to an indicated 115mph and that's as far as I've taken it. MPG seems rooted at between 40-45 imperial gallons (4.5 litres) on a mixture of town, tootling and motorway

You may also notice the belly pan, an early acquisition along with a set of unused panniers and which really sets the lines off (IMHO). I'm going to add some heated grips that I've had lying around the garage off another project, sorted my GPS mount (sucker on the inside of the flyscreen) and its off on a 6 day Scotland tour at the end of September.

K100 finished. DSCN4337

K100 finished. DSCN4338

K100 finished. DSCN4340

K100 finished. DSCN4341

K100 finished. DSCN4342

K100 finished. DSCN4343

18Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Not sure why the photos are cropped on the forum, at the point I copied the IMG file from photobucket, they were 'full' photos.

19Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:14 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Lovely bike!

20Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:02 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looks great fent ...congrats !

ride well and enjoy

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

21Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:46 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Enjoy it as it is. Looks nice, clean, most important is the bike should be right for you. Its looks a good K and most of us will admire it for that.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

22Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:37 pm

mtndv8

mtndv8
Wow, that's really nice!

What fork brace is that?

23Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
Fentible

There is a strong surge from 3K revs and its smooth all the way up to an indicated 115mph and that's as far as I've taken it.

Youve done a great job. If you get the chance take to the 130ish + mph they are capable of.

24Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:15 am

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks all, I'm really enjoying riding this bike.

Mtndv8; Its a Paoli brace bought from Motorworks

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=40&Ct=MA&SbCt=BA_15_40_MA_50

25Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:09 am

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
floyd wrote:
This; . . . I read the entire article and  . . .a few words in there make sense. Like . . who gives a damn anyway.

I dont.

Mines an authentic barstadized K100 and prossibly the only one looking like mine does in the whole wide world.

Thats authentic enough for me, given the word actually means "of origin, or "original"

To the purists amongst us: I say . . good luck, and well done for holding to someone else's idea of whats "right" and "propper" or  . .  pure

Gimme my own ideas about styling any day.

I am the only one who has to live with with them, no one else has to take any notice . . . . Laughing Laughing Laughing

26Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:08 pm

mtndv8

mtndv8
Fentible wrote:Thanks all, I'm really enjoying riding this bike.

Mtndv8; Its a Paoli brace bought from Motorworks

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=40&Ct=MA&SbCt=BA_15_40_MA_50

Thank you much!!

27Back to top Go down   K100 finished. Empty Re: K100 finished. Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:28 am

Mossy1200

Mossy1200
Platinum member
Platinum member
Nice job. 100 thousand miles away from starting again.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum