Musclebiker
How to modify your stock exhaust - the cut and weld way! K100_e10
How to modify your stock exhaust - the cut and weld way! Exhaus13
How to modify your stock exhaust - the cut and weld way! Exhaus14
How to modify your stock exhaust - the cut and weld way! Img-1410
How to modify your stock exhaust - the cut and weld way! Img_2010
How to modify your stock exhaust - the cut and weld way! Img_2011

Last edited by Musclebiker on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   How to modify your stock exhaust - the cut and weld way! Empty I really like this... Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:57 pm

mtndv8

mtndv8
That looks pretty cool! Thanks, you've given me a (similar) idea for mine...

A few questions, if I may...
*What did you use to cut the OEM muffler and guard/shroud with and why did you chose to cut it where you did?
*What did you weld up?
*That silencer tip looks aluminum, where did you source that and is it functional or is the old muffler re-packed and re-sealed, using the Alu tip for a more finished look?

I'm guessing you powder-coated the muffler once fabrication was completed? It looks great! Noob like me would almost think it was OEM...

Thanks,
Michael

Musclebiker

Musclebiker
mtndv8 wrote:That looks pretty cool! Thanks, you've given me a (similar) idea for mine...

A few questions, if I may...
*What did you use to cut the OEM muffler and guard/shroud with and why did you chose to cut it where you did?
*What did you weld up?
*That silencer tip looks aluminum, where did you source that and is it functional or is the old muffler re-packed and re-sealed, using the Alu tip for a more finished look?

I'm guessing you powder-coated the muffler once fabrication was completed? It looks great! Noob like me would almost think it was OEM...

Thanks,
Michael

Hi mate, to cut I used a regular angle grinder. I cut it there because this is where a separate piece of baffling remains in the exaust, like an internal tip. Sadly I don't have a picture but when you cut it off you see a complete silencing unit, in the middle it's sealed - spreading the exhaust gases to the sidewalls.

The piece I welded up was from the remaining part of the original exhaust - you can straighten it with a hammer. This makes the weld better - same stainless alloy on both sides of the weld. The muffler is NOT repacked, there is no packing inside that I can see.

The silencer tip is a one-off production by my local mill guy, he also did the spacers on the front wheel and the tail arrows. Cost me about 30£, I'm in Bulgaria labour is cheaper here. The tip is just to finish the design off. I am planning a "holeshot" muffler inside the tip to reduce the noise - it's rather loud currently.

Yes, a stock muffler has been cut, welded, sandblasted and powdercoated. Then I added the aluminium tip!

mtndv8

mtndv8
Thanks for the reply!
Might have to pick up a used muffler and give this a try...

Thanks!

KOneNTx

KOneNTx
Musclebiker, I am unable to view the images from this thread. If its not an issue on my end with my computer, would you be willing to share them with me directly or try and post them again. I have been looking into modifying my exhaust and I would love to see the images of how you did it.

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
KOneNTx wrote:Musclebiker, I am unable to view the images from this thread. If its not an issue on my end with my computer, would you be willing to share them with me directly or try and post them again. I have been looking into modifying my exhaust and I would love to see the images of how you did it.

Same here. Images broken. 
Please repost or check where you've got them hosted as I'd like to see this, as well.

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I'm also pretty keen to see those pics.
Cheers

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 How to modify your stock exhaust - the cut and weld way! Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
He hasn't been here since the end of October so chances you wont be seeing him.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

werewasi

werewasi
Platinum member
Platinum member
Ohhh no,
not another one shot with an umbrella gun loaded with a ricin pellet.

K100RS  1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay)  Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

10Back to top Go down   How to modify your stock exhaust - the cut and weld way! Empty The pictures Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:00 am

Musclebiker

Musclebiker
Still here guys, just lurking in the shadows. Here are some pics. Btw, my next project is a KTM speedo on the K, currently waiting for the magnet sensor to arrive. The speedo itself is tested and working, with built-in wheel size function, I intend to make it "spot-on" compared to my GPS.

How to modify your stock exhaust - the cut and weld way! Exhaus11

How to modify your stock exhaust - the cut and weld way! Exhaus12
How to modify your stock exhaust - the cut and weld way! Dscf2710

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum