BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I can't believe I'm asking this...what coolant do you use?

BMW has mentioned using silicate/nitrate-free coolant. Some people mention the green stuff. Some people mention the red stuff. Now there's OAT.

I'm not worried about antifreeze (but it does get down to a freezing 9 degrees celsius here in winter...brrr that's cold! Do you have any idea how cold that is? coolant...OAT, green, red, silicate free? Icon_biggrin )

Do you use the red, the green or some other colour?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Niel,

Called Nulon people and asked re: red or green. Green they said after they asked me the year K100 was made.

Red will dissolve your radiator, they said. I don't think so, but the mantra given to the Tech is ask for the year and then give them a colour.

We want a coolant, so I use a 30% pre-diluted and change it every year or so. the book said 40/60 or 50/50, but they are after antifreeze.

Considering the year of manufacture, the only common technology around was the green stuff.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Ned. Too many colours. Green in my old Falcon EL and green in the RS.

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
9 degrees eh? I don't think I will push the point as I think there are some on this forum who experience a tad colder but at least we can still ride in winter. Very Happy
Mind you Mt Tambourine might be a different story from a Qld point of view.
As for antifreeze green seems to do the trick as it hasn't frozen or boiled yet.

Regards

Phil

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yea, the 9 degrees remark was to get a rise out of our less fortunate (weather wise) forum buddies! coolant...OAT, green, red, silicate free? Icon_biggrin

The coldest I've been was a mid-winter ride from Brisbane to Warwick on a trusty Triumph 750 Tiger. I had newspaper shoved down the front of my jacket. When I got to my mates place at midnight, I had to hold onto the fence cause my legs were stiff from the cold night air and I would have fallen over otherwise. Jeans don't keep the cold out very well!

ALEX PITON

ALEX PITON
Silver member
Silver member
hehe live in warwick here got -12 last winter and grew up in stanthorpe, that place is cold. lol. i am running toyota's red stuff in me rs and have the green in my el..., lol nice choice in vechiles i see lol

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
here is a good article on the cooling systems and coolants. Please ignore some a few extreme claims and remember that this was written for the colder parts of the planet, but the info is essentially good.

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/cooling.htm

As for the colour. I will stick to green although I am sure that red is fine. Also, 30/70 is ok for Sydney where traffic and cooling is the problem.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
My personal feeling is anti-freeze is replaced only every two years so the cost difference of using the genuine BMW stuff is bearable for the small quantity required so I view using the genuine as risk avoidance. Where there is no manufacturer approved product stick in whatever you fancy.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum