BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   rear koni shock Empty rear koni shock Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:29 pm

nodrtbike

nodrtbike
The k100rt I just bought had a works racer shock on it, it was a shorter shock that the stock one. I took it off and put the Koni that came with the extra parts, and raised the fork tubes back up to the original position.

My question about the koni , and because I have no literature with this shock is... the shock has a red adjuster on the bottom of it and it has numbers that go from 1-5 I believe, seems kind of stiff at the setting it's on.

Q: do I increase the number to soften the ride or decrese the number to soften the ride? thanks you.

2Back to top Go down   rear koni shock Empty Re: rear koni shock Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:13 pm

There's likely a spring preload stepped adjuster or collar that when turned would take care of the issue of the shock feeling too 'stiff' depending on the weight of your gear, yourself and whatever you're carrying. The other adjuster you describe is probably the rebound adjustment which controls the shock absorber's return to the original position after being compressed by an impact. On twin shock Koni (and Australian-made Ikon) and other brands the lower number is usually the 'softer' or slower setting. Try both at mid settings then experiment until you sort it out and find what you like best.

3Back to top Go down   rear koni shock Empty thanks TWB Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:04 pm

nodrtbike

nodrtbike
I took a short ride today and after I got home I turned the adjuster to a smaller number, will try it again soon, after it quits raining, thanks.

4Back to top Go down   rear koni shock Empty Re: rear koni shock Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:05 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Nod,

first you need to set the bike on the centre stand with the rear wheel clear of the ground. Then wind off [anti-clockwise - lowest # ] the dampening adjuster.

Then wind off the pre-load on the spring until it just makes contact with the spring - then give a quarter turn on the pre-load platform. You are now ready to set the base adjustment.

You now need to set the sag - this will require another pair of hands / eyes.

Sit yourself on the bike with normal riding gear and any normal payload [ solo ] with the bike off the stand. The shock will now "sag" to a lower setting. Now adjust the pre-load collar so that the difference ["sag"] from fully open to compressed is approximately 25 mm. This is your basic pre-load setting.

Now, adjust the dampening knob - probably 2nd setting to begin with. You want the least amount of dampening acceptable to a good ride.

From that point you can adjust both the pre-load and dampening for additional loads [ passenger / luggage ].

Unfortunately there are many variables - your weight, style of riding, condition of roads, condition of shock / spring - and your own preferrences.

However, the above will give you a safe base to start from. rear koni shock Icon_lol

5Back to top Go down   rear koni shock Empty thanks beachcomber Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:44 pm

nodrtbike

nodrtbike
Thanks for the info, will try it out, thanks.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum