BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Greasing your splines..... Empty Greasing your splines..... Wed May 14, 2008 6:20 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I found this on the BMW-Quebec (Canada) newsgroup. If I recall correctly, the poster is working in the oil industry and knows very well what he is talking about.

Anti-seize / Anti-galling Issues,
(I know, we speak English and this will sound Chinese for a lot of you. It is still very interesting to read)

Galling can occur when metal parts, such as the threads of nuts and bolts, are forced together and rubbing generates friction among the asperities (high spots) on the surface. The friction causes heat, which is mainly isolated to these asperities. The asperities weld together but further displacement causes these tiny welds to break, which makes the surface even rougher, creating more opportunity for friction. Seizing and/or galling is a type of metal-to-metal contact wear that rips and tears out portions of metal surfaces. It is often caused by metal parts seizing together because of lack of lubrication. It usually occurs when the metals moving together are of the same hardness. Frictional heat promotes this type of wear.

The tendency for metal to gall when in sliding contact with itself or with other alloy materials can be reduced with the use of dry film lubricants. This is particularly desirable for bearing surfaces and for threads of bolts. Dry film lubricant coatings reduce the galling tendency and are effective in preventing seizure of bolt threads.

Molybdenum Disulfide/Disulphide [Moly, MoS2]

The use of molybdenum disulfide dates back hundreds of years. Present technology dates back to the 1920’s. D.O.D., N.A.S.A. and the Society of Tribological and Lubrication Engineers (formerly A.S.L.E.) collected much of the work.

Molybdenum disulfide (a.k.a. moly disulphide, moly or MoS2) is another of the lamella structure materials. Moly differs from graphite in a number of ways. Like graphite it has weak van der Waals forces between the basal planes. The bonds between the sulfur layers are weaker than the bonds between the molybdenum layers. The covalent bonds of both are strong in the basal plane. Moisture vapor is unnecessary for lubrication as slip occurs on the sulfur atoms. Tests in vacuum shows that friction decreases as vacuum increases. Friction decreases as load and surface speed increase. These results suggest that removing water vapor contamination decreases friction in molybdenum disulfide. In its operating range MoS2 has superior load bearing and surface speed performance values to graphite or tungsten disulfide.

Moly disulfide is a naturally mined material. Quality grading varies with source. Most of the lubricant grade material used in the United States is mined at the Henderson & Climax mines in Colorado, is of very high quality, and is readily available. Particle size affects load carrying test results. Larger particles carry more load. Friction is not a particle size variable. MoS2 oxidizes very slowly in atmospheres up to 600° F. In these low temperature ranges it oxidizes more slowly than tungsten disulfide (WS2). In dry oxygen free atmospheres it functions as a lubricant up to 1300° F. The oxidation products of MoS2 is molybdenum trioxide (MoO2) and sulfur dioxide. MoS2 is hydroscopic and causes many of the friction problems in standard atmosphere. MoO2 is itself a lubricant in dry atmospheres. MoO2 is of itself not abrasive, but attracts moisture vapor contamination.

Moly is considered a semiconductor due to oxidation. It’s photoelectric and bi-metalic behavior is erratic. As temperature approaches red heat it becomes a good conductor. Moly measures 1.0 on the moh’s scale. This is about the mean of graphite and about twice the hardness of tungsten disulfide (WS2).

The issues of where molybdenum disulfide should be used versus graphite or tungsten disulfide is generally best addressed by your lubrication engineer. For most commercial applications these are relatively simple judgments. In aerospace applications where unique environments, and often exotic materials are employed, these questions often take some substantial research to provide the best answers.

Again, pretreatment of the substrate has a profound affect on performance of the lubricant. For example, steel that is grit blasted before a fine grain zinc phosphate out performs either single pretreatment. Typically, the higher quality of the pretreatment results in better lubricant performance. Cost vs. value is your choice.

Moly 50 from Honda is a product containing the most amount of Moly on the market. The price is very affordable.

2Back to top Go down   Greasing your splines..... Empty Re: Greasing your splines..... Sat May 17, 2008 6:07 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good writeup I think the guy means MoO3 rather than MoO2 since if it was O2 it would be dioxide not trioxide but nit picking aside it is interesting and useful stuff to have. I first came across it when I worked for Castrol in their oil labs and would recommend it wholeheartedly in the right place. I well recall putting it in a suspension into my pals Mini where it made gearchanges much more crunchy because the synchromesh cones did not have enough friction to speed up to assist the changes. Changing the oil fixed that but in non synchromesh applications like splines it is great.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum