BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   adding a fuel guage. Empty adding a fuel guage. Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:54 am

croman

croman
this is my first post, so obviously i have a problem and any assistance would be nice.
i am attempting to fit a fuel guage to my 1987 LT and have a fuel guage( from motorworks-good lads).
it has an orange 4 pin connector and looking at the bmw wiring diagram there is a male connector that it fits into.
my query is where might this relevant connector be located on the bike.
i had the old girl to bits changing all the hoses yesterday and nothing shouted plug me in here!
of course the other issue is where to mount it as the factory fit speakers are where i have seen fuel guages in the past.
all ideas gratefully received.

2Back to top Go down   adding a fuel guage. Empty Re: adding a fuel guage. Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Hello Croman and welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with the newest models of K100 as the early K100 has only 2 warning lights. In order to install a fuel gauge, you may have to replace the sender in the tank.
I will try to find the BMW reference for it.

Bert

3Back to top Go down   adding a fuel guage. Empty Re: adding a fuel guage. Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:09 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Croman,
Welcome to the forum. If you cannot mount it to the inserts above the knee boards, I have seen them installed into the knee boards themselves. There is a Y harness which connects to the take off point under the fuel tank and connects the gauge to the fuel sender. I think you should find the part on the Real OEM site or one of the BMW parts sites after you feed in the details of your bike to get the appropriate details up the part number of the Y may be 61-12-1-459-488 but check to be sure. Note the fuel gauge is specific to K bikes as it works back to front to most other gauges so if you fit one of the others it will read full when it is empty and vice versa. Check the download section on the site for the under tank connectors.
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   adding a fuel guage. Empty Re: adding a fuel guage. Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:01 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
If your bike was not originally fitted with one, does the tank have a float or a thermal sensor (as per Bert's)? You have the right gauge but indeed need the bit of loom (which also has a green connector for the coolingwater temp meter) and a tank with a float sensor.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland adding a fuel guage. Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

5Back to top Go down   adding a fuel guage. Empty Re: adding a fuel guage. Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:03 pm

croman

croman
hello men,
thanks for the advice and have asked the boys at motorworks for the appropriate bit of loom. hopefully all will be well and i will go with the knee pad location.
regards
croman

6Back to top Go down   adding a fuel guage. Empty Re: adding a fuel guage. Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:36 am

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
HI
I have an 87 K100RS and after adding an RT Fairing and bars I got some gauges from Ebay
which I find very useful and accuirate
The fuel gauge was the easiest ( least work) to fit
The 4 way connector was already in the rats nest under the tank
tucked down under the looms on the RH side half way up the spine
Hopefully you'll find yours there

IIRC the connector had
a live supply at igntion on
earth (brown)
fuel level sender (yellow?)
and lights

I'm a bit hazy on the colours as its been a while but I usually take pics and notes
when I;m tinkeng which I may be abke to dig out if youre struggling

I cut off the BMW roundish/flattish connector and made my own from parts I had to hand
but the shop bought loom may be easier for you
I taoped this connector for supply and lights to the temp gauge as well
As to where to fit it, well I know you can get pods for the gauges so thats one option

7Back to top Go down   adding a fuel guage. Empty Re: adding a fuel guage. Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:09 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Early bikes have a 3-way connector.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland adding a fuel guage. Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: