BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

duck

Life time member
Life time member
Although a banjo bolt would work in the caliper, I did more poking around and finally ordered these parts so that I can have a line that goes straight into the caliper with a banjo bolt at the master.

The SS line has female threaded ends and comes with three banjo fittings. I'll probably use the 90 degree fitting at the master end:

brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 DRsQwF6

At the caliper end I'll use one of these adapters so that the line goes straight into the caliper similar to the OEM setup:

brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 VzFaySo

http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Bricklayer

Bricklayer
Silver member
Silver member
Which end of the  goes into the caliper please- AN3 or M10?

https://anthonymrugacz.net/

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Bricklayer wrote:Which end of the  goes into the caliper please- AN3 or M10?

The threads in the caliper are M10x1.0.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

Bricklayer

Bricklayer
Silver member
Silver member
NOTE: POST UPDATED - SEE PICS BELOW  (date 20220929)

On my 85 K100RS I am going with this automotive hose- banjo w/ 90 degree and female M10 x 1.0 to connect to the brake pipe. Same length as the stock BMW hose.

EBay $13.82 (free shipping)   -   also at Summit Racing for $11.89 but 2 week wait. Next step- hose for the reservoir to master cyl. hose decision...

UPDATE

Seems this hose has an outward flare (as does the brake pipe on my 1985 K100RS).

Options: 1) drill an inward flare   2) Have a new pipe made to match   3) get a flaring tool and attempt to change the flare on the pipe

OPTION 2 WORKED

I just made a new rear caliper pipe. There's no brake shop in my city so I apologize for my moronic efforts online.

brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 Flare-10

brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 Brake-10

brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 S-l50010

Last edited by Bricklayer on Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Bricklayer wrote:On my 85 K100RS I am going with this automotive hose- banjo w/ 90 degree and female M10 x 1.0 to connect to the brake pipe. Same length as the stock BMW hose.

Sunsong # 2204760

Good find. That should work with the metal pipe.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

Bricklayer

Bricklayer
Silver member
Silver member
Installing my Chicom People's Rear Master brake Cylinder  and had a switch fail. Cleaned many times and just needed retirement, my rear brake switch on the 85 K100RS  has been ripped apart to see it's guts. Probably could re-sleeve or epoxy it back together but a quick search for an M8 x 1.0 brake light switch and voila! US$14 new w/ shipping on Ebay. A quick solder and water proofing should be all needed. Sure I am jumping the gun here as I just ordered it but my confidence is running high. 

New MAGURA Brake Light Switch Normally Closed NC Circuit 285.55 Gray tip M8x1.0

brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 S-l50011

PART ARRIVED - FIT PEFECTLY
brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 2022-012

Last edited by Bricklayer on Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

redrockmania

redrockmania
Silver member
Silver member
Further to posts 54 and 55: In addition to the alternative K100 rear brake line Sunsong Part #: 2204760, other alternatives are Nissan Part #: 46210AL510 or alternatively 46210AL51A, or Dorman #: H620527. It appears they are all replacement for the rear brake line of a Nissan Z350 - hope this helps those interested in this option.

Bricklayer

Bricklayer
Silver member
Silver member
While awaiting for my new rear brake hose to fit the Chicom master cylinder, I gave a shot at repairing the original BMW rubber boot seal which had a tear in it. After a  cleaning and roughing up with sandpaper I superglue a rubber band made from a bicycle inner tube around it. A brake fluid bottle cap was used to hold it together while it dried. Once dried I dabbed a small amount of silicon sealant on the inside. Primitive but seems sturdy enough.

brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 2022-010

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Nice work!

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Just did another conversion for a K Kronie. We had a bit of trouble getting the alternate boot to clamp in place. With a bit of grinding of the body the clamp was made to hold. Afterwards I decided to come up with a better method of fitting the boot. I couldn't get it in properly in my 3 jaw chuck but the 4 jaw worked a treat on the only spare left in stock. The supplier of my boots Glen from Stainless Steel Sleeves has retired he also re-sleeved master cylinders and had a great reputation. He will be sorely missed and was a great guy to deal with. 

I have ordered 2 more Chicom master cylinders and have only one spare boot. I tried a few places yesterday for boots without success. So I resorted to the guy that does my brake hoses Sean from Aussie Automotive Services he went through his stock and couldn't come up with anything. However he has decided to help and has taken piccies of the boot and is trying to track down a source of boots. It's great to see good old fashioned service in action. At the moment I'm also using Jubilee clips until I can find a source of nut and bolt clips.
Regards Martin.
 brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 Master13
brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 Master11
brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 Master12

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Received two new cylinders from Aliexpress, I placed the order on the 15th April received on the 27th April. They are slightly different from the previous ones that I bought. The packaging was a lot more professional the previous ones were just wrapped in bubble wrap. The newest ones were in bubble wrap bags inside sealed bags. The mounting lugs are slightly thicker and the body is marked  NISSIN. They previous ones have all stood up to the test of time so no complaints. I don't know whether these ones are any improvement. The supply hose looks the same which previously was found to be vacuum hose. Time will tell. I've also managed to source 4 more boots locally.
Regards Martin.
brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 Nissin10
brake squeal - Replacing rear master cylinder with a Chinese one - Page 2 Nissin11

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
affraid affraid Looks like the master was cast from a Japanese master cylinder. I'm sure Nissin Kyogo are happy about that, but being China they will be totally screwed being able to do anything about it.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Bricklayer

Bricklayer
Silver member
Silver member
Developing countries have an advantage in using advancements in technologies. From what I have read and seen, China will buy old manufacturing equipment and molds which are considered out of spec by Japan. Then use them to create products at a lower price without the major investment to create manufacturing equipment. So when the quality goes out the commie name goes on- soapbox mode off.

https://anthonymrugacz.net

View Past Stable of Ponies:
1978 Suzuki TS185
1976 BMW R90/6
1973 Yamaha LT3-MX
1970 BMW R75/5
1970 Suzuki T500

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
Will post pics when I have more time, but my chicom retrofit failed this last trip.  Near as I can tell, the boot died, which may have led to the internals dying.  The plunger rod is stuck further in so the brake pedal linkage won't engage it anymore.

I know lots of miles have been ridden on these retrofits, but this episode has me debating whether I want to do another, or spring for oem instead.   Rolling Eyes

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I never liked the look of the Chinese boot hence the machining to take the aftermarket one. I also pack silicone grease under the boot to reduce the chance of moisture ingress. One of my mates chased an OEM master cylinder in OZ the UK and I believe the US. He came up empty handed. 
Regards Martin.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum