BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Stubborn clutch arm bearings Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
I had the idea to replace the needle bearings in the clutch arm with a PTFE bush. I had a second hand arm available and yesterday attempted to remove the bearings. Despite getting it hot the bearings were solid in their housings and I ended up with the needles being driven out and the brittle outer flanges broken off.

So how do you remove a hardened steel bush against a shoulder in a blind hole?

Yesterday afternoon, after many attempts, I had got nowhere; but this morning I had a flash of inspiration. Using a diamond coated needle file I filed two grooves through the bearing outer races...... they are only about 20 thou thick and each groove took about 10 minutes. It was then an easy job to prise out the two halves.

Now I just have to figure out how to hold such an awkward shape to bore out the centre to fit a long PTFE bush.

Paul.

clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Ssl10710

2Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Paul,

Sounds like you got it sorted. There are special slide hammer tools (e.g. from the likes of Sykes Pickavant), which can be fitted with a variety of expanding collars, which have fine machined lips. You place it into the blind hole and when the collar is tightened up, the lips grip behind the bearing. You then use the slide hammer to pull said bearing from the hole.

There are various collar sizes, so one tool can be used for say head bearings and another for wheel bearings and so on.

Mike

3Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:14 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice work Paul! I'm getting ready to to add a grease fitting to my arm, but this is another very good way to address the problem. Cool

OG

4Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:26 pm

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Crazy Frog has an excellent way of removing these bushes, it may also be on the download section. Idea

5Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:35 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks UG I'll take a look in downloads...

6Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Coincidentally yesterday, as I was doing an oil & filter service, and once again noticed my gearbox oil had water in it, I've had to remove the clutch arm on my bike. I've known for some time that the culprit was a crack in the rubber boot and as you know the arm's gotta come out to properly remove the boot and spring, and to clean and grease the bearing.

I noticed the pivot shaft was a tight fit and took some effort to remove after the right hand side circlip and washer were removed. The tiny pivot bearings are gunna need replacing but I ride the bike to work daily (no four wheelers in my household) so I got some very fine sandpaper and took the rough spots off the shaft, greased the bearings, filled the new rubber bellows with grease as well and fiddled the entire apparatus back together with all three of my hands whilst lying on my back drinking a stubbie, propped up on one elbow.

I see a retrofitted grease fitting, new shaft and bearings in my immediate future.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

7Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Yep, mate that's exactly where I'm at right now with the old girl. Gawd, I miss being able to pop out to the dealer, chat with Jim, and have him overnight some little bit for me so I'm back at it quickly!

OG

8Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:07 pm

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
I replaced the bushes, but also used a small diamond coated round file to score a groove (very much like we did in bronze bearings back then) on the shaft, which although not deep will retain some grease , also fitted a grease nipple onto the clutch arm, clutch now feels brand new.

9Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I rode my bike into work this AM and although the bearings looked a bit flattened out - they had no lube in them at all - now at least there's some in there and the clutch pull definitely felt lighter and easier. Imagine what it'll be like when it's put back to original! Who needs a new motorbike!?

clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Clutch10

Just had a look-see on the great computer and BMW Australia don't have the bearings or the shaft in either warehouse, and at $21.36 for each of the two bearings and $38.40 for the "pin" it's not a casual fix for those light of wallet at $81.12 total. Let's see what the boys at 'Bins have to say about the price...

$24.35 plus postage translated from the £ at today's exchange rate. I can wait a week. Someone's smoking something somewhere at BMW Down Under.

"They want what for it?! Tell 'em they're dreaming"
~The Castle

10Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:24 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Bought my bearings from a local supplier at half the price of

Bins or Works, but used the same pin.

11Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:52 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
The 'Bins sell a stainless steel version of the pin for £8/AU$12, the bearings £4.25/AU$6.20 each and since I needed a few bits 'n' bobs anyway I've placed an order, got two new circlips and the adjusting screw/locknut for £5/AU$7 which I noticed was 'dished' where it has been sitting in its adjustment span since time immemorial.

Those Grimeca 'pattern' rear disc brakes at £87.00/AU$127 are a pretty good price too so one of those is on the way. My current aftermarket disc is warbly and verging on paper thin. Metal Gear wants $229/$175 dealer price and I'd have to send 'em my current disc/carrier to get it fitted, two days down time on the bike - no time for that. With the (lately) almighty Aussie dollar at $1.07 US and .68P it's a good time to buy overseas again.

Love the 'Bins!

12Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:46 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Nice work, this job's on my list in the next month or so.

BIG D

13Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:35 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi mike d,

In a perfect world we would all have been given a complete set of Sykes-Pickavant extractors at birth........ but sometimes the fun is in sorting a problem (cheaply?) with the available tools. For the price of a suitable extractor one could buy 4 or 5 new clutch arms!

clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Ssl10711

I drilled out the bearing hole today ready to press in the PTFE bush; I think I'll add a pair of 'O' rings in the bush to keep out all the grunge that collects in that area.

Paul.

14Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice Paul! Cool When can I send mine over for a PROPER refit!?

OG

15Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:48 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Call in any time you're passing OG......

Paul.

16Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Sounds good mate. Very Happy Please post a pic or two when you get the arm done. I'm thinking about doing this myself now as the BMW bits are not cheap.

OG

17Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:14 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi, What is PTFE

18Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:36 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Teflon

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

19Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:41 pm

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Polytetraflourethylene to be exact, or teflon as we know it more commonly. It has a low coefficient, therefore is really good on shafts and the like cos its slippery and doesn't corrode.

Good stuff.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings 170874

20Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:42 am

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Paul,

Nice, does the stuff come in a range of ods or do you turn it down to
fit, then bore the id. I have a little lathe and looks like this is in
my future.

21Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:32 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
yankeeone,

Yes PTFE comes in various od's. It machines beautifully. I've also used some 'bronze loaded PTFE' in some model engineering jobs. I think the little bushes in our clutch and brake handlebar levers are probably PTFE.

Working on the premise that 'If a job's worth doing......it's worth over-doing' I've revised the pivot pin mounting today. It will now be clamped between the lugs on the gearbox.

Paul.

clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Ssl10712

22Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:55 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looks great paul .....

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

23Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice Paul!! Where did you get all your little bits?

OG

24Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:12 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
A man and his lathe...amazing improvement on a sturdy design, and I thought I'd just be in for a replacement of the torn boot on my clutch release arm. Now I want to take it further like this, but hasn't the original design successfully survived a gazillion kilometres?! I reckon this is way better than a 'better mousetrap'!

25Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
But you didn't polish the lever Paul clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings 652573

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

26Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:27 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmmm who do we know with a lathe .....?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

27Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
exactly what I having been trying to figure out all day mate! Very Happy

28Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:55 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
charlie99 wrote:hmmm who do we know with a lathe .....?
OG I think he is talking about me

29Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:09 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Sidecarpaul,

I bet that machine cost more than a puller Very Happy Looks like a nice piece of kit. I bought a load of BMW special tools (mostly unused and still in their original packaging), the deal included all kinds of pullers from Kukko and Sykes, and measuing instruments - all for £300. The guy was a retired University Engineering professor, who did a lot of investigation work for BMW in the 1970's, and as he no longer needed them he was happy to let the tools go to a good home.

I also hold the BMW Club UK stock of tools that we hire out to club members.

Mike

30Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:21 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Very nice job Paul like the lathe, now if its not two cheeky could you tell us the diamentions of the bush I know a man with a lathe Laughing

BIG D

31Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:01 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi mike d, sounds like a super selection of tools. I've also aquired loads of engineering stuff from old engineers who had no more use for them. Been in the UK BM club for 34years.....

BIG D, the dimentions aren't very critical but I drilled the arm out to 14.5mm (that was the first drill I picked up that looked about right), the bush is 48mm long bored 8mm for a standard pivot pin or 10mm for my mod.

K Freak, Now do you really think I would leave it like that? It's going to be painted a pretty gloss black before fitting (to match the swing arm and bevel box that I'm working on) It's nice to have some spares to prepare for future use.

Guest in the house,

yes of course I've been running two K's for over 25 years with the original bearings...... but it's fun to play with these little details.

Paul

32Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:43 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Ahh The Castle just about my favourite film. This is one of the areas where I reckon the Dupont Krytox grease would be magic and the other would be the splines possibly with some WS2 mixed in as well.
Regards,
K-BIKE

33Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:19 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Paul,

You have been a member of the BMW Club for two years more than me. I'm surprised we haven't met up! I'm off to Midland Section meeting at Towcester in 15 minutes - In the car as the snow fall last night prevents two wheel use.

Mike

34Back to top Go down   clutch arm bearings - Stubborn clutch arm bearings Empty Re: Stubborn clutch arm bearings Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:09 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Mike,

I'm not very active with the BMW club, more involved with other clubs. Today (snow) would be when an outfit has the advantage, but if I parked my bike somewhere today I might not be able to find it when I returned!

BIG D, just a thought, if you want to try this idea, you could get your 'MAN WITH A LATHE' to turn two PTFE bushes 12mm od x 8mm id x 10mm long and just replace the needle roller bearings, using the stock pivot pin.

Paul.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum