BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   12 rivet output - That pesky output shaft Empty That pesky output shaft Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:06 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Well in my desire to follow CF's restoration thread, I too have removed my output shaft, and find that the rivets are somewhat loose. I re-pinned them with a hammer and punch and now they seem tight. However, though I work out, I don't believe I'll be actually testing the strength of my fix to the 90+ HP the engine will generate. I read somewhere that someone did have success with this fix, but is there more I can do to ensure it doesn't wiggle loose anytime soon? Could a machine shop put in another 6 rivets for a total of 12? Or does someone here have a spare used 12 rivet shaft available?

2Back to top Go down   12 rivet output - That pesky output shaft Empty Re: That pesky output shaft Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:51 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
I do remember seeing a thread from an Aircraft Engineer ( I think) regarding the re-rivetting process and knowing from my aircraft days there are quite a number of methods of riveting both blind and not that would most likely be strong enough.

Bert's comment was the holes in the output shaft would be elongated slightly thus making a repair difficult so at the very least I would be putting new rivets in but they may have to be slightly larger to "fill up" the worn holes.

As you have the shaft out it would not hurt to try but the as for the testing process for peace of mind it might be worth putting in a 12 rivet one.

Regards,

Phil

3Back to top Go down   12 rivet output - That pesky output shaft Empty Re: That pesky output shaft Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:18 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I agree with Phil that I would replace the output shaft. Installing additional rivets would be a solution only if you cannot get a replacement shaft.

If you find a newer output shaft, the bearing will have to be replaced. The later K100 have a slightly bigger one.

12 rivet output - That pesky output shaft Output10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum