BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Ignition Advance Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:58 pm

bettyswolloks

bettyswolloks
Hey all, I've just given a Mates bike a full summer service, which included a 4 degree ignition advancer. I've fitted these little things to quite a few bikes over the years and they do make a proper nice difference, cant say if its a bhp increase but defiantly a difference, crisps up the throttle response reet nice Very Happy

I read somewhere online that this can be done a K bike, only I cant find the article again. The K is going in the garage tomorrow to fettle up a few things and was going to have a play with the timing.

Does anyone have a link to or experience/advice on doing this?

(P.S. I know it has its dangers so none of the don't do it you fool reply's please folks Laughing)

http://ranfog.co.uk

2Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

3Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:07 pm

bettyswolloks

bettyswolloks

That's the fella, god knows why I couldn't find it Rolling Eyes

Cheers  Pal Ignition Advance 112350

4Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:04 am

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
Hi,
Could you let me know how you get on please?
I'd like to do the same to mine.

Mike.

5Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:01 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You can quite safely give them 4° more advance, it makes an enormous difference. Factory only set them at 6° to make them meet the smog laws.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:21 am

bettyswolloks

bettyswolloks
Will do Mike.
Rick, which way did you turn it? Looking at it head on. clockwise or anti-clockwise?

7Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:51 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Turn the plate clockwise to advance. Turn the plate 2.5mm to get 4°.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:21 am

bettyswolloks

bettyswolloks
RicK G wrote:Turn the plate clockwise to advance. Turn the plate 2.5mm to get 4°.

Cheers Pal.

I'll report back after I've given it a little tickle Ignition Advance 112350

9Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:47 pm

bettyswolloks

bettyswolloks
Done did, pictures to follow.
It makes a positive difference, the throttle is nice and crisp. I did the 2.5mm Rick recommended and yeah its worth the little effort it took to do. Then out of curiosity I went a little further just to see. It made the bottom of the rev range, 2000rpm, straight from the get go, very boggy, but get past that and its better, keener to rev higher if you see what I mean. So I tapped it back a little until I was happy with it. Gunna take it for a good run out tomorrow then check the plugs to see how its running.

Worth the effort. Gunna take the allen keys out with Me tomorrow to tweak it. The pictures are on my phone and its taking some time to download to the PC.

Hope this helps folks...

10Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Ignition advance Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:14 am

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
I know this is an old thread, but yesterday I advanced my timing plate 2.5mm clockwise as suggested by Rick G  

Throttle response at the lower end of the rev range is much crisper and seems to rev quicker than before as reported by bettyswollocks.

My bike was smooth at the normal buzz range of between 3800 and 4200 revs before the timing change, and still is smooth so no change there. 

Top end smoothness has not changed either.

Fuel consumption was always good before , but will see if it changes on  a longer trip.

Idle revs have increased by 100 rpm, she now sits at 1k which I prefer.

The motor seems to start a little quicker and the engine noise has reduced slightly, or perhaps its just my perception.

Thanks to Rick G for the info

Bob

Triumph T 140V Bonneville
Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

11Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:44 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Now stick a set of K1100 throttlebodies on and get a couple more BHP... and a bit more torque.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

12Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:57 am

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
...or TB's from a 1200?

13Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:15 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Have you tried that one?

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

14Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:24 am

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, I have a set of them on my Flying Brick. They don't have air bleed screws on them or a fast idle cable because the 12 has servo controlled tickover. I adjusted them with the throttle stop screw and with the engine at running temperature so all's well. I do have to open the throttle slightly to start it and warm it up with gentle blipping of the throttle. It would be possible to fit a fast idle cam and cable but I don't need it on the track bike.

Ignition Advance Img_3211

15Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Ignition advance Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:29 pm

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Funny you should mention 1100 throttle bodies, Dai,

I have a nice set with undisturbed blue paint marks to boot.

Got them from a chap on e bay in Denmark, not too expensive either.

Has everyone who has done this conversion had to adjust the mixture and the response form the air flow meter.

I do not have access to a co meter 

I need to find your thread input Dai, where you swapped the mounting plates over to continue using the k100 throttle cable mounting. 

I have managed to shift two stone in weight, that must be worth a couple of bhp..... 

Bob

Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

16Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty Re: Ignition Advance Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
This topic:

https://www.k100-forum.com/t1944p50-k1100-throttle-bodies-on-a-k100

My input (such as it was) was from post 95 onwards.

17Back to top Go down   Ignition Advance Empty ignition advance Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:50 am

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the link Dai,

it was your method I was interested in, ie , swapping the throttle body mounting plates so the original accelerator cable arm can be used.

I will probably do it later in the year when I can get access to a co meter for the mixture

Thanks again

Bob

Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

Sponsored content