BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Use of the "quote" function Empty Re: Use of the "quote" function Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:23 am

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
Here is an example how to quote what is relevant in your post.

Great, you get the concept of using the quotation properly without cluttering your post.
This is a perfect example for others.

Wasn't I doing that already?  Looking back at the flowmeter post, all my quotes are basically one liners. I did not need the example. Were you aiming that comment at others.

Maybe you can configure the forum software to remove the Quote button that grabs everything.  Perhaps that way people would be more likely to select the relevant bits. I don't know what kind of options are available with PunBB.

2Back to top Go down   Use of the "quote" function Empty Re: Use of the "quote" function Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:50 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
The 'Quote' button on the toolbar will do just that. Copy the info from your responder's post and paste it into the quote box.
Use of the "quote" function Forumq11
Also... I have a servimg.com account that I can log into and delete pics if I need BUT I'm guessing you might be able to access your pics by clicking one of the photos you've posted so it opens in a new tab. Then, if you trim the URL back to just the https://servimg.com you might be able to get to your account page where you delete images. I think that servimg.com logs you into your account when you log onto the forum. Just a thought. It might work. Works for me but I have a login account. I'm interested to see if that works.
Cheers

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Use of the "quote" function Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

3Back to top Go down   Use of the "quote" function Empty Re: Use of the "quote" function Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:04 am

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
The 'Quote' button on the toolbar will do just that.

Indeed the icon on toolbar does, that is why I suggested seeing whether it is possible to remove the Quote BUTTON which grabs everything. These php bulletin boards are usually highly configurable. It may be possible to opt to remove it. Just an idea, since this seems to be niggle for our admin. I agree massive quotes are a waste of space and make things harder to follow.

I'll check out your suggestion about images. Thx.

4Back to top Go down   Use of the "quote" function Empty Re: Use of the "quote" function Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:18 am

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
The Quote button makes it so easy, so I'd be happiest to see it left as it is. 

There will always be people who are unfamiliar enough to 
a) not be comfortable enough to remove the unwanted bits
b) inadvertently add their own comments to the quote rather than outside

If I leave all the quote in, it's because I mean to. 

Making a system that covers all possibilities (including reading the mind of the user) often turns out to be less user friendly than the original version, and frustrates the experienced users. 

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

5Back to top Go down   Use of the "quote" function Empty Re: Use of the "quote" function Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:25 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Thanks Kaptain.
I totally forgot about the quoting option on the editor.

If you have a very long quote and want it to be available on your post but not displayed all the time, you can insert it within a spoiler (This button: Use of the "quote" function Spoile10) scratch
Beamer wrote:
"Click me to expand/contract this example of a long quote :

You can also have multiple quotations or one quotation within another one as shown in this example:
Crazy Frog wrote:Great, you get the concept of using the quotation properly without cluttering your post.
This is a perfect example for others.
Beamer wrote:Wasn't I doing that already?  Looking back at the flowmeter post, all my quotes are basically one liners. I did not need the example. Were you aiming that comment at others.
Yes you were already doing that Beamer.
The quoting system is very flexible but it could be cumbersome if you want to get fancy.

I don't know if the "Quote" button should be totally removed from the post. We are better to educate people. Maybe we should start a thread dedicated to the functionality of the forum.

This forum has already been highly customized but nothing is ever perfect or definitive.

The original PunBB template has been chosen because of the flexibility and customization options. However, some of the modules are common to every forums and cannot be modified.

CF

6Back to top Go down   Use of the "quote" function Empty Re: Use of the "quote" function Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:36 am

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
Maybe we should start a thread dedicated to the functionality of the forum.
Good idea, I was a bit surprised that nothing like existed and there was no obvious place to put this message.

The "spoiler" icon is very inappropriately named. I hovered, got the the hint "spoiler" and went away none the wiser. Equally "hidden" = hidden what? They are very unhelpful hints.

A lot of software forums I use have a "questions about using forum" or similar.

7Back to top Go down   Use of the "quote" function Empty Use of the "quote" function Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:56 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
indian036 wrote:The Quote button makes it so easy, so I'd be happiest to see it left as it is.

If I leave all the quote in, it's because I mean to. 

I'd have to agree. Although I think the quote button is misused by quite a few.
Some use it even when the post they are replying to is just above, or leave the redundant quotes from 2 or 3 other posters. It makes it difficult to follow a tread when you have to wade thru all the overly repeated posts especially when they're lengthy.
When I need to quote, I always use the quote button in the post box and trim it down rather than use the one on the tool bar.

Maybe we should start a thread dedicated to the functionality of the forum.
CF, I think you mean "start a forum".
I think a dedicated forum would be a great idea.

Cheers

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Use of the "quote" function Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

8Back to top Go down   Use of the "quote" function Empty Re: Use of the "quote" function Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:13 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Kaptain Holister wrote:CF, I think you mean "start a forum".
You are right Kaptain and why waiting for this?
I just did it!  Use of the "quote" function 212902  
Now everybody can share their experience and tips

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum