BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   G'day from Tassie Empty G'day from Tassie Tue May 25, 2010 6:35 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi there, I was registered on the forum some months back but lost my password details so have been in "read only" mode.
Our little island underneath mainland Australia has about 470,000 people and the finest roads in the whole country.
My biggest decision leaving my driveway is whether to go left or right !
We (wife and self) tour on the mainland on our K100RT, complete with enough gear to camp for 2 weeks, not carrying food or cooking equipment. A tough gig but someone has to do it. The simple life - wat to go I reckon.

2Back to top Go down   G'day from Tassie Empty Re: G'day from Tassie Tue May 25, 2010 6:52 am

Vudis

Silver member
Silver member
Hi Dennis G'day from Tassie Icon_cheers

3Back to top Go down   G'day from Tassie Empty Re: G'day from Tassie Tue May 25, 2010 7:07 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   G'day from Tassie Empty Re: G'day from Tassie Tue May 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Bruce

Bruce
Silver member
Silver member
hello again!! hope you have some pics to post of the trip!

5Back to top Go down   G'day from Tassie Empty Re: G'day from Tassie Tue May 25, 2010 6:26 pm

For those who don't know there's a large and comfortable ferry service travelling back and forth between Tasmania and the 'Big Island' - it's a 12 hour voyage. Stow your bike in the hold overnight along with the large trucks and cars towing caravans, get a cabin or sleep in a large chair and next day roll off, go through quarantine, then ride to your hearts content on some of the finest ribbons of tarmac in the Kingdom. Just try to be back at camp by nightfall or else suffer the consequences of an inordinant amount of roadkill per capita. But lest you get the idea that the island can be 'done' in a day, be warned, there's a heap more there to see and do in a weekend or a week. The island's terrain varies from amazing beaches, a rugged mountainous interior with excellent, remote bushwalking, the former convict 'settlement' of Port Arthur, ripper rolling roads, farmland reminiscent of that other verdant isle, and reasonably hip little cities and towns to enjoy. After a three week moto roadtrip I took there in late-2007, I am yearning to return. Now if I could just find a window of opportunity from December through February when the tourists aren't jamming the caravan parks, motels, attractions and roads, and it's not cold and rainy!

I spent a fair bit of my childhood there and have many fine memories of running rampant with my three brothers back in the '60s. This year my bike's front wheel will be pointed in that direction once again.

6Back to top Go down   G'day from Tassie Empty Re: G'day from Tassie Tue May 25, 2010 8:07 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Dennis and that makes three from Tassie alone and it appears your experience will be very valuable.

And TWB Tasmania is not as wet as it used to be or reputed to be due to "climate change". Cooler than Tweed Heads maybe but it can still catch you unawares but I reckon our best time of year is early Autumn as it is the most stable, less tourists and not too windy.
A Lap around the state is roughly 1000k's but as mentioned a tad more than a day's ride and the ferry (there are two) also has daytime sailings although I have always liked the overnight "sea voyage".

7Back to top Go down   G'day from Tassie Empty Re: G'day from Tassie Tue May 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Hey Dennis,

Welcome (again) to the forum.
I guess you already found some Tasmanians K100 owners on this forum. How many more are still hiding from cyberspace?
Enjoy this friendly group of K100 enthusiastic people.

CF

8Back to top Go down   G'day from Tassie Empty Tasmanian members Tue May 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Yes, I'm wondering how many owners there are in Tassie. It would be good to arrange a meeting sometime, I am certainly interested. A trip to Hobart and back is about 520 k for me, just a nice day out.
On the touring note, I have crossed the "ditch" to Oz now 5 times since owning my K bike (3 years). Toured most of Victoria and some of southern NSW as well as canberra, usually for about 10 days each time and staying in either our small touring tent, on-site cabins, motels or a combination of all depending on the season.
For me (us) it is the simplicity, 2 people, 2 panniers + 1 52 litre top case, which allows about 28 kilos of luggage total, so when the spaces are filled or the weight is reached we clip the items to the bike, ride 20 minutes to the Spirit of Tas ferry and from there leave all home type issues at home and hit the open road. Essential technology for me is a GPS with head phones and a mobile phone with good coverage. No other support, just some knowledge of the bike and confidence that my preparation is thorough. We have clocked up about 15,000 K's on the mainland and I am just getting a taste for the lifestyle. I may consider a 10" laptop in the near future, it will be easier than writing notes and typing up when I get home.
My advice to others - just do it, not too much expense required.

9Back to top Go down   G'day from Tassie Empty Re: G'day from Tassie Tue May 25, 2010 11:21 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
I was told when I bought my bike it was a "mid life crisis" but not by my wife who fully supports my "hobby".
The touring bug however is another thing and I would really like to get back into it and maybe one day....
K-Bikes in Tassie I know there are "a lot" so maybe we will have to put a few flyers around when we see one.
As for the 10" netbook/laptop a great bit of gear as I use one for work and dirt cheap. Get one with an internal 3G/NextG modem and you would be set so you could log into the forum on the off chance of any roadside woes Very Happy

10Back to top Go down   G'day from Tassie Empty Re: G'day from Tassie Wed May 26, 2010 1:59 am

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
Hi there and welcome aboard!

I absolutely agree with you having the finest roads in OZ!!

I'll be coming back someday and wil lend a bike! There is no ferry from Germany to Taz unfortunately G'day from Tassie Affraid

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/alotz/portfolio/

11Back to top Go down   G'day from Tassie Empty Re: G'day from Tassie Wed May 26, 2010 2:20 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome back and we look forward to your posts.
Regards,
K-BIKE

12Back to top Go down   G'day from Tassie Empty Re: G'day from Tassie Wed May 26, 2010 3:31 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Tassie,
Welcome and enjoy Bert's forum.
Ajays [the Pom]

If you wanna see pictures go to https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=MrFantavox&aq=f

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum