BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Calvert

Calvert
I'll keep this post as simple as I can... The ultimate answer I'm looking for is "Can I use the Motogadget M-Unit to replace the Electrical Wiring Loom and Remove the ECU?"

I'm building a Cafe, Braaap, Scrambler hybrid Flying Brick, any Pures out there I'm sorry but i think they are wasted covered in all that heavy unnecessary faring. (no abusive responses needed, it wouldn't do us all to be the same). But i know its not that Simple; and the wiring is the only thing I feel out of my depth with.

I bought a K100RS 8V 1989. Which comes with the obvious two wiring looms:

Fuel Injection Loom (inc Control module)
Electrical Loom (Inc ECU)

I have stripped and removed the following:

All handle bar controls
Speedo
All lights
ABS System
Air Box

I'll be replacing all these with new custom parts.

Can someone assist me with some pointers on what needs to be kept? If the two looms and systems require each other to function correctly; whether or not i can run the bikes electronics i.e. Fan, Oil, Engine Temp etc through the M-Gadget.

Any info would be a start, as i cant seem to see an exact practical examples or definitive answers.

Thanks

Chris

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Calvert wrote:I'll keep this post as simple as I can... The ultimate answer I'm looking for is "Can I use the Motogadget M-Unit to replace the Electrical Wiring Loom and Remove the ECU?"

Short answer no.

Long answer anything can be done if you have money and time enough....plenty of both.

Calvert

Calvert
Sorry Guys it's a 16v not an 8v..

Thanks Inge, looking for some more tangible guidance... but thanks for what I asked for... a short answer. Hahaha

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Calvert wrote:Thanks Inge, looking for some more tangible guidance...

OK, the Motogadget M-unit isn't smart enough to substitute the Motronic.
But it can replace the fuse box and some of the relays.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Inge states it succinctly; you'll need the engine loom for ECU, injection and ignition. The only thing the M-Unit can do is to simplify the combi switch functions as long as you use their M-Buttons, and eliminate some of the relays and generally lean out the required wiring to the lights and start function. You can strip out most of the chassis loom as I've done with my Big Block. You can also continue to use the clunky (for a scrapler-hybrid-cafe look) original switchgear with the MU, however. Search the Russian mob's video showing it functioning on their wire wheeled K here on the forum.

Calvert

Calvert
Hey Two Wheels,

I've purchased some aftermarket controls, the original ones were just too sun damaged.

I'll do a search, because I'd really like to remove as much as I can.

Looks like I'll have to find a place for the two control units then.

:-(

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum