BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Odometer intermittent Empty Odometer intermittent Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:09 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Hi, anybody knows how to solve problem with odometer. It stopped working and I changed the broken plastic gear. It started again but not for a long. Now it work one day, next day not. No visual mechanical failure.
Any idea?

2Back to top Go down   Odometer intermittent Empty Re: Odometer intermittent Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:50 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
which gear did you change nino ?

they do have a tendency to break teeth off the mating gear
also the smallest  gears are known to split along their length

I have a similar issue myself ..I suspect the small gear is just hanging in there , but needs to be changed
I have some pictures , but not with me at the moment

heading off tomorrow for 3 days , sorry but will be back

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Odometer intermittent Empty Re: Odometer intermittent Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:08 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check the small gear Nino they split along the line of the teeth and just slip on the shaft. The sure sign is that they slide of the shaft really easilly when you give them a push with a small screwdriver.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Odometer intermittent Empty Re: Odometer intermittent Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:28 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Which one did you replace?

Odometer intermittent Gears10

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

5Back to top Go down   Odometer intermittent Empty Re: Odometer intermittent Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:42 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I had a similar problem with my small cog. If you push it hard up against the shaft be aware that the shaft not only spins but moves in and out (although just a little) and the little cog then jammed against the clear plastic casing. I pulled the small cog away from the casing, along the shaft.

6Back to top Go down   Odometer intermittent Empty Re: Odometer intermittent Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:34 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for answers. I changed doubled one because of broken teeth. When find some time Ill check small cog. Maybe on weekend.

7Back to top Go down   Odometer intermittent Empty Re: Odometer intermittent Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:50 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Yes, it was broken small cog. I saw the culprit but now there is problem. I dont know how to remove small cog from shaft. I have spare one from old speedo which was OK but problem doubled.
Is there any way to remove small cog with brass bushing?
Thanks

8Back to top Go down   Odometer intermittent Empty Re: Odometer intermittent Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:58 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I removed mine by using side cutters... pliers that are designed to cut electrical wires, and you cut through the plastic cog along the grooves and squeeze the pliers. The brass should then change shape and be cut in at least one place. Good luck.

9Back to top Go down   Odometer intermittent Empty Re: Odometer intermittent Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:36 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks, finally I changed whole dial set. Used of course but with good cogs.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum