BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Best fork seals to get? Empty Best fork seals to get? Mon 05 Dec 2016, 03:07

Oliveri

Oliveri
Silver member
Silver member
18 months ago I bought some fork seals of ebay. Hmmm...I'm sure you can guess the rest.  Best fork seals to get? 797640

I want to make sure this time that i'm replacing them with the best possible seal out there. If the OEM's are the best, can i get them somewhere else other than my local BMW dealer?

1988 K100RT...#0096960 ..."Heisenberg"...Status: Work in progress
http://www.oliveris.com.au

2Back to top Go down   Best fork seals to get? Empty Re: Best fork seals to get? Mon 05 Dec 2016, 13:43

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The genuine seem to be the only seals worth having. I tried some of the web find seals only to have one actually turn itself inside out on a big pothole. Now I always use OEM.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Best fork seals to get? Empty Re: Best fork seals to get? Tue 06 Dec 2016, 03:58

Oliveri

Oliveri
Silver member
Silver member
Yep, I hear you. Ordered them today. Also included new bushes in that order. Is there a step by step on how to change them anyware?

4Back to top Go down   Best fork seals to get? Empty Re: Best fork seals to get? Tue 06 Dec 2016, 10:15

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
If you think the seals failed prematurely, you may want to have a close look at the condition of the fork tube themselves.  Nicks and scratches can and do destroy seals, so if you find the surface of a tube suspect a bit of dressing it with some fine grade emery cloth pays dividends.  
BTW, I'm a fan of gaiters on forks.  Appearances may or may not be to your liking, but they do promote long seal life.

5Back to top Go down   Best fork seals to get? Empty Re: Best fork seals to get? Tue 06 Dec 2016, 13:22

Oliveri

Oliveri
Silver member
Silver member
I totally agree. In my case the tubes are in excellent condition and I do like gaiters. Funny story I won't get into now. I have 1 gaiter and will order a second so when I'm reassembling the forks it will all be complete. 

...would like to get some clarity on replacing the bushes so I'm not just relying on my intuition.

6Back to top Go down   Best fork seals to get? Empty Howdya go ? Sun 02 Apr 2017, 03:13

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
Hey Oliveri,

How did you go with your persuit of seal replacement education? I'm right behind you.

Jez.

7Back to top Go down   Best fork seals to get? Empty Re: Best fork seals to get? Sun 02 Apr 2017, 08:14

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Oliveri wrote:
...would like to get some clarity on replacing the bushes so I'm not just relying on my intuition.
To supplement the workshop manual for your bike that is undoubtedly in your possession, watch this video. Although it is not a K fork, the disassembly principles are the same. Especially useful is the method of loosening the fork bolt countersunk within the axle opening. It is the most exciting moment of the entire procedure. Laughing

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum