BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty non starting prob Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
Hi again just had a go at getting my bike started (84>85 100 rs), its been dry stored for a couple of years and the last owner said it had a new fuel pump fitted before it was laid up

here are a few things about it
1.new battery fully charged (turns over no problem)
2.plugs spark and are new (bone dry when taken out)
3.wires connected to the tank
4.relays under the seat click when ignition switch is turned
5.tank drained and filled with new fuel
6.no signs of broken or disconected wires
Is the fuel pump meant to make a noise if so what should i hear, if there is no noise non starting prob Icon_arrow non starting prob Icon_arrow does this mean the fuel pump is broke or can i check it by putting a meter on some of the wires non starting prob Icon_question
Any help or advise on this will be greatly appreciated as i know your all busy people polishing and riding your own iron horses non starting prob Icon_lol

2Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty Re: non starting prob Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:37 pm

badgerdid

badgerdid
Silver member
Silver member
Yes the fuel pump should make a noise, like a whoooshing sound, if you just give the start button a quick press you should hear it. you dont have to listen hard either you should hear it clear. If in boubt undo the tank cap and listen, it only sounds momentary by the way as if it builds the pressure up then stops, unless its running of course

If you dont hear it then check the connection to the tank, the wiring plug near the front left. the amount of times i tried to start mine and it wouldnt start but i had forgot to connect the plug when i refitted the tank is unbelievable.

3Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty Re: non starting prob Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:09 pm

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
non starting prob Icon_smile thank you . something does make a noise like a very very short buzz noise. the conector is conected to the tank ..

do i put a meter on the injector conectors and what readings should i be looking for if anything. non starting prob Icon_question non starting prob Icon_arrow I think the main concern for me is that the spark plugs are bone dry

4Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty Re: non starting prob Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:48 pm

badgerdid

badgerdid
Silver member
Silver member
http://www.todayspics.co.uk/pics/IMG_0047.MOV
Hi
I just shot a quick video with my phone to try and show the noise, well its the noise i get with mine anyway, hope it helps, you might have to turn the volume up to hear it, its the whoooshing noise just as i press the start button. does sound like its your pump not working though, do you get a similar sound?

5Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty Re: non starting prob Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
non starting prob Icon_arrow thank you for that . . mine doesnt sound like that non starting prob Icon_sad . do you know if the pump sticks with sitting for a long period non starting prob Icon_question

6Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty Re: non starting prob Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:35 pm

badgerdid

badgerdid
Silver member
Silver member
Not sure, maybe take it out and give it a clean, also check the fuel filter thats inside the tank.
Other than that im not sure im afraid.

7Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty Re: non starting prob Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:55 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bobbie,
The answer is yes the pumps are inclined to stick if they are not used for a long time also to bad connections from the plug and socket under the tank.
Regards,
K-BIKE

8Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty Re: non starting prob Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:27 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Another issues could be that the rubber mounting of the pump in the tank dissolves and clogs the pump at times. Have a good look in the tank.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland non starting prob Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

9Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty Re: non starting prob Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:50 am

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
thank you . . i will try all tonight after work non starting prob Icon_wink . . .

10Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty Re: non starting prob Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:50 pm

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
ok ladies here is the story for today

non starting prob Icon_arrow pump is knackard out of the tank and into the bin (trash can) never touched the sides ,straight in . .
all the rubber hoses inside the tank are knackard too and need to be replaced as they have turned into chewing gum ,also the tank had a tide mark of wax where the fuel sat over a long period of time ,there is also resinous wax like crystals inb the bottom of the tank so that will be the next job (cleaning out the tank)
gauze filter was a little dirty but the wost about it was the mesh was away from the frame. The rubber round the pump was ok . Sooooooooooo non starting prob Icon_arrow non starting prob Icon_arrow

Shopping list for me

one Fuel pump
gauze filter
hoses for inside the tank
fuel filter
crank case breather hose
air filter
tea bags ,milk and sugar
any reccomendations for the above would be much appreciated

11Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty Re: non starting prob Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:23 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
The pump may not have to be trashed.
Look in the tutorial section for the way to dismantle the pump. You may be able to save it and at the same time save a couple of hundred $.

12Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty Re: non starting prob Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:49 pm

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
thank you . . can you get parts for the pump or do you have to buy the whole pump . . the blue material on the side wall where the bearings run looks damaged . . also i pocked a screwdriver down the black plastic pipe and it felt like i had punctured something non starting prob Icon_question maybe not i will see tomorrow when i open it up . .

13Back to top Go down   non starting prob Empty Re: non starting prob Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Sorry, you cannot buy individual parts for the pump.
At least, if you dismantle it you will learn how it works.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum