BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Belly pan/fairing Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:35 am

tunza60

tunza60
Does anyone know if early K RS's came fitted with a belly pan/fairing? I saw a pic of an 83 one the other day and i liked the way it looked, but i didnt think they came as standard..unless it was retro-fitted.

2Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:20 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Nope, not standard. But those belly pans do make the bikes look pretty sharp!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:17 pm

robinm

robinm
Silver member
Silver member
They came std on the '88-'89 limited edition. I have a one on my '85, and yes they look good.

4Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:29 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
k75 has it though, right? Bert's blue bike has one.

5Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
club_c wrote:k75 has it though, right? Bert's blue bike has one.

The belly pan came only on the S model. My K75 was originally a C model (naked)
This is a belly pan that I bought used and modified it to fit with the Sprint fairing. The Sprint fairing is originally designed for the K100 but it fits the K75 too.

Bert

6Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:30 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Standard on the 85 RS and on the 91 75s
Belly pan/fairing 1258625242_resizedBelly pan/fairing 1258625164_resized

Most people removed them to make oil and filter changes easier.
Pity you change fro naked to RS Bert as the good nakeds are modern classic in demand and this will increase in value.
Ajays

7Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I didn't convert the bike. I bought it already converted.
This was the choice of the original owner, but he invested a lot of money on it (ohlin shock, Sprint fairing, all stainless screws, stainless steel brake lines,....).
At 250k, I had a full paint job.

8Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:54 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Off topic I know but is that your K75 Ajays and if so what is with the cannon Very Happy

9Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:54 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Phil,
Yes it is one of mine and the cannon is a Klaxon horn. Have you heard the 75s horn? It's pitiful. They certainly hear this...! E-bay, just type in Klaxon and they are there for £10 approx.
Strange how we are all strangers yet know each other so well.
Cheers Ajays

10Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:29 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Belly pan/fairing 1277961627_resized

Bert & Co, Mine at a show.....Drew a lot of attention and offers....and before you ask, the ventilated cover was a market fruit tray stacked up in the market, I saw the potential and borrowed one...!
Ajays

11Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:35 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Your bikes are a credit to you Ajays.

Can we have a close-up shot of the fruit tray?

12Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:23 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Belly pan/fairing 1277986827_resized

It had legs on it so they got chopped off. Its nicely vented. I of corse added the BMW Motif.
Ajays

AJAYS

13Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
A sad day for me....Both the bikes I have sold on..K100 pictured and the K100RS. They have gone to good homes and were an absolute bargain.
They were getting a bit too heavy for me to shunt about and with pressure from the family they had to go. I have just the 2 K75S's and the Gilera. Does that make me an outsider now from the forum?
Ajays.

AJAYS

14Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:02 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Wow, how are you holding up?
Whoever bought those bikes would be the luckiest people on earth.

Going on your past performance here on this forum, it would only be fair to let you continue posting your thoughts and suggestions. Belly pan/fairing Icon_biggrin

15Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:32 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Ajays,
We are the ones who are privileged to have the opportunity to receive the wisdom of Solomon with regard to motorcycling. I would not care if you had no bikes I and I am sure all of the others would still very much welcome your sage advice and insightful comments. Do not think of leaving us, ever!
Regards,
K-BIKE

16Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:55 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Cor Shucks....I've gone all Coy!
When the time comes that I cannot ride the 75S's I'll just look at 'em.
I will always have a bike no matter what the pressure.
The wife says if I do get anymore she is going to buy a horse and keep it in the garage.
Cheers lads, I'll be about. Ajays

AJAYS

17Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:01 am

tunza60

tunza60
Yep Ajay i will second the previous post.. your 75 is an absolute gem and inspires me to greater heights in the appearance and upkeep of my beast.

18Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:41 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
If they're still going, Profile Fairings of Belfast made a really neat belly pan fairing - much slimmer than the OEM version. In 1989 they were £65 in etch primer. Belly pan/fairing Icon_biggrin

One of my K100RS' came with one and I'm going to blend it in to the Yamaha R6 [ '09 ] top fairing for my Race Rep project.

Belly pan/fairing Kayse-bay015

Last edited by beachcomber on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pix)

19Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:01 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Just found this period pic of the Profile Fairings version.

Belly pan/fairing Img176

20Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:07 am

tunza60

tunza60
Thats a good -looking beast youve shown us there..love the gold wheels , what products do you use to keep her looking so lustrous?..or is it all elbow grease. Looking up profile fairings as i speak..cheers

21Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:32 am

tunza60

tunza60
Hey BC, no luck with profile fairings,,as you mooted ..must be defunct.

22Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:30 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Tunza - I can't take credit for the k100RS - it was as I bought it from the previous owner. Strange - it was used every day as a commuter around the notorious M25 in London and he said only cleaned once a month!

Re the belly fairing - I was toying with the idea of taking a mould off it before I start moulding it into the R6 top.

I do prefer the look of this one over the OEM version - much slimmer but still with good cooling. Only took 15 minutes to remove it - so no biggie for servicing. Belly pan/fairing Icon_wink

23Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:06 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Beachy,
I too like the gold wheels, are they just sprayed ?
All black they look nice.
I reckon you will sell a few Belly Pans if the price is right. Lots of people looking for the standard ones.

Hey fellas have you seen Beachy's Red model...the bike I mean...!

Belly pan/fairing 1278090107_resized

AJAYS

24Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:46 pm

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Ajays - great to "see" you again ...........our German cousins ARE MISSING YOUR INPUT !!

Sorry to read about thinning your stable out - but I'm also coming to the realisation, there's anly so many you can ride !

Yes - we had the Gold wheel debate a while back - most of the "old guard" were definitely anti.

The wheels were sprayed with Plasticote Gold [ B&Q ] as a stop gap to smarten them up - and that's as far as I got. They did bring lots of ooohs and aaahs. I have to say as an enthusiastic amateur sprayer, I was extremely pleased at how well the rattle cans performed. My pal bought the wheels and they still look as good as the day they were sprayed [ 5 years ago ].

I am tempted re: the belly pan fairing - especially as Profile seem to be defunct now. I think it IS prettier than the OEM version - disguises the big lump of engine in that area.

Note that it as a little "short" on the K100 - probably because they designed it to fit the shorter 75 as well without mods. Personally I would have [ might do ] make it long enough to look correct on the 100 and simply put a flash cut line in the mould to chop it off for the 75. Regrettably they wouldl not be the 60 odd quid range of the original back in the day !

Ajays - I STILL regret selling that bike .............................

25Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:10 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Beachy,
Yep, just the 75s's and the Gilera. Both buyers were over the moon on their purchase....sad day.
Remind the fella's on here of your gathering. I hope pics will be available of the event. Regards to your long suffering wife.
Ajays
Pst; I thought with your standing it may have been Gold Leaf...!

AJAYS

26Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:08 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Had time to give it some serious thought Ajays - I'll wait a while until my long suffering pal has worked through the current batch of "wannados", and drop a not so subtle hint.

Ahhh "Beachomber's 5th. Annual Pig Roast" in Reichenau. Belly pan/fairing Icon_twisted Belly pan/fairing Icon_twisted

Yep, if any members are in the area - let me know. We've already got a selection coming along from the German Flying Brick site - one dropped in unexpectedly last year!

It's the weekend of the 31st / 1st. [ 4 weeks and counting ]. There is spare accomodation - albeit "basic". We're situated 40 kms North of Dresden.

We will ask for a small contribution to the Pig and beer - otherwise - free house. Belly pan/fairing Icon_lol

I MUST know about numbers beforehand so I can plan the size of Pig and the accomodation. Belly pan/fairing Icon_cool

27Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:34 am

judsrs

judsrs
Hey Guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I am about to fit a belly pan to my 83RS and thought it my be worthwhile to post up some pic's and info on how I go. I love the look of the pans as they complete the whole fairing.
After much looking, I eventually found an OEM pan at MotoBins in the U.K for about $200 Aussie. Being in the engineering game I will try to come up with some sort of bracket to fit it. I have looked everywhere in OZ for a bracket but can not find one.

Will let you know how I get on! Cheers Jud

28Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:00 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Good luck with that. They can be the finishing touch and they do look good.

29Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:50 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
The next time I do an oil change I will take pictures of the bkts. They are simple to make. the rear one is just a tongue on the Pan to fit in a slot on the bike. Front is just 2 screws into a bkt on the bike. Not rocket science. Even you could do it Blakey....just kidding mate
Ajays

AJAYS

30Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:04 am

judsrs

judsrs
This is a pic of a pan like the one I got, it shows the bracket to attach it. I guess it acts as a heat shield as well.

Belly pan/fairing KGrHqIOKkQE23BHL1lBN4D-tO1Dg_12

31Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:09 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
judsrs wrote:Hey Guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I am about to fit a belly pan to my 83RS and thought it my be worthwhile to post up some pic's and info on how I go. I love the look of the pans as they complete the whole fairing.
After much looking, I eventually found an OEM pan at MotoBins in the U.K for about $200 Aussie. Being in the engineering game I will try to come up with some sort of bracket to fit it. I have looked everywhere in OZ for a bracket but can not find one.

Will let you know how I get on! Cheers Jud

good one jud ......please post pics ...this is way cool !!!

32Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:57 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The bracket in the picture is an early model, it was modified on the left side later on.

The rearmost mounting point was moved from the sump to the cylinder head and most of the sheet metal on this side was removed.

I don`t know exactly when or why, but I`ll guess it was when 16V was introduced and that the headers on these needed more space.

Inge K.

33Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:00 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
makes sense inge

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

34Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:42 am

judsrs

judsrs
OK Guys! I had a crack at getting the pan on today scratch

This is how it looks straight out of the box

Belly pan/fairing Juds006

First job is to whack something under it to see how well it fits, and to no surprise being a BMW part it fits perfectly cheers

Belly pan/fairing Juds009

Left side bracket had to be 47mm from the holes on the sump to the face of the bracket. A bit fiddly to make as there are a few bits it needs to clear.

Belly pan/fairing Juds015

The right side was 75mm from the holes on the exhaust headers to the face of the bracket.

Belly pan/fairing Juds014

There are some reinforced patches on the sides of the pan where the holes need to be drilled and aligned with the bracket. A test fit and she's ready for paint Belly pan/fairing 723598

Belly pan/fairing Juds017
Belly pan/fairing Juds018

I got the paint done tonight, apart from a few runs in the clear Belly pan/fairing 652573 it looks a treat. I'll give it a wet sand and polish tomorrow and bolt it up!! carn't wait

Cheers jud

35Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:50 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sweeeeeet !!!!

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

36Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:27 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yeah those belly pans put a good finishing touch to them (dont forget the picies) but RUNS in the paint I think we shall have to christen you Niagra.Laughing

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

37Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:30 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Can't wait to see the painted photos!

Well done.

38Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:42 am

judsrs

judsrs
K Freak wrote:Yeah those belly pans put a good finishing touch to them (dont forget the picies) but RUNS in the paint I think we shall have to christen you Niagra.Laughing

Mate with my painting experience I've made more runs than the Aussie cricket team playing Zimbabwe Embarassed

thank god for cutting polish Laughing

39Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:43 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye !!!!!

40Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:46 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Belly pan/fairing 44271

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

41Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:28 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Nice work done with homemade brackets, simple and easy compared to the genuine one.
This is the later version made for the 16V, but it fits well.

It can be mentioned that the genuine bracket is rubber mounted, I`ll guess the reason is damping resonances.

Inge K.

42Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:36 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
That is a better mount than the early ones and easier to remove for oil changes. I would mount with rubber washers or you will be asking for splits and cracks...a good job ...he knows what he's doing.

Ajays.

AJAYS

43Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:04 am

judsrs

judsrs
Thanks for the kind comments guys! yes I have mounted it with rubber washers both in front and behind the pan. Hoping I will not have any issues with it. I went for a blurt on her today and when I got back it was still there Belly pan/fairing 723598 I love it when a plan comes together!!

Feast your eyes on these

Belly pan/fairing IMG_0034

Belly pan/fairing IMG_0027

Belly pan/fairing IMG_0028

Belly pan/fairing IMG_0031

44Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:24 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great work jud ...she looks a princess with all those "accessories -bling "....giggle

45Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:35 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Well done. It looks sharp!

46Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:30 am

That should have been standard equipment on all of the K100 series! Looking good!

47Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:00 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I want a belly pan.......

So +1 to the job Very Happy

Belly pan/fairing 169042Belly pan/fairing 169034

48Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:13 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Two Wheels Better wrote:That should have been standard equipment on all of the K100 series! Looking good!
+1. It became standard from the 16V model, but should been far earlier.

Also some other bellypans was made for the K`s, but I think the genuine one have best
design to match the lines of the bike.

Inge K.

49Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:00 pm

macmies

macmies
twincarb wrote:I want a belly pan.......

So +1 to the job Very Happy

Me too! That is one super clean RS! (Same color as mine).

50Back to top Go down   Belly pan/fairing Empty Re: Belly pan/fairing Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:01 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Love that colour!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum