BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bergman

Bergman
Hi everybody!

I developed a fuel leak from my fuel sender recently, when I pulled it out I found a pretty badly deteriorated O-ring. Bought an O-ring but when I went to put it back in I noticed the wire coatings are pretty brittle. There's a big break in the yellow one, and I put a few more cracks in it myself just monkeying with it. Also, the lead on the other wire is broken. I think someone tugged when they actually meant to unscrew.. But besides that it looks like it's in pretty good condition. I'm really at a loss now because I don't have any electrical knowledge, but I'm pretty sure you experienced gents would advise me not to put it back in the way it is. Thoughts on a course of action?
Fuel level sender wiring brittle/broken Img_1120
Fuel level sender wiring brittle/broken Img_1121
Fuel level sender wiring brittle/broken Img_1122

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Best remedy is to replace the wires.  You'll have to use 16GA 19 strand silver wires with PTFE (Teflon) insulation for the longest life repair.  Alternatively, you can use 16GA silver wires with PVC insulation, but they will eventually be attacked by the ethanol in gasoline and deteriorate.  This type of wire is available at boat supply shops.  When I did such a repair, I procured the wire through Ebay from a seller named navships.

You'll need to replace the ring terminals on the ends of the wires during the repair.  The positive has a smaller ring terminal hole diameter of 4.5mm; the ground has a larger ring terminal hole diameter of 5.5mm. There are Imperial ring terminals that come close to these Metric measurements.

You'll go through the following process:

1) unsolder the existing wiring from the gas tight connector and the ground lug.  Use care.  You need a 50W - 80W temp controlled soldering iron to heat the joint enough that the solder melts but the plastic doesn't.  Apply the heat and once the solder melts, pull out the existing wire.
2) Clean up excess solder on the lugs so that the hole is revealed.  Use solder wick to suck up excess.
3) Cut wires of the correct length and strip 1/8" of insulation from each end.  
4) Crimp new ring terminals on the ends of one set of wires.  Solder the crimped connector to the wire to ensure a good connection.  Use liquid flux to ensure solder flows well.  Don't overheat the connection and melt the insulation.
5) Using small heat shring tubing 1/2" long, thread the wire pair through the heat shrink and shrink the tubing over the wires about every 3"
6) Insert the other end of each wire into the holes in the cleaned up lugs.  Solder the wire to the lugs, again using flux and just enough heat to complete the job.

Pictures of my last repair:

Fuel level sender wiring brittle/broken VVaX-zWviblY9t-hul4TuMJV0OdGF8H_VQTRTiI4EjQ3rNwXCsxQrVpbQ4AGuhQ4jsojybSnnwIw-gfEds9pQ-n-DxGrhCZ7KSZB4vSL4FB-_N2xAtw10AlJyk8DRpP5BbEEo1uixmkJzgf-70DrdTAu6yh80lUXqrQCF1a0mJh0fa3sNhuWMbv29eVpIrXymFeIcjWMe6kNjDWXIrS_Uqpz9A_vxEtO4PHL0jfSX7-oOx00OgTMspHqrB2UXXKOGv0g2uEutgVBjA7wmFfIAlTEk67JhTdbsGB2KrcXbucNwZu96P1913jtvnjC_9z7mwi2z6Z88FkzsLjisbaNpNjT-tMN_DSbyr7O5jZppTRnk6fX_LpMgbSp5F2hbNzJ4t3NpdVTPbGHeuSGk48Hb_tvDIZOiCM0huuAdR7s2fSnXmwGdJ9UjCbnNxHPBiNQvYn1vDlbc3fWnvQsvuICPXkh-UoZEUMxZUZ0qRDJ_x_Q1vTiOl_iZkeVD6uwK1RIoqT9HZ7jdRprkByfvwPutU40osHBmHVYNM3eUOvldhoYL3_YP6rWo5bn7dRVgYpo_Ifg6bxuu1U2NIyUM2ofviygV7nBuP5MqmC9vzbX4w=w788-h1398-no

Fuel level sender wiring brittle/broken 0oKVF-aloUbSMkJhvaMNJMqXJ5lav9XPdWyjGXEF0VYBHDfG8eGnIdQ1IWnMbpOxux_V7YcS3_AxvAjC7DWJA2wIQ3QMqKBwHkEuuZhpD3CL8CY9hQtitomGf19sLLc9uEtOvsLKwjT-SOxwkmL33YbsEVX1OYuherdEx--OS8swTs72FNA8zyYZZUyHqA8NkrU78UyaSef4ZxbfAh0JmOGH7Teag32C1wjEReQZ86tWOxFDdvsqhltSqt9Cr0bky2u4wC7nfChhqSy3Ou1DSUueYb_Y9FZqmpUsOcCNlLHHLYucDww_PX4ivHZr4rtNbKLV-wOhPebVmVFYhUEU1d4c6cZ45v6uT9ba9sEjTNUdzG4VaqgKgGC3Es8b4eCCdVq6sx0UNhOutWPbrBMX6pGqL-ci7_10r15BVUwBB6NWLacI9iL0zL-y_CPeT8SHZecMGU45eLyvCO1zBWWTf64cNr5GJ_0NYgjM-RVsUP0hxKUqY8tfrE-brmsr-Q4ViPk8UCyDbHjJEgpE5xuQ_VnVKdz-3JKxO3TGT8P2c5bTG1QlEA3LJFLGDEiruU0bkYq47-1jtiG--S9R520MIaf7VPI06FfOcwgVSiIc3g=w788-h1398-no

Bergman

Bergman
Thanks Robert, this is exactly what I needed!

4Back to top Go down   Fuel level sender wiring brittle/broken Empty Fuel level sender rewire Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:57 pm

lefthander

lefthander
Silver member
Silver member
Hello,
I've removed my fuel level sender from my 1992 k75. Does anyone have pictures of the sender soldered and rewired? The insulation on the wires is gone and I need to resolder a couple of connections on the sender unit itself. I can solder but not electrically savy at all. Anyway what I have is two soldered points have broken off. I'm pretty sure I have to rewire everything so if anyone has pictures that show which wires go to which points I can try to fix it. Bike has 39000 miles on it but sat for about 2-3 years with gas in the tank. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 P.S. The pictures in the previous post could not be accessed.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum