BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 pm

charlie99

VIP
VIP
lol ..

no worries rossco ...just make sure you bring it with you .

52Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:58 am

col

col
Life time member
Life time member
charlie
would a set of oxy tip cleaners do i have a set

53Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:02 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
now theres an idea col ....

as long as the right angle section to tip is no longer than about 12 mm in total ...else it wont fit in the hole ..i guess

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

54Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:49 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
I'd like to ask a dumb question? If when blowing down the resevoir tube the air goes out the allready free hole do we have to block it to make it go out the other hole? or is it from the caliper end where we have to blow? i cant get my head around the releif thing for the caliper

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

55Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:00 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Oh please. Not another suggestion. No matter how good it is.
K75ster, I had not thought of that and it would have been a bloody good idea about 36 hours ago.
How better to find a hole than to block all the ones you know about. grrrr.
New brake is in the post now and exhibit A will be placed in a locked, sealed lead lined bag and hauled to the northern parts for closer inspection.
As it was Blakey's suggestion to bring it along, he has first dibs Shocked

K75ster, it is in the master cylinder somewhere, not the caliper.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

56Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Yep in the master, thats the frownable part to be replaced, because we cant figure out why it wont release pressure off the caliper, all good and clear, sheene used to say answers on the back of a post card, indeed will wait till blakey has perused it

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

57Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:22 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
because the equalisation hole aint working as the piston goes past the feed, fluid backfills the behind piston area ...(now in vacume mode )

the pressure now (positive ) behind the piston will not let the piston release back to the normal home position

if the equalisation tube was working it would bypass in the return mode and allow some fluid to go back up to the resevoir ...it would also get rid of the vacume behind the piston in the first place .

make sence ?

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

58Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:18 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
If there is a mystery hole it is will hidden from me.
I put an old piston in the cylinder, removed the caliper and put air backwards into the system from the nipple.
So if there was a mystery hole, I am assuming some air would come back out the reservoir hole as the main hole is now plugged by the lower (closest to the spring) rubber seal.
None did.
Pushing the piston up and down had no effect.
I looked down the cylinder with a hand lens and there are no more holes. It is clean and shiney all the way down.
I did mention earlier about a ring down near the end of the cylinder.

Found it. At least a co-worker did.
It is a pin prick about 1cm down from the main inlet hole.
Stand by.

See it there?
Brake seizure - Page 2 Brake_11

Made up a cleaning tool from the soft metal clip thing out of a manila folder and the end of a pin.
Hole seems pretty blocked.
Ultrasonic cleaner time. As suggested by ReneZ in post #3. Sounds like good advice, now.

Last edited by rossco on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:37 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Little prick of a thing)

K1100RS 0194321

59Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:37 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
In we go for a bit of a poke and then home for a ultrasonic bath.

Brake seizure - Page 2 P1010010

K1100RS 0194321

60Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Um, good luck with that. I used a single bristle from a brass cleaning brush. But you never know.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

61Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:56 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Charlie got it, checked pic again and still looks like a shadow no wonder it isnt viewed easily, good luck rossco

62Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:06 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
blakey wrote:Um, good luck with that. I used a single bristle from a brass cleaning brush. But you never know.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Yes, the pin is way too big. Single bristle will be fitted at home.

K1100RS 0194321

63Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:09 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thats why i thought the primus valve cleaner would be best rossco ....already built ...

hey good find by the way ...

we must take some mesurements to exactly how far in that hole is huh ? then we can be "right on the ball"

good work brother

64Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:25 pm

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
Hopefully adding to this existing post is correct. I recently lost all fluid from the rear master cylinder due to bad seals. Installed a repair kit, (shaft with seals, spring, and dust boot) the repair kit did not include the parts circled in red in the following image. Nor did I see these parts when I removed the master cylinder. Should my 85 LT have these? (no ABS)

Also, with everything assembled and installed according to the instructions in this thread, I have virtually no rear brake. If I am stopped it will hold the bike, but if I am moving it will not stop the bike. The pedal feels mushy compared to how it felt prior to losing the seals and fluid (it stopped great up until that time). Will try removing the caliper and positioning it so that with the bleeder open any air bubbles will hopefully escape out the top. But that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Any advice is appreciated.

Edit: part 6 appears to be attached to the brake pedal itself. There is nothing similar to the part to the left of part 3.
Brake seizure - Page 2 Mastercylinder_zpseeeb45d2

"Gretchen II" (Gretchen von Gearshiften)

65Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Part 6 is the adjuster and most likely will still be in the brake pedal as for the other part I cant imagine it working without it as it is part of the piston mechanism.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

66Back to top Go down   Brake seizure - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake seizure Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:24 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Today I had to replace my brake caliper because it got seized and the seals were cooked. Maybe the link between the pedal and the MC was not correctly adjusted and the return hole was not functioning correctly.

To bleed the brake, I found a good way  Very Happy .
I removed the caliper from the bike and had it standing as high as possible with the bleeder pointing toward the sky. As the air is always rising to the highest point, it was really easy to bleed the system. I used a pump to start then just used the brake pedal to finish. Another advantage is that you can be sitting on the bike to operate the brake pedal and the caliper is right beside you to open and close the bleeder.
As you see on the pic, I had a block between the 2 pads.

Brake seizure - Page 2 Dsc_3310

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum