BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

DBRMN

Life time member
Life time member
Had to redesign the box as it was impossible to weld, the result has a lip which looks ugly but i'm going to fill the welds to make them smooth then paint the box so I think it's going to look beautiful. I'm yet to tap the hole for the fill cap, and the inlet/outlet pipe. I also need to explore if I want a level sight glass, was thinking of recycling the one off the original box. Here are some pictures,

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2315
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2316[url=https://servimg.com/view/19788995/124]BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2319
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2318[/url]

There Air intake system is really coming together, I made an o-ring for the Airbox-to-air sensor side which makes it a snug fit. I've also made a another adapter for the other side which gives me a rectangle to circle conversion so I can pop an Pod filter on (Picture below, I'll be test fitting it Friday). I've painted the Air sensor and will post pictures soon. But for now heres my new filter: (RC-8300)

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2321
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2320
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Screen11

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Well I think the filter looks great but it does stick out a bit too far so I think I'm going to push it in by 3-4cm.

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2323
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2322

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Just put a chunk of mesh stainless over the mouth of the MAF sensor to keep the birds and mice out.  It's not like this bike is going to get 10's of thousands of miles anymore.  Just don't go out in dust storms.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Just put a chunk of mesh stainless over the mouth of the MAF sensor to keep the birds and mice out.  It's not like this bike is going to get 10's of thousands of miles anymore.  Just don't go out in dust storms.
Yeah I'm gonna push it in 32mm see what it looks like and take it from there. A mesh would look quite nice can't lie, and your right it's probably going to spend most of its life inside.

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
So it may not look like it but I've taken the Pod Filter in as far as I can, about 32mm which is a significant amount. The whole system fits like a glove, however the bracket I've used to hold the air sensors in place has a tendency to pull the air sensor off the airbox. However this is very much solvable with added support in the bracket and making sure the bent angles are all accurate. Hopefully this will be sorted soon. Along with the mounting of the ABS unit and the Battery in the same space.

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2329
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2328
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2326

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Had to adjust the bracket due to it having alot of play, it would wobble around and flex so designed a support for it. Its not as solid as a brick and the perfect place to mount other things. Gave it a coat of paint and it looks lovely very happy with it. 

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2511
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2512
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_2510

However the 3D printed part I made was the source of a major air leak, so I topped up the silicon sealant where it met the air sensor and added two extra greased o-rings at the other end to ensure a tight secure fit. It meant now my bracket was forcing it into place and holding it firmly. 

New exhaust sounds amazing, very loud though and definitely not road legal but thats not a worry for me yet, the silencer only cost me £30. Induction noise is also amazing but can't be heard in the video very well:

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
It's truly heartwarming to see a kid of your years (and I don't mean that in any way disrespectfully) getting really stuck into a motorbike. Didn't realise you were that young, you're way way in front of where I was at that age.
I can say without any doubt that my best mates are all motorcyclists. No question.

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
chris846 wrote:It's truly heartwarming to see a kid of your years (and I don't mean that in any way disrespectfully) getting really stuck into a motorbike. Didn't realise you were that young, you're way way in front of where I was at that age.
I can say without any doubt that my best mates are all motorcyclists. No question.
Thank you so much I started this project when I was 16, I have been so lucky to even be able to do this project, the facilities at my school are incredible. Thats why I'm rushing at the moment because after A Levels I have to leave Sad. But I can't take all the credit, of course this forum has been a major help and an array of people who throw ideas in when I'm stuck. Hahah yeah my girlfriend always questions what I'm more interested in my bike or her  (o) .

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
"Hahah yeah my girlfriend always questions what I'm more interested in my bike or her"

That does change, after twenty or so years she'll accept (but not understand) that's it's a good deal for her that you'd rather spend time with motorbikes than other women.

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
....it's a good deal for her that you'd rather spend time with motorbikes than other women.

Chris I'll be sending my wife (of 23 yrs) to you so that you can confirm what she already knows in her heart.  Maybe use the 'BBC' tone when you talk to her and then it will be entirely indisputable.  If you could, also try to sell her on the idea that "money spent on BMW parts leaves one incapable of spending money on women".  Thanks brother, much appreciated.     BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 112350

DBRMN I went to a similarly well appointed high school but never left with anything remotely like what you've accomplished with your K project.  You've done well and you can take a lot of pride in what you have built.  Enjoy your time at university.

"Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all in this together."  Red Green

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
So its been a while but slowly easing back into working on the bike as exams are slowly drawing to a close, only got two left. 

Today I had quite a productive day, went from this:

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_3113
(please appreciate how good the lighting was lol)

To this:
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_3112

In the first picture you can see my coolant overflow tank mounted now it's time to start making it look good. So I've started to neaten it up, the main think is filling the recess. I know no one likes to see this much body filler but its a necessary evil and I don't mind it so its happening lol.

This is the first layer of body filler, I'm going to do a second layer some other time plus smoothing out the welds and and dents/holes. Make it look beautiful, then a lovely coat of paint so it hopefully won't be noticeable like the bracket I made earlier for the pod filter.

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_3114

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
So it's been a while but I'm back. Had two days on the bike so far so hears the update.

Day 1 I got the bike running again and had a amateur attempt at tuning it with the carbtuner I'd bought but couldn't really get anywhere. So decided to add a layer of filler to the coolant overflow tank and call it a day. You can hear in the video how badly it was idling.

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_4211

Day 2 I used the blue painted screws to bring all the throttle bodies closer together and then I fine tuned with the brass screws. This worked wonders. The idle is too high but sounds smooth and perfect with no stuttering. I also started sanding the coolant overflow tank and added some filler primer and a final coat of filler. I had to make a new brass cap as I've misplaced my old one. Didnt take very long though and I made it shallower for more clearance.

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_4213
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_4212

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Oh and a few pictures because why not. (I tidied the area under the seat to give more of that empty cafe racer look)

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_4217
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_4216
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_4214
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_4215

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Finally finished the coolant overflow tank and mounted it. Looks very nice and hardly noticeable so it fit my brief. Not the prettiest of things but I can always take it off and fill the imperfections and sand it again etc... but I'm happy at the moment with it.

The crack is from the filler, I put it in the oven to cure it but clearly that much filler didnt like it. The paint came out beautiful though and strong.

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_4610
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_4710

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Rode the bike for the first time today, was very spontaneous perhaps dangerous but oh well I survived. 

Only one word,

Incredible... absolutely incredible sounds rides beautifully. Test rode it on my old school grounds, with their permission.

One notes. Bike idles incredibly high at about 2000 rpm sometimes higher still, however the second the clutch is engaged it seems to act like a bike that idled nicely if that makes sense. For example you could be driving along and then dip the clutch to change gear and the revs would raise slightly without me touching the throttle. Definitely need to sort that out. Need to fit the speedo sensor otherwise officially i didnt go above 10mph. 

Other than that no issues so very happy, best day of 2019 easily.

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
“I love it when a plan comes together.”
Hannibal Smith, The A Team. (1980s, TV)

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Well, yon's good news. Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
Nice one

2000 Hayabusa with Charnwood chair, Wasp forks and EZS wheels.

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Best Christmas presents are the ones you buy yourself. Been wanting these forks for a long long time.

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_5211
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_5212
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_5210

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Some more goodies:

BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_5214
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_5213

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
After many moons I have finally been reunited with my motorbike... It is finally at home with me now so I now have full access 24/7.

First day decided to fit the rear sets I bought, they look so good. Tomorrow I'm going to go about searching for that air leak, hopefully the answer is obvious and just requires some replacement parts, fingers crossed.
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_5711
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_5712
BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_5710[url=https://servimg.com/view/19788995/166]BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Img_5713[/url]

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Hi guys, been a while

Thought I'd just update this post in case anyone is curious what's happened. Still at university so money and time have been scarce. Sadly the eventual goal is to save enough money to have the bike seen by a professional and finish off the build for me as I feel it has reached the limit of my ability mainly to do with the bike still struggling to idle and somehow getting worse (also hopefully a gsxr front end swap), especially leaving school my access to tools is non-existent. If anyone has any recommendations of people who work on custom k100s it about a 2 hour drive around London I'd love to hear them, as a review from someone on here is worth a million reviews elsewhere.

In the meantime I have since turned 21 and I hope to take my full license at some point.

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
DBRMN wrote:
In the meantime I have since turned 21 and I hope to take my full license at some point.
What does that mean? Is there a different age requirement  for riding a motorcycle in the UK?

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Shep wrote:
DBRMN wrote:
What does that mean? Is there a different age requirement  for riding a motorcycle in the UK?
Yeah, it goes up in level's of cc 16 = 50cc, 17 = 125cc, 19 = 35kW 21 = Unlimited (If held the previous license for 2 years)

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
He's missed three:

- Class A2 if you pass your test aged 21 or over and agree to a 39Kw restriction for the following two years
- CBT (compulsory basic training) which you have to do for any motorcycle licence
- Theory test to prove you can read the Highway Code

Get the wrong path and you need to pass 6 (!!!) tests to get a full-power motorcycle licence in the UK. How many for a car licence? Just two. Theory and one practical, then you can legally go out and drive an AMC Merc or similar. If looks could kill this post would be full of acid holes. There's a reason for the discrepancy and it's mostly down to a group of twats in the Department of Transport about thirty years ago who wanted to be seen to be doing something about the high accident rate with motorcycles. At the time, some 73% of the car/motorcycle accidents were the fault of the car driver, so those twats decided that they needed to 'educate' motorcyclists into being better riders by making it more difficult to get a licence.

Note that I emphasised 'rate'. Ignoring motorcycle/car accidents, the accident rate for cars was far, far higher than motorcycles, but all proposals to look at/do something about that accident rate were either turned down or ignored. Too many votes to lose, you see.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
Which is why I have supported MAG for 40 years. They have managed a number of significant anti bureaucracy wins over the years but they aren’t great at getting that message out if you’re not already a believer.

DBRMN I love what you’ve done so far.

2000 Hayabusa with Charnwood chair, Wasp forks and EZS wheels.

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Well put Dai, now days there's more hoops than a circus. Being realistic it will probably when I'm closer to 23 before I can ride my bike.

Also thank you so much tinyspuds.

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
tinyspuds wrote:Which is why I have supported MAG for 40 years. They have managed a number of significant anti bureaucracy wins over the years but they aren’t great at getting that message out if you’re not already a believer.
Well if you can get the MAG to win the road tax battle that would be great! 

I shake my head in woeful disbelief when I tax my car and bikes. Both do about the same mpg, but the car is 5.5x the weight, has 2x the road contact points (and a much bigger road contact area), its engine is 2x the size, it takes up about 5x the space…and it runs on the demon’s fuel (diesel)…yet the car road tax is ⅓ of the cost of the bikes’!

I have fond memories of the first MAG run I saw…way back when I was a teen at my local angling club waiting to go out for a spot of sea fishing. John Lennon’s ”Watching the Wheels” was playing on my tranny (in those days trannys were very different from todays!) as hundreds of bikes roared past protesting against wearing crash helmets. Sadly, later that day, one of the riders was killed - a car hit him and his lack of crash helmet didn’t improve his chances of surviving.

Anyway…good to get an update on the project DBRMN. Sorry to hear that she isn’t running quite right still.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

79Back to top Go down   BMW K100LT ABS Cafe Racer Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Update please Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:40 pm

The_Tick

The_Tick
DBRMN wrote:Well put Dai, now days there's more hoops than a circus. Being realistic it will probably when I'm closer to 23 before I can ride my bike.

Also thank you so much tinyspuds.
Hi DBRMN,

Great build looking to do something similar. Did you ever finish this K100?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum