BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Fur on my seat... Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
Hey guys,

I would like to put a fur on my seat and I was wondering how to procede (no, letting my wife sit on the seat is not the appropriate solution Fur on my seat... Icon_biggrin )...

What kind of fur do you use? Natural (might be smelly after getting wet, uh...)? How big does it have to be? How do you attach it and how do you stop it from moving around? Is that easily removable? Any other hints?

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/alotz/portfolio/

2Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:06 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Alex,
A lot of guys in the US swear by using sheepskin pads on their seats. My only concern would be what happens when it has been raining for a long time even natural wool will get saturated and take a long time to dry. The pads are held by ties under the seat and seem to stay in one place quite well.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
Yeah, that's the point. That's why I would like to have an easily removable pad. I thought of hook 'n' loop tape.

Artificial fur would have a huge advantage concerning rain, but I have no clue if it is any good compared to sheep...

4Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:37 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Sheepskin is definitely the go and I just have an off-cut I just throw on the seat and that is all I have ever done.

Tried a gel pad and the sheepskin wins hands down.

You can go the whole hog (sheep?) and have a kind of fitted cover but get a reasonable sized piece and try it and if necessary fit some elastic but it does not tend to move and I have not lost one yet.

5Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Alex, Check this site They test the different solutions to add comfort to your seat.
I have once tried the wooden beads and I was impressed by the added comfort.
I personally like riding with a pair of bicycle shorts (or my latest Icon shorts) The extra aerated padding delays the numb bum effect.
On the funny note, if you are concerned about the padding being wet, you could try to wear diapers like these one. It is funny, but I would be curious to see if it increases the comfort.
If the diapers don't work for you, why not trying a child booster seat?...... OK, I am going too far Laughing
Seriously, you might consider the bicycle shorts.

Bert

6Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
I'll try and get a picture of me naked on the bike, just a diaper and a sunflower hat Fur on my seat... Icon_flower

Fur on my seat... Lol

7Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:01 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Hey Alex, take your time. There's absolutely no rush! Fur on my seat... Icon_eek

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

8Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:17 pm

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
@Bert: Thanks for the link to that article. Very well written. I was thinking about putting the wooden beads and a shaggy pelt for the whole seat on top. I will try to find a way to get them within Germany or at least EU (at least in the UK that should be possible).

Thanks for your help guys...

9Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re : Fur on my seat... Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:12 pm

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Alex, I think you meant fluff in your original statement regarding a solution, and K Bike will always lean towards the sheepskin solution as the Kiwi's have an affinity towards sheep, he'll have to explain.
But seriously, I agree with Phil as I have a custom made sheepskin by a company in Queensland called Sheepy Hollow (I kid you not). It is an excellent product, but I think the line has been discontinued due to the work required (handmade), excellent product though.
They are on the web, just google Sheepy Hollow.

Cheers, Dennis

10Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:48 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
an alternative to commercial products is to try Ebay for pram sheepskin liners people discard after the progeny is old enough. I got mine for $20. The good thing is that it is usually treated, machine washable and big enough to do a whole seat. I just throw the skin over the seat and remove it whenever I need to do anything.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

11Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Alex,
Fur on my seat? I have curly hairs....sorry I could not resist it.

Ned,
Just ordered one from e-bay, thanks for that.
Ajays

AJAYS

12Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:00 pm

You might have a squiz at this site. I bought a pair of their LDC shorts in America a few years ago and while I would not wear them in Australia's extreme heat they do work well in most temperate climates. They are not 'padded' as such but are very comfortable in the bum-to-bike seat region over a long distance. They wash out and dry miraculously quickly too. They're Washington-state based. The little pouch in the front is most convenient but not coin-operated!

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

Fur on my seat... Ldc_sh10

13Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Highly Recommend this for a Solution Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:48 am

Roby

http://www.sheepyhollow.com/

Believe it or not I rode a Kawasaki VN250 from Melbourne to Darwin without one and suffered a very sore rse all the way (SARS). Purchased a generic cruiser cover from the above and used it the additional 2000 Ks to Broome from Darwin. Cant begin to tell you how much better it was. In fact I could barely manage 600 Ks per day before it (it was a 250cc!) and managed 1000 clicks per day after it. One of the best things I have ever bought.

Cheers Roby Very Happy

14Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:30 pm

Reddragon52

Sheep skin seat cover that would be bliss that would be bliss but I am welsh.

15Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
never mind Red Dragon...you can't help that........just kidding.
Ajays

AJAYS

16Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 pm

otto59

Silver member
Silver member
Too bad there's no Costco in the vaterland. Bought a complete lamb hide for $40. Enough fur for both my K100 seat and girlfriend's Sportster. No black, just very dark brown and tan/white. Very comfy.

17Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
I got a real dark brown one as well with reeeeaaally long shaggy hair. I'm really looking forward to put it on and try it out ...

18Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Alex, you are bearing an amazingly striking resemblance to The Big Lebowski, that cool 'Dude who can't abide!' Wink

19Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:41 pm

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
That rug really tied the room together.. Very Happy

20Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:09 am

wikur

wikur
Silver member
Silver member
I`ve had thoughts about cutting this up.

Fur on my seat... 001-2

Guess I`ll keep it as it is.
It will cover the whole saddle.
A two seater and comfy when camping.
Cheers, Wikur!

21Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:52 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
here is my solution. I throw it over and clip it in place with an alligator clip ... yes it is folded over for added comfort and because I didn't want to cut it.
Fur on my seat... DSC04564

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)

22Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:39 pm

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Does this count as "fur on my seat"??

Model in mini skirt and no knickers - say no more.

Bike is my old Guzzi Cafe racer in mock up - composite courtesy of Ajays.

Actually, come to think of it - the seat covering was Red suede !

Fur on my seat... 1266576479_resized

23Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:47 pm

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
Beachy, to be honest, I bet there is no fur!! Twisted Evil

24Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:53 am

Black hair and red leather? The exact opposite of Richard Thompson's favourites...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lCH5JgWCZY

25Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:41 am

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
Ned, are riding a Police Special there? I thought only the cops got the one seater and storage compartment.

26Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:51 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
No, the mystery related to my seat was solved by Bert and confirmed by the markets MOTOCO in Japan.
It is one of their sports specials which are no longer available for export out of Japan.
The full story is here:
http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/frame-fairing-and-wheels-f9/k100-sports-seat-t1261.htm
If you read from the beginning you will find that there is a sprinkling of these seats around the world, but no one could tell me who and where it was made.
As I said Bert stepped in with a reference to MOTOCO Japan. I emailed them and they confirmed the origin.
So, no it is not a Police seat, it is a single sorts with HUGE storage compartment.

27Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:08 am

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
You lucky buggar, that is one smart looking piece. Considering how rarely I carry a passenger that would be perfect for me. Do you know if any of those seats made it to N/A?
Seems funny that info on something that was made such a short time ago has already been lost.

28Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:17 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Here is all that i know about it:

Dear Ned,

I saw the picture.
This is our original single-seat for K100.
But, the cushion is not original.
Maybe, the some user modified it by himself.

We made it about 20 years ago and have been sold it until today.
We still sell it in Japan. (regretfully, we do not export it)

http://www.motoco.co.jp/
http://www.motoco.co.jp/MOTOCO%20ORIGINAL/seat.htm

Best regards,

Takatoyo MOTOHASHI
MOTOCO CO.LTD.

Now I am aware of three seats. One in UK, mine and one that was sold on fleebay.
I must ask Takatoyo if I can get some decals or something to put on it for posterity.

29Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:16 pm

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
Ned wrote:...
As I said Bert stepped in with a reference to MOTOCO Japan. I emailed them and they confirmed the origin.

My name is not Bert Rolling Eyes lol!

30Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Smile ok, ok, my mistake, you don't even look like him Smile

31Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:12 pm

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
That's because I shave myself
Fur on my seat... 208

32Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:19 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Ned wrote:Smile ok, ok, my mistake, you don't even look like him Smile

Nop! Even if you can find a slight resemblance I don't think we belong to the same family of amphibians.

Fur on my seat... Frog110 Fur on my seat... 568-1310

33Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
After looking at you two, this Marsupial feels rather special.

Fur on my seat... Big-red-kangaroo

34Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:32 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
It is nice to see the face behind the postings..makes it more friendly.
I think horns on Alex helmet would be fitting.
Nice bit of pasting Bert.
Ajays

AJAYS

35Back to top Go down   Fur on my seat... Empty Re: Fur on my seat... Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
lol!

Guys, you just made my day...

BTW: Amphibic rodents are totally illegal in this state 🐰

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum