BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Front master cylinder cover leaking Empty Front master cylinder cover leaking Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:38 am

KiwiK100

KiwiK100
Gold member
Gold member
Road tested the K1 recently paying particular attention to braking and ABS functions. Tucked her up at the end of the ride feeling satisfied all is well however today I noticed a pooling of brake fluid sitting on top of one of the master cylinder cover fixing screws, and given the angle of the MC, it is the lowest screw that is the culprit. %&*#. It is the front R/H screw viewed when sitting on the bike. Two of the fixing holes in the cover have very small grooves and matching bumps in the rubber boot but they are not leaking. Is the rubber boot the likely cause? Another possibility might be that the top surface of the MC (that the cover screws down on to with the rubber boot sandwiched in-between) has a very small amount of corrosion on it that could theoretically allow brake fluid to pass between it and the rubber boot. Having mentioned this, I can't see this being the cause as the corrosion is more a discolouration of the alloy and no discernible pitting can be felt.  Are the boots a wear item? Figure I'll add a new boot to my order but thought best to ask the question.
Any help appreciated.

1984 K100RS. Madison silver.
2002 K1200RS. Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins, Speiglers, Fiamms, HID. 186,000km SOLD Crying or Very sad
1991 K1. Schwartz metallic black, 18 month frame off restoration. 74,000km SOLD Crying or Very sad
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD Crying or Very sad
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Grandads ride

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member
I have never seen one leak here, but if the rubber boot was worn/old it might let fluid past.

I have however seen lots of leaks from the piston so always cover your nice new paint work.

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 60K Km     ;BMW;  K1100RS Black 1996       ;BMW; K1 Blue 1990 25K Miles

KiwiK100

KiwiK100
Gold member
Gold member
Cheers mate, the piston has a new kit in it so no problems there. I have ordered a new rubber boot for the MC so hopefully that cures my woes. I am sick of repainting it every time it leaks and the brake fluid gets under the paint Sad

1984 K100RS. Madison silver.
2002 K1200RS. Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins, Speiglers, Fiamms, HID. 186,000km SOLD Crying or Very sad
1991 K1. Schwartz metallic black, 18 month frame off restoration. 74,000km SOLD Crying or Very sad
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD Crying or Very sad
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Grandads ride

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum