BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   White smoke-nowhere near the vatican Empty White smoke-nowhere near the vatican Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:40 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hello everyone, after 12 months of diddling around and an ultra sonic injector clean, my 86 RT has fired into life, running smooth and sounding
great. Except for the white smoke. I had to completely fill the oil as was almost totally dry, and intend to drain and clean the sump next, but was a bit worried by the smoke and what happened to the new oil I put in. Seems to be turning white on the dipstick, which I guess is water coming from somewhere devious.
I'm thinking of draining and cleaning everything then refilling to see what happens, but should I be checking anything else as well ( please don't say water pump seal). I am not able to ride it yet, brakes and high beam to fix up. Also the red triangle light on the dash is constantly on, what does that mean? German for you bought a lemon I suspect.
Cheers.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
If your brakes are not working, this is the reason for the red triangle. The red triangle tells you that your tail light or brake light is not working. In order to have it off, you have to apply both brakes once.

For the cream over your oil, it depends how much you get.
During the cold season, if I don't use my bike for a while, the condensation into the cranckcase will create a very thin coat of of creamy oil (less than 1 mm).
When the engine warms up, it disappears.
If you had started your engine (many times) without running it to full temperature, this may be the reason. If you get more than 1 mm or it happens all the times, I guess you should look at your oil pump seals.

White smoke means that there is some steam mixed with the exhaust gas. It could also be a problem with your head gasket.

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for that
I'm a bit more at ease. Brakes being done today, then I can zip around a bit. The film seems to be very thin, but I will be changing oil filter and cleaning it all out next before major travel. This is fun,
I've managed to move all along the line from fuel pump to exhaust
now, but the best thing was when it started up.

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
As Bert says, the red light will go out when both brakes are applied....but if it doesn't then you can bet it is the switch on the front lever, or the rear switch. On the 85 model the switch is the same both front and rear. Later the rear switch is different altogether.
www.motobins.co.uk or sales@motobins.co.uk (e-mail) Part No;75230. £9.98 GBP
Ajays

AJAYS

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Tks Ajays more trouble. Seems I cannot get pressure in front brake lines even though fluid is squeezing through. Have to check master, have new piston in place. Also white smoke has become black smoke so I assume I'm running rich
haven't figured out how to amend that yet. (I didn't hear that the Pope had died so must be my bike's problem).Appreciate everyone's help
RT.

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Front brake bleeding.
Leave on propstand overnight with the steering turned allowing the reservior uppermost and the cover off. This will let the air filter to the top. Next morning you should have no problem.
I am off for a week to Scotland so will follow your progress on return.
Ajays.
My name is Grant yours Robertson. two highland clan names....!

AJAYS

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
In addition to the above; pull the brake and fix it with a tiewrap or similar overnight. Next morning it should be OK after the first few squeezes.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland White smoke-nowhere near the vatican Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
thanks, tomorrows job, as well have exhaust leak at join of header to pipe aaaarrrgh does this never end. Cheers everyone, nice trip ajays. I am Bob from clan Lamont, so hate forking out cash.

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
RT wrote: aaaarrrgh does this never end.

It is a motorcycle and an older one at that so no. Very Happy But isn't that part of the fun??

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Too right phil-mars, in fact am already planning the next one. Middle of July and I managed to get 60 klm in yesterday on another bike. No ice this week so couldn't help myself.
RT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum