BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:01 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Hey guys I've been trying to refit my triple tree clamp but fear it is not seated properly as when I attempt to fit the upper triple clamp is doesn't become flush with the top of the steering stem as shown in the pictures. I can't remember what it looked like when I took it off as its been ages, Is it seated properly? if not what have I done wrong. There is a tiny gap at the bottom also shown in the pictures.

Refitting Triple Tree Clamp P1020110
Refitting Triple Tree Clamp P1020111
Refitting Triple Tree Clamp P1020113
Refitting Triple Tree Clamp P1020112

Thanks,
DBRMN

2Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Ohts

Ohts
Throw the bearings in the freezer for 30 minutes.  The fit should be very easy after contraction.  I just assembled last fall.

I believe both bearings are tapered?

3Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:32 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Ohts wrote:Throw the bearings in the freezer for 30 minutes.  The fit should be very easy after contraction.  I just assembled last fall.

I believe both bearings are tapered?

That might be hard don't really have a freezer near by, is there another way to cool them?

Also just looking at the pictures do you think it's fully seated as I feel it might be because if the steering stem was flush with the top triple clamp then there would be no room to tighten the top nut as it would just compress the steering stem if you know what I mean?

Thanks
DBRMN

4Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
That's not right. The picture showing the upper bearing race proud of the steering frame member looks wrong. Did you replace the bearings as part of the work you're doing on the bike? I I know there is supposed to be a lot more of the steering stem visible above the top of the bearing. The upper triple tree is not seated low enough.

5Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:46 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Remove the inner race, then have a look to see if the outer race is sat square on the lip in the steering headstock. When fitting the outer race as you tap it home there will be a distinctive 'ring' as it bottoms out. 

Perhaps some freezer spray would work if you can't get the outer race to a freezer.

Mike

6Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:51 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
If the captured part of the bearing is proud of its seat, you could find a piece of PVC pipe that was the same diameter and carefully hammer it down until seated.

7Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:14 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
robmack wrote:That's not right.  The picture showing the upper bearing race proud of the steering frame member looks wrong.  Did you replace the bearings as part of the work you're doing on the bike?  I  I know there is supposed to be a lot more of the steering stem visible above the top of the bearing.  The upper triple tree is not seated low enough.
I'm not replacing the bearings so I'm not sure whats stopping it

8Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:15 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
robmack wrote:If the captured part of the bearing is proud of its seat, you could find a piece of PVC pipe that was the same diameter and carefully hammer it down until seated.
I used a appropriate sized socket to tap the bearing into place but it went a bit then would not budge so I became scared of bending it or hitting it too hard.

9Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:17 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
mike d wrote:Remove the inner race, then have a look to see if the outer race is sat square on the lip in the steering headstock. When fitting the outer race as you tap it home there will be a distinctive 'ring' as it bottoms out. 

Perhaps some freezer spray would work if you can't get the outer race to a freezer.

Mike
ye perhaps i need to check the inner race. Freezer spray sounds gd

10Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:13 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
DBRMN wrote:
robmack wrote:If the captured part of the bearing is proud of its seat, you could find a piece of PVC pipe that was the same diameter and carefully hammer it down until seated.
I used a appropriate sized socket to tap the bearing into place but it went a bit then would not budge so I became scared of bending it or hitting it too hard.

If you didn't tap it in square then the outer race will jam before it is fully home. if the bike is still like in the photo, then it will only take a few minutes to remove the inner race and have a look at how deep the outer race is in the headstock.

Mike

11Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
The projection of the stem through the top race doesn't look too bad. If you haven't removed the outer races from the steering head, then there should be no issue with seating. If you tighten down the big knurled cap/nut by hand (before you fit the top yoke), then you should be able to feel how the yokes turn, and rock them to check for any play that would indicate the inner races not nipping up enough on the outers. Sometimes you can get a bit of roughness on the stem that prevents the top inner race sliding down it smoothly but, again, the check is too see if the steering can stiffen up as you overtighten the knurled cap (just a bit!)

12Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Other bikes seem to have a better way of fixing the top yoke - I always wonder if the act of tightening the top yoke centre retaining nut (or should I call it a bolt) causes the top yoke to twist a bit. I now check the fork legs (the stanchions, if I have the sliders off) for skew by holding a piece of plate glass against them - lo and behold, I find I have to apply a counter torque to them as I am tightening the top yoke retaining nut...bolt...thing. This could just be wear in my yokes though, they are decades old and have been off and on countless times. No need to panic.

13Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Did you remove the outer race of the old bearing before installing the new one?

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

14Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:41 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
mike d wrote:
DBRMN wrote:

If you didn't tap it in square then the outer race will jam before it is fully home. if the bike is still like in the photo, then it will only take a few minutes to remove the inner race and have a look at how deep the outer race is in the headstock.

Mike
There that might be a possibility but I think it was square as there are no obvious signs that its seated at an angle of something.

15Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:49 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
chris846 wrote:The projection of the stem through the top race doesn't look too bad. If you haven't removed the outer races from the steering head, then there should be no issue with seating. If you tighten down the big knurled cap/nut by hand (before you fit the top yoke), then you should be able to feel how the yokes turn, and rock them to check for any play that would indicate the inner races not nipping up enough on the outers. Sometimes you can get a bit of roughness on the stem that prevents the top inner race sliding down it smoothly but, again, the check is too see if the steering can stiffen up as you overtighten the knurled cap (just a bit!)
Ye I've tried assembling it with the right torque set to the top nut and it feels sturdy and smooth so my guess is that its probably alright, but with such a key structural element to the bike I think I need more than 'probably alright' to quote myself.

16Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:49 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
chris846 wrote:Other bikes seem to have a better way of fixing the top yoke - I always wonder if the act of tightening the top yoke centre retaining nut (or should I call it a bolt) causes the top yoke to twist a bit. I now check the fork legs (the stanchions, if I have the sliders off) for skew by holding a piece of plate glass against them - lo and behold, I find I have to apply a counter torque to them as I am tightening the top yoke retaining nut...bolt...thing. This could just be wear in my yokes though, they are decades old and have been off and on countless times. No need to panic.
So what order would  recommend assembling the front end?

17Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:50 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:Did you remove the outer race of the old bearing before installing the new one?
I'm didn't remove the outer race nor did I use a new bearing I'm just using the same bearings.

18Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:25 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
"I think I need more than 'probably alright' to quote myself."

Hey, I've been working with 'Maybe Alright' and 'Hopefully Alright' for years. 
'Probably Alright' is an aspiration, way out of my league.

Seriously, if you haven't removed the outer races, and you can tighten the knurled nut to the point where the movement of the yokes feels stiff, but smooth, things look okay. Back off the knurled nut a touch and you should get free movement, but with no play. I like to set it just a little bit 'heavy' i.e. just tight enough to stop the yokes flopping from side to side under their own weight. There'll be a proper torque figure, but when you're working with worn-in bearings it's usually just as good to do it by feel.

From memory the knurled nut should go on pretty much 'all the way' i.e. full thread on the stem. If you've got this you're good to go.

As regards any skew when it's all tightened up, the best check is always to bounce the forks and feel for stiction. There'll always be some, but you shouldn't have much more than 10-15mm difference in exposed stanchion whether you bounce the fork 'down then up' or 'up then down'. When you're at this stage, that's when you can also stick the front brake on and try and push the bike forward to check for play in the bearings - to see whether you've tightened that knurled nut up enough.

Hope this helps, you can probably guess this is just based on my own 'always-room-to-learn' way of doing things, I'll always defer to anyone who can quote the 'correct' way to do stuff.

19Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:59 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
DBRMN wrote:

I'm a little confused.

In the above you said you used a socket to tap then bearing into place. Then in your last post you said you hadn't removed the outer race. Are you saying you used the socket to tap in the inner race?

Mike

20Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Hope this helps:

Refitting Triple Tree Clamp 00413

This is my K100 (so no actual guarantee that it's assembled properly - at all!)
The stem is around 3.5mm below the yoke, and the nut/bolt/thingy takes around 3.75 turns to tighten down - about the same as yours I'd guess.

21Back to top Go down   Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Empty Re: Refitting Triple Tree Clamp Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:49 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
chris846 wrote:Hope this helps:

Refitting Triple Tree Clamp 00413

This is my K100 (so no actual guarantee that it's assembled properly - at all!)
The stem is around 3.5mm below the yoke, and the nut/bolt/thingy takes around 3.75 turns to tighten down - about the same as yours I'd guess.
Thats exactly what I was looking for thank you! That makes me feel much better about mine. I fitted the whole front end today I'll attach pictures soon!!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum