BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

johny brando

johny brando
Hi guys, I'm new here ...so please be gentle with me !   I the other day, prior to me being allowed to join in with Class , I read ( & cannot now find the post ?? ddrrr )  someone's reply about Brake fluid Micro -Bubble venting via the Master Cylinder by quick & successive continued tapping of the lever . Well, I was very interested but a little sceptical about this . I have, for some time now been wrestling with a spongy front brake lever on my Kawasaki Z1 & I have since ...in an attempt to rectify this ( ...to no avail ) by fitting new.......Stainless Steel Caliper pistons , new piston seals & boots, new S/steel brake line throughout, all new copper crush washers, 2 good quality master cylinder rebuild kits ( I thought I might had nipped one seal when fitting it...but I turned out that I didn't, though ! ) but no matter what I did I still had too much Lever travel !!! I even back bled the brakes up from the bleed nipples & ensured every part of the brake components  had a means to release & vent trapped air during each bleeding process... cable tied the lever in a compressed state for days...but no matter how hard I tried the lever would within 48 hours returned to a state where it had too much travel !!!!!!! 
      Well, after reading a reply from someone here on the K100 forum about ensuring the Master cylinder is to be orientated to have its downstream vent hole positioned to be at the  most elevated position possible... then to start the  lever Tapping method to shift tiny trapped micro - bubbles I was inspired to rush to my workshop & give it a go !!!! After about 2 minutes of feverously  tapping the lever so it bounced quickly in & out in about 10mm strokes well ..............micro bubbles started to appear, YAHOO !!! I continued until my arm nearly fell off & a lot of air in the form of tiny micro bubble exited .......i was dumbfounded by this absolutely BRILLIANT technique that you had introduced me to. My Lever was now feeling excellent  . Prior to this event... I could not believe that much air could possibly still be lurking in my front brake system ! I DO NOT RECALL OR KNOW WHO YOU ARE THAT I SHOULD BE THANKING....  BUT SINCERELY, YOU'RE A LEGEND  & I'M HUMBLY IN YOUR DEBT !   This is an Old Dog that's learn't a new trick....Woof  Woof .
            This was one of the driving factors for me to join this forum...........to say thank you for that !   Cheers,  JohnyBrando Big thumb

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
johny brando wrote:
            This was one of the driving factors for me to join this forum...........to say thank you for that !   Cheers,  JohnyBrando Big thumb
Is this who you want to thank, Johny?

johny brando

johny brando
Laitch wrote:
johny brando wrote:
Is this who you want to thank, Johny?
I don't know ???? I spent about an hour looking & I couldn't find the origin of the post again, so I then gave up & wrote and posted that deserved thank you .Hopefully he will see it. Cheers.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
I'm sure Tom will catch this

he's a really nice guy , in every respect , and so glad I can call him a friend

Tom lives in the hunter region and is often found venturing out on ride events with many of the east coast aussie members in here

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
he's a really nice guy , in every respect , and so glad I can call him a friend.

I could agree more.

I believe his K pox has flared up again.

R1200GS
650 Vstrom

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
G'day All, Probably had a different user name back then. That bleeding system has been tried on a couple of bikes and works well.
Yes, the dreaded K pox has struck again. Just about impossible to shake.
Nice intro there. Very interesting. Hope to catch up some time.
Thanks for those kindly words Waz.
Cheers
Tom

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Waz wrote:I believe his K pox has flared up again.
Oh No whats the ol bugger gone and done this time Newbie wants to say thank you to someone out there! 652573

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   Newbie wants to say thank you to someone out there! Empty Thank you Tom FR Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:38 am

johny brando

johny brando
Tom FR wrote:G'day All, Probably had a different user name back then. That bleeding system has been tried on a couple of bikes and works well.
Yes, the dreaded K pox has struck again. Just about impossible to shake.
Nice intro there. Very interesting. Hope to catch up some time.
Cheers
Tom

Hello Tom..... without wanting repeat the whole 9 yards again & bore all s#$%e less.........THANK YOU VERY MUCH INDEED !  I learnt a great lesson from you there & I luv learning things like that too ! Forums can be great source of both knowledge & frustration, we just have pick the Wheat from the Chaff aye. Nice making your acquaintance mate.  All the best & safe riding , Lee.  aka-  Johny Brando

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member

I stole them from Charlie

R1200GS
650 Vstrom

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
I too have prospered from Toms kind advice . 
On awaking on the Sunday morn from our run up Mt Kaputar , my front brake had no pressure at all .
A quick trip to the servo with the krew to fill up , and purchase a large bottle of Dot 4 , I followed Toms previous instructions. 
Tilt the bars to the left , which helps level the resevoir , top up the master, and proceed with tapping the lever. All done in less than 1/2 hour . 
no problems since . 
Good to hear it all went well for you Johny Brando .

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Newbie wants to say thank you to someone out there! 10_x_110

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
johny brando wrote:Hi guys, I'm new here ...so please be gentle with me... I have, for some time now been wrestling with a spongey front brake lever on my Kawasaki Z1... YOU'RE A LEGEND  & I'M HUMBLY IN YOUR DEBT !   This is an Old Dog thats learn't a new trick....Woof  Woof .
  JohnyBrando Big thumb
Hey JohnyBrando...there is only one way you can repay this debt. Keep the Z1 for police-free road rides (won't be many of them) or race days and buy yourself a K100 as well (or if you prefer a K1, K75, K1100 or, if you must, a K1200). 

You live in a cracking part of the world and have a truly fabulous Krew within a few hours ride of you (in most directions). Tom is just one of a talented and really sociable krew and, in my experience, is just typical of the forum members down in that part of the world (this is not a slight on Tom - quite the opposite - there seems to be almost no lengths these guys won't go to in order to help out a mate in need). I had the pleasure of meeting the about 20 of the krew a couple of years back (including Rick G & Marge and Tackler, who travelled down from Queensland for a meet up). I was blown away by all their camaraderie and generosity.

Come on, you know you want to...

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

johny brando

johny brando
Ed wrote:I too have prospered from Toms kind advice . 
On awaking on the Sunday morn from our run up Mt Kaputar , my front brake had no pressure at all .
A quick trip to the servo with the krew to fill up , and purchase a large bottle of Dot 4 , I followed Toms previous instructions. 
Tilt the bars to the left , which helps level the resevoir , top up the master, and proceed with tapping the lever. All done in less than 1/2 hour . 
no problems since . 
Good to hear it all went well for you Johny Brando .

Cheers Ed.

johny brando

johny brando
Born Again Eccentric wrote:
johny brando wrote:Hi guys, I'm new here ...so please be gentle with me... I have, for some time now been wrestling with a spongey front brake lever on my Kawasaki Z1... YOU'RE A LEGEND  & I'M HUMBLY IN YOUR DEBT !   This is an Old Dog thats learn't a new trick....Woof  Woof .
  JohnyBrando Big thumb
Hey JohnyBrando...there is only one way you can repay this debt. Keep the Z1 for police-free road rides (won't be many of them) or race days and buy yourself a K100 as well (or if you prefer a K1, K75, K1100 or, if you must, a K1200). 

You live in a cracking part of the world and have a truly fabulous Krew within a few hours ride of you (in most directions). Tom is just one of a talented and really sociable krew and, in my experience, is just typical of the forum members down in that part of the world (this is not a slight on Tom - quite the opposite - there seems to be almost no lengths these guys won't go to in order to help out a mate in need). I had the pleasure of meeting the about 20 of the krew a couple of years back (including Rick G & Marge and Tackler, who travelled down from Queensland for a meet up). I was blown away by all their camaraderie and generosity.

Come on, you know you want to...

Thanks for the reply ...I think you have misread my intro ! I already have a K100 & I have owned it since 1986 . For serious habitual speeding I choose my Speed Triple my Z1 i've owned since 1978 it's an amazing bike and whilst it looks std it's far from it.....having said that whilst it was unquestionably the weapon of choice in the 70's & my one still can still hold it's own @ 43 years old...... but in a point to point charge though- the Speed Triple would flog it to death ! ...thats modern technology for you  aye. My brick is the brick a highly dependable brilliantly engineered motorcycle with all the character of Clement Froid . I keep it because it is the most dependable & reliable motor cycle that I have ever owned !  Take care.

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
Guys I have exactly the same problem with the front MC. No leaks but I have no pressure.  So, just to clarify, as I understand it the procedure is as simple as this:

-Turn bars to left to a) lever reservoir, b) reservoir exit hole is in most downward position
-open reservoir cap
-tap lever in and out to release air from system

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks guys

Paul

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
In a way yes, but you're missing two important steps. Actually one, but it involves two things :-) You need to make sure that both the holes in the bottom of the reservoir are open. The big one is clearly visible (if the liquid is still good) the second one is just in front of it. If they are both confirmed open it is basically putting pressure on the system overnight with the steering over to the left. This will make the reservoir the highest point. If you then keep pressure on the brake (pull the handle in and fit a piece of rope or whatever to keep it 'pulled') normally whatever air is in there will 'float up'. Reason for the pressure is that the air bubbles will be smaller and therefore will be easier to come up. Next morning you release the grip and slowly pump it a few times full on and you should see the bubbles coming up every time you release the brake. Hope it all makes sense, otherwise just ask.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Newbie wants to say thank you to someone out there! Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
Thank you man, yes both holes were clear, litetally as soon as I turned to tje left and pumped a lot of air escaped and it firmed right up.....I have now cable tied the brake overnight!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum