BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:05 pm

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
Guys I am just about to wire in a Motogadget Speedo. I have the manual which shows me what wire colours correspond to what instrument BUT they are sooo small on the manual I can barely see them,  I don't suppose anyone could help point me in the correct direction....please!!

2Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:43 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Check my blog on my K75 retro build.  I used a Motogadget Classic gauge and detailed all the wiring for that model.  You're not specific as to which model of Motogadet you bought, so it's going to be challenging to give sound advice to you.

http://k75retro.blogspot.ca

3Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Go to their website. Here is a page that is an example. Click on one of the instruments. On the page that follows click on Downloads.

4Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:57 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Example of a page Laitch is referring to https://motogadget.com/shop/en/motoscope-mini.html?tab=downloads, I've just recently wired up one myself if you need help.

5Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:20 am

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
Excellent thanks guys, it is a Motogadget "Tiny".

Sure I will need help so thank you....

6Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:48 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
I'd be interested to see how you mount the speed sensor as I haven't done that yet only revs.

7Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:59 am

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
What I really need to know is what the harness wire colours refer to, ie what they are for. Robmack are the k75 the same as the k100, if so I can use your guide...….

8Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:32 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@kustom_moto wrote:Guys I am just about to wire in a Motogadget Speedo. I have the manual which shows me what wire colours correspond to what instrument . . .
You are referring a K100 workshop manual, not the Motogadget Speedo manual, aren't you? If it is a 2V K100 model, here is one from the forum's Tech Page.

Which year is your bike? You should put its year and model in your Profile so it will show up in each of your posts because it's difficult to understand which type of bike you are discussing in this thread.

Last edited by Laitch on Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

9Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:47 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Here's a wiring chart. Read each line as "Motogadget wire colour", "function", = "K100 wire colour" on "K100 instrument connector pin #".

• brown "switched 12V" = Green/black on pin 6
  • black "ground" = brown on pin 13
  • red "continuous 12V" = red/white pin 1
  • orange "Speed sensor" = see note 1
  • green "menu button" = see note 2
  • blue "high beam" = white on pin 15
  • white "neutral" = see note 3
  • purple "warn indicator" = see note 4
  • yellow "turn signal" = see note 5

Note 1 – need a conditioned signal that can be provided in three ways ; MaruLabs BEP 3.0, Motogadget speed sensor or TGPI v5.2

Note 2 – user-supplied momentary contact button, one side grounded

Note 3 – need a programmed neutral signal that can be provided in three ways ; MaruLabs BEP 3.0, 4-relay neutral detect or TGPI v5.2

Note 4 – connect any active LOW signal to this input.  Possible candidates are over-temp, low fuel, oil pressure, bmu or choke

Note 5 – need a single turn signal that indicates either right or left.  This can be supplied by MaruLabs BEP 3.0 or using the circuit found in the Motogadgets manual, section 15.2 on page 10.  Input would be left (blue/black pin 17) and right (blue/red pin 19). The Tiny manual is available at https://motogadget.com/shop/media/downloads/manual/mst_manual_en_2.6.pdf

10Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 pm

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
Robmack, thank you, that will get me going. Note 3, Neutral Detect, tell me more! Is the stock neutral wire not compatible?

What is the best way to deal with unused wires from the harness to cap them off? Heatshrink over?

Profile sig should be wofking now

Laitch, yes I was refering to the wofkshop manual.....

Thanks Guys......may crack open a beer now and start tomorrow!

Instagram K100 Build follow me at: @kustom_moto

11Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:55 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
The 4-relay circuit looks like this:

Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Sjema12

The circuit above should work in the following way.

Bike in Gear
If any gear is selected on the transmission, the TGPI switch will have one or more wires open circuit.  In this state, one or more relays 1, 2 or 3 will not be engaged.  Therefore the output on relay #3 to the Black/Green wire will be off and the start circuit will not work.  At the same time, Relay #4 receive no power on its coil and it is disengaged as well.  The Neutral light is open circuit in this state; no current can flow through Relay #4 contact to ground.  The Neutral light should be off.

Bike in Neutral
When the bike is in neutral, all three wires from the TGPI switch are grounded; relays 1, 2 and 3 are all engaged and +12V is delivered to Black/Green wire and Relay 4's coil.  The bike can start without the clutch pulled in because +12V is now applied to the start circuit.  Relay 4 is engaged because power is applied to its coil.  Current can now flow through Relay $ contacts to ground and the Neutral light will turn on.

This circuit ASSUMES the neutral light in the speedo is an LED and had one side connected internally to +12V, just like in the Motogadget Tiny.

I build and sell a complete board that does the above 4-relay circuit if you feel electronically challenged:

https://www.k100-forum.com/t8674-aftermarket-gear-indicator-neutral-indicator-board-3-circuit-fuse-block

Best way to handle unused wires is to leave them intact in the OEM instrument plug.  They remain safe and sound there.

12Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:33 pm

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
DBRMN wrote:I'd be interested to see how you mount the speed sensor as I haven't done that yet only revs.

I can already see this being an issue.. :-(

13Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:52 pm

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
How is the tacho connected please?

14Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:34 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
@kustom_moto wrote:How is the tacho connected please?
Rev signal comes from Pin 16: 
Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Instru10

15Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@kustom_moto wrote:How is the tacho connected please?
Your Tiny doesn't have a tachometer; it does have a clock though. cheers

16Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:08 pm

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
He he, at least ill know the time!! 

Robmack, I have a friend who is a wiz with electronics, is this  something that can easily be built or is the easiest way to just buy it through you?

17Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:40 pm

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
Fabricated a bracket for the pick up sensor.....

Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Oi000110

18Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:16 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
@kustom_moto wrote:He he, at least ill know the time!! 

Robmack, I have a friend who is a wiz with electronics, is this  something that can easily be built or is the easiest way to just buy it through you?
Either way. It is something that any electronics person can figure out. My board is plug and play, as small as you can make it using reliable components and I'm asking almost only the price for the parts I use ($21.00 plus shipping). PM me if you are interested.

19Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:15 am

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
robmack wrote:Here's a wiring chart.  Read each line as "Motogadget wire colour", "function", = "K100 wire colour" on "K100 instrument connector pin #".

• brown "switched 12V" = Green/black on pin 6
  • black "ground" = brown on pin 13
  • red "continuous 12V" = red/white pin 1
  • orange "Speed sensor" = see note 1
  • green "menu button" = see note 2
  • blue "high beam" = white on pin 15
  • white "neutral" = see note 3
  • purple "warn indicator" = see note 4
  • yellow "turn signal" = see note 5

Note 1 – need a conditioned signal that can be provided in three ways ; MaruLabs BEP 3.0, Motogadget speed sensor or TGPI v5.2

Note 2 – user-supplied momentary contact button, one side grounded

Note 3 – need a programmed neutral signal that can be provided in three ways ; MaruLabs BEP 3.0, 4-relay neutral detect or TGPI v5.2

Note 4 – connect any active LOW signal to this input.  Possible candidates are over-temp, low fuel, oil pressure, bmu or choke

Note 5 – need a single turn signal that indicates either right or left.  This can be supplied by MaruLabs BEP 3.0 or using the circuit found in the Motogadgets manual, section 15.2 on page 10.  Input would be left (blue/black pin 17) and right (blue/red pin 19). The Tiny manual is available at https://motogadget.com/shop/media/downloads/manual/mst_manual_en_2.6.pdf

Thank you so much for this info, totally invaluable! Just fully wired it in. I think I will just ask my friend to make me a Neutral detect relay as I need it quickly and he likes making stuff like that! Shall I just pass him the above diagram? Is that ok?

20Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:56 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

21Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:47 pm

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
Thnk you all. Just ordered what I need form Robmack...

Thanks guys!

22Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:36 pm

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
Guys one thing, when calculating the circumference of the fromt wheel for the Motogadget,  is it of the of the outer or inner edge of the tyre? The manual is somewhat misleading!

Thank you

23Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:50 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
@kustom_moto wrote:Guys one thing, when calculating the circumference of the fromt wheel for the Motogadget,  is it of the of the outer or inner edge of the tyre? The manual is somewhat misleading!

Thank you
The rolling radius, which is, effectively, the total outside dimension.

1977 R75/7-100, '93 K11/K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100 Mystic, '96 K1100RS, 2 x '98 K1200RS, '06 K1200R & '09 K1300GT. Projects: 1993 & '96 K1100RS, & one '98 K1200RS. The R100 Mystic, K11/12 Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K1200R & K1300GT are running, rego'd & ridable.

24Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:09 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
@kustom_moto wrote:Guys one thing, when calculating the circumference of the fromt wheel for the Motogadget,  is it of the of the outer or inner edge of the tyre? The manual is somewhat misleading!

Thank you
If you wouldn't mind writing a detail account of you experience with fitting the Motogadget speed sensor as this a project I'm doing in the coming weeks.

Thanks
DBRMN

25Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:29 am

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
Take a look at post #17, just copy this bracket and run the cable up throuh the bottom yoke. For the button I made this bracket:

Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Oi000111

26Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:30 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@kustom_moto wrote:Guys one thing, when calculating the circumference of the from wheel for the Motogadget,  is it of the of the outer or inner edge of the tyre?
On the Downloads page of the Motoscope Tiny there is this table showing the circumference in millimeters for wheels of certain diameters with tires of specific sizes. Did you review that table and can you explain how it misleads? Do you not have a tire in one of those sizes?

I'm confused about your sensor mounting position. From the drawing in instruction #1 on the first page of this document, it seems to me the wheel speed sensor and pickup locations involve the disc rim, not the disc itself. Also, is the mount you have fabricated unlikely to vibrate? See instruction #3 in the same document.

I admit to being drawn into considering one of these instruments despite my being satisfied with what I've got. scratch Laughing

Last edited by Laitch on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

27Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:31 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Hope that switch is waterproof to IP66... If it isn't, it will turn into a tube of non-working rusty parts very quickly.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

28Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:51 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Dai, those Hall sensor switches are manufactured out of stainless steel and the electronics are encased in potting material up to IP 67.

29Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:59 am

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
Laitch wrote:
@kustom_moto wrote:Guys one thing, when calculating the circumference of the from wheel for the Motogadget,  is it of the of the outer or inner edge of the tyre?
On the Downloads page of the Motoscope Tiny there is this table showing the circumference in millimeters for wheels of certain diameters with tires of specific sizes. Did you review that table and can you explain how it misleads? Do you not have a tire in one of those sizes?

I'm confused about your sensor mounting position. From the drawing in instruction #1 on the first page of this document, it seems to me the wheel speed sensor and pickup locations involve the disc rim, not the disc itself. Also, is the mount you have fabricated unlikely to vibrate? See instruction #3 in the same document.

I admit to being drawn into considering one of these instruments despite my being satisfied with what I've got. scratch Laughing

What I would say is that that document is not included with the Motogadget Tiny. In your document it says mount the trigger to outer hexagon screws, Also it says:"7. Do not use a magnet as a trigger. Following materials are allowed: Aluminium, Steel, Titan, Stainless Steel, Magnesium. 
8. The minimum amount of impulses per wheel rotation must be 3 trigger signals. The maximum amount of impulses per wheel rotation must be 20 trigger signals. "

The proximity sensor I have is not designed to be triggered by screws, it is designed to be triggered my magnet(s). It is also designed to have a minimum of 1 trigger signal.

The magnet is attached to the disc but only on the most inner edge as possible, it looks like your diagram refers to mounting outside of a floating disc, the disc on my K is not a floating type, if it was then it would most likely be an issue.

Vibration should not be an issue as I made this from 2.5mm stainless, it's pretty damn rigid!

30Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:19 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
robmack wrote:Dai, those Hall sensor switches are manufactured out of stainless steel and the electronics are encased in potting material up to IP 67.
Post 25, Rob. I'm not worried about the Hall sensors.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

31Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:03 am

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
Dai wrote:
robmack wrote:Dai, those Hall sensor switches are manufactured out of stainless steel and the electronics are encased in potting material up to IP 67.
Post 25, Rob. I'm not worried about the Hall sensors.

The Motogadget gear seams pretty decent quality, they designed the switch to be mounted on a motorcycle so I would assume it to be IP66....

One thing I would say is that the bike I have built is not now made to be ridden all year round or indeed in rain, if it was then that switch mount position would not be suitable,  far to near the tyre warranting possible water ingress.....

32Back to top Go down   Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:49 am

@kustom_moto

@kustom_moto
Silver member
Silver member
Canada to the UK in 4 days....

Thank you Sir!

Instrument Cluster Wire Colours Oi000210

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum