BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Chickenstrips

Chickenstrips
I must be missing something in all the posts I could find on removing the fuel pump. Assuming you can only get one hand in the tank at once, how in the world can you simultaneously squeeze the plastic tabs AND pull out the pump - its either or. huh what? thanks

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I assume you are removing the whole filler cap to gain access. With that removed you should be able to press in both the tabs that secure the fuel pump damper and lift it up and out. If you can't manged that depress one tab and pull it up slightly on one side until the tab is disengaged, then depress the other tab and pull it up.
Regards Martin.

Chickenstrips

Chickenstrips
MartinW wrote:I assume you are removing the whole filler cap to gain access. With that removed you should be able to press in both the tabs that secure the fuel pump damper and lift it up and out.  If you can't manged that depress one tab and pull it up slightly on one side until the tab is disengaged, then depress the other tab and pull it up.
Regards Martin.
Thanks. Will try the one side at a time because as soon as you let go of the two tabs at once to pull out the pump, the tabs are no longer pressed. I feel like I am missing something because nothing but one side at a time seems possible to work.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Chickenstrips wrote:Will try the one side at a time because as soon as you let go of the two tabs at once to pull out the pump, the tabs are no longer pressed.
You are going to lift out the entire assembly—holder and the pump within—not just the pump. The pump will be removed from its holder after it is removed from the tank. Press in both tabs—if you can—then use them to lift the assembly. Otherwise, follow Martin's technique.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Chickenstrips wrote:Will try the one side at a time because as soon as you let go of the two tabs at once to pull out the pump, the tabs are no longer pressed.
You are going to lift out the entire assembly—holder and the pump within it—not just the pump. The pump will be removed from its holder after it is removed from the tank. Press in both tabs—if you can—then grasp them to lift the assembly. Once you lift it upward a little from its fastened position, you'll be able to grasp it more conveniently for removal. You also could use Martin's technique to rock the holder from its fastened position then remove the entire assembly.

Last edited by Laitch on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chickenstrips

Chickenstrips
Fantastic! I knew I was missing something. Thanks

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum