BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   cant get the fuel tank off! Empty cant get the fuel tank off! Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:09 am

jonno1962

Hi all, I have all the parts for the water pump seal replacement, however, not having owned a beemer before, i have to say i feel a bit of a wally cos i cant figure out how to get the tank off in order to access the coolant filler cap.
there are two spigots either side at the back of the tank, and am assuming there must be a way to unclip them, but i dont see anything obvious, any advice please, dont want to force anything and possibly break something. cheers! jon.

2Back to top Go down   cant get the fuel tank off! Empty Re: cant get the fuel tank off! Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:34 am

jonno1962

Sorry i forgot to give you the full details, its a 1984 k100rs, there is no single bolt at the back, which it should have, according to the manual,there are no obvious clips either,just aluminium spigots and rubber grommets, frankly, i'm stumped! cant get the fuel tank off! Icon_eek

3Back to top Go down   cant get the fuel tank off! Empty Re: cant get the fuel tank off! Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:58 am

jonno1962

Well, a can of worms has just been opened!
the tank is later but the metal bridge on the frame which the early tank bolts into has been ground off and brass lugs brazed on to accommodate the spigoted later tank, and the spigots themselves are peened over to keep them from coming out, gonna have to mangle them to get the tank off and theres no way i can re secure it properly, oh joy! cant get the fuel tank off! Icon_scratch

4Back to top Go down   cant get the fuel tank off! Empty Re: cant get the fuel tank off! Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:40 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
jon, before you shred everything, can you post a pic? May be able to help if we can see what you're up against.

5Back to top Go down   cant get the fuel tank off! Empty Re: cant get the fuel tank off! Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:09 pm

jonno1962

Tried to download a pic but having difficulties, think i'm on top of it now, and have devised a way to keep things secure, any way, did the seals, and now the oil leak has worsened considerably,the new oil seal appears to have failed almost straight away despite careful cleaning and fitting, so back to the drawing board!
thanks for putting up with me!

6Back to top Go down   cant get the fuel tank off! Empty Re: cant get the fuel tank off! Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:11 pm

greenmachine61

greenmachine61
If you don't see any retaining rings, than just pull up with a good strenght and the tank will lift out. Then pull toward the seat and your tank will be out.
To re-install, do the reverse and push down firmly through the rubbers and the tank will pop in and will be secured. It my manual they suggest to put some lubricant on the rubbers to prevent dammaging them. No chances that the tank will move when the seat is actually sitting on it.
My bike didn't have those two retaining rings in place and the tank haven't move.

Regards

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum