BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
Wel, got the sidecar fitted, but it's been so much hassle I'm trying to decide if it's worth it at the moment. I know its going to be the actual setup of the bike, but I daren't touch it myself encase I make it worse. At the moment I've got to force the left handlebar to stay straight. It will do donuts to the left without touching it and going right I have to really slow down as it feels like the bike is going to tip over the sidecar. 

I've contacted watsonian squire to get a price see if they could be able set it up as I don't feel confident to do it. They are the closest people to Staffordshire, UK. 

Few images of the sidecar set up, if I do somehow manage to sort it just curious what wheels is everyone running on there k's. I'm using standard at the moment but looking at upgrades for the future.

Added the sidecar but It might get scrapped soon. K100_110
Added the sidecar but It might get scrapped soon. K100_210
Added the sidecar but It might get scrapped soon. K100_310

Kind Regards,
Sam.

Lexmoto (first bike ever to ride) , CB125 TDC 86 , CG125 89 , GN125 97 , ER5 96 , K100 RS 84

84/01 K100rs 0013627

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Sam,
We’ve crossed on another site this week, but there are a few things that I think I can see in these photos that I hadn’t previously noticed.
1) the top photo looks like the chair is visibly toeing out. Might just be camera parallax tho.
2) I only know my outfit, but yours looks uncomfortably close together.
3) Again, maybe just me, but the articulation of the lower mounts looks odd. I would have expected to see something a little more direct, with one less joint, and closer to parallel to the ground.
4) Is there an upper mount running up to near the headstock at the front? 
5) And similar to near the top shock mount at the back?

As you know this forum will provide more informed resource than you can dream of, so I will butt out. However, it might be useful if you could tell a little about the sub frame origin and what the chair was previously fitted to or the background to the fittings you are using. Maybe some pics of the bike mounting points too. I really do hope you can get it sorted as I know the pain you have been through.
Cheers, Stu

2000 Hayabusa with Charnwood chair, Wasp forks and EZS wheels.

bigdavergs

bigdavergs
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Sam, Dave here from Oz. I had issues with my outfit (k100rs 16v with HRD double adult chair) over the last few years. As bought it had standard forks and front wheel and a car wheel on the back. Was unrideable without a passenger in the chair. Bought a set of leading link forks and after much cocking about, the outfit has been transformed. Front wheel is now a K1100lt 18 inch with flat section sidecar tyre and with or without a passnger it rides fine. I guess it's difficult to compare different outfits, mine is probably twice the size of yours, with the extra weight etc. They all have their own quirks and set-up issues.

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
tinyspuds wrote:Hi Sam,
We’ve crossed on another site this week, but there are a few things that I think I can see in these photos that I hadn’t previously noticed.
1) the top photo looks like the chair is visibly toeing out. Might just be camera parallax tho.
2) I only know my outfit, but yours looks uncomfortably close together.
3) Again, maybe just me, but the articulation of the lower mounts looks odd. I would have expected to see something a little more direct, with one less joint, and closer to parallel to the ground.
4) Is there an upper mount running up to near the headstock at the front? 
5) And similar to near the top shock mount at the back?

As you know this forum will provide more informed resource than you can dream of, so I will butt out. However, it might be useful if you could tell a little about the sub frame origin and what the chair was previously fitted to or the background to the fittings you are using. Maybe some pics of the bike mounting points too. I really do hope you can get it sorted as I know the pain you have been through.
Cheers, Stu

Hello the sidecar was originally fitted to another k100, the subframe is wasp made. The image there was when it was first set up this is how it looks now.
Added the sidecar but It might get scrapped soon. 20190213

Bear in mind this is on the drive which is on the slope but you should be able to see the problem im fighting with. If it lets me I'll try to include the photos of the rest of the current layout and image of how it was set up on the other bike.

Added the sidecar but It might get scrapped soon. Receiv10

Here is an image of the subframe and sidecar set up previously, not sure if the person is on here but he was a decent guy so not going to say anything more regarding that.

Now an image of how it was attached previously with the mounts in a position
Added the sidecar but It might get scrapped soon. SnptSIyl

Now my mounts just hope these images are telling a better image than I can explain.

Added the sidecar but It might get scrapped soon. OIzyoW4l

The company I went to which said they had fitted sidecars before I don't think they knew what they were doing. I know the adjusters are wrong to me anyway. But I don't want to jump in there moving things around as it's my only form of transport. That I have to use to get to work and back no choice. You have to do what you have to do.

Just hope these images are explaining better than i could.

Regards,
Sam

Lexmoto (first bike ever to ride) , CB125 TDC 86 , CG125 89 , GN125 97 , ER5 96 , K100 RS 84

84/01 K100rs 0013627

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
Sam,
I think those pics will help. Good luck, but most importantly, stay safe.
Stu

2000 Hayabusa with Charnwood chair, Wasp forks and EZS wheels.

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Hello Sam,
In the first pic you posted, it looks like the bike is leaning in slightly and the chair is toe-ing out.
Setting up the chair in a basic way isn't difficult: try about 20mm of toe-in for the sidecar wheel and maybe one turn on your thread for lean out of the bike. That's just a basic guide and you can work from there.
Don't be fooled by the old, if the bike leans in a bit it won't want to lift the chair so easily, scenario. It makes everything react weirdly.... ( ask me how I know)
Sean.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc7NNjWO7nHEhMpErSDJ5Hw

Leo G

Leo G
Sorry, old topics but I'm new to this forum and just browsing through for items of great interest.

That rig looks like the chair is very close to the bike as mentioned by another member.
I've had a few outfits over the years and found the wider track (distance between bike and chair) gave much better stability and was much less prone to lifting/tipping. My last rig it was a much wider track and it was near impossible to lift it with the then missus in the chair, that could have been her fat @rs....

How do you find it handles?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum