BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
Hi all,
Next job is to replace the remaining fuel system perishables (have already done the internal and external fuel hoses - with your help Very Happy).
The (partial?) solution to sourcing suitably narrow clamp bands is as Rick G wrote:

RicK G wrote:For clamps the Suzuki ones are the go

48mm Suzuki band clamp   09402-48208 for TB->bushings and bushings->air plenum connections.  Cost about $4.75 each. not sure if the price is USD AUD or even current

There are 3 ID sizes needed:

46mm
48.5mm
50mm

Q1. Does anyone know if this substitute part has the range to cover all 3 internal diameters?
Q2. Or a source for the 46 and 50mm jobbies?
Q3. Others on the forum have been happy to go with cable wraps (which I take to be same as cable ties?) would these be std plastic ties or do I need stainless?

Thanks as always for the guidance and support.

PS I almost bid on a ‘parts’ bike last night. Apparently the cure for K-pox is to only look at flea bay when Mrs Spuds is also on the sofa...

2000 Hayabusa with Charnwood chair, Wasp forks and EZS wheels.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Have a squiz at Charlie's 83 - 84 Engine Cleanup thread. It's a good read, all of it, but have a look at post 361 where he shows the (reusable) Suzuki hose clamps. Perhaps a PM would reveal the part number and/or size secret.

48mm Suzuki clamp part number is.... 09402-48208

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Located numero)

1977 R75/7-100, '93 K11/K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100 Mystic, '96 K1100RS, 2 x '98 K1200RS, '06 K1200R & '09 K1300GT. Projects: 1993 & '96 K1100RS, & one '98 K1200RS. The R100 Mystic, K11/12 Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K1200R & K1300GT are running, rego'd & ridable.

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Try searching for Oetiker stepless clamps. They do a stainless version, and as for the biggie - yes they are narrow enough for the moulded ring in the rubber inlet sleeves.

I've used them and they fit fine. Later on I'll dig out the specs/part nos for the exact items.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Two Wheels Better wrote:Have a squiz at Charlie's 83 - 84 Engine Cleanup thread. It's a good read, all of it, but have a look at post 361 where he shows the (reusable) Suzuki hose clamps. Perhaps a PM would reveal the part number and/or size secret.

48mm Suzuki clamp part number is.... 09402-48208

just to add

the part for the 46mm lower of top rubber  clamps   is quite (Suzuki ) logical  09402 - 46208

hope it helps someone

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Here y'go, 7mm wide stainless, oohbay item no 183268678706 
Hose clamps. Throttle body, plenum etc 03811
Hose clamps. Throttle body, plenum etc 04011
Hose clamps. Throttle body, plenum etc 04210
Hose clamps. Throttle body, plenum etc 04410

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks so much folks. 
Coolant hoses hopefully going in this week while I wait on delivery of the remaining fuel delivery perishables - and either suzuki clamps or stainless steps (gonna sleep on that).
Stu

2000 Hayabusa with Charnwood chair, Wasp forks and EZS wheels.

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Platinum member
Platinum member
Anyone know the correct name for the screw hose clamps that are used on the lower inlet manifold rubber (below the throttle bodies)?

I have tried to find the specific name ... no success

I am avoiding the Oetiker clamps because I'd prefer to use the screw ones and I expect I will need the tightening tool. 

I went to Suzuki the other day and they quoted me $7.50 each for the 46mm and 48mm clamps.

I'd rather stainless.

I know I'm being a tight arse but 8 clamps at (BMW) $8.50 is too much - even if I can afford it. The bike cost me $500 and I've just lashed out on the top and bottom rubbers.

Thanks

Guy

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Stainless steel cable ties are cheap and available at Jay Car or Bunnings. There is a special tool to tighten them but you should be able to work around it.
Regards Martin.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
Silver member
Silver member
tinyspuds wrote:Hi all,
Next job is to replace the remaining fuel system perishables (have already done the internal and external fuel hoses - with your help Very Happy).
The (partial?) solution to sourcing suitably narrow clamp bands is as Rick G wrote:

RicK G wrote:For clamps the Suzuki ones are the go

48mm Suzuki band clamp   09402-48208 for TB->bushings and bushings->air plenum connections.  Cost about $4.75 each. not sure if the price is USD AUD or even current

There are 3 ID sizes needed:

46mm
48.5mm
50mm

Q1. Does anyone know if this substitute part has the range to cover all 3 internal diameters?
Q2. Or a source for the 46 and 50mm jobbies?
Q3. Others on the forum have been happy to go with cable wraps (which I take to be same as cable ties?) would these be std plastic ties or do I need stainless?

Thanks as always for the guidance and support.

Also, take a look at Duck's "Other Parts" page here, halfway down... throttle body clamps. I got some this past week from him, as a great price.

http://www.kbikeparts.com/otherstuff.htm

PAST:
old (indeterminate age) Ural + sidecar
1997 Buell S3T Thunderbolt
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan

11Back to top Go down   Hose clamps. Throttle body, plenum etc Empty Hose clamps Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:47 pm

redrockmania

redrockmania
Silver member
Silver member
I have a large number of new 48mm and 50mm genuine USA made Oetiker brand hose clamps. The easiest way of crimping them tight is to use a pair of CV Joint clamp crimping pliers which are readily available. Happy to sell them within Australia for $3.00 each plus postage. These are identical to the original BMW clamps, but without the BMW logo embossed. I do not have the 46mm clamps.

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
Silver member
Silver member
redrockmania wrote:I have a large number of new 48mm and 50mm genuine USA made Oetiker brand hose clamps. The easiest way of crimping them tight is to use a pair of CV Joint clamp crimping pliers which are readily available. Happy to sell them within Australia for $3.00 each plus postage. These are identical to the original BMW clamps, but without the BMW logo embossed. I do not have the 46mm clamps.

Your avatar says "Kentucky NSW". Is that really a thing? Being from the other Kentucky, I'll now have to look this up on a map of Oz.

PAST:
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I'm gonna bite. Which bit of Kentucky? I spent a year in Pikeville as a scholarship pupil at Pikeville College (now Pikeville U, I believe). What you guys call a 'returner' as I was in my early 40s at the time.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

14Back to top Go down   Hose clamps. Throttle body, plenum etc Empty Which part of Kentucky Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:19 pm

redrockmania

redrockmania
Silver member
Silver member
Kentucky in the Australian state of New South Wales is in an area known as (wait for it) New England.
Our village boasts 311 souls and is about 1100 metres above sea level. In the 19th Century successful superfine wool Merino sheep farming was established and remains dominant today, although cattle farming has increased. After the end of World War I, some properties around Kentucky were purchased by the Government and released to returning soldiers (these were known as Soldier Settler Blocks). The Kentucky bocks were converted to mainly successful fruit orchards - apples, plums peaches etc and persisted until shortly after WW2, when a shortage of post-war labour saw most revert back to pastoral land. Sadly, in many other areas the soldier settler scheme was unsuccessful for a variety of reasons including - too small, land too poor a quality, lack of capital, lack of farming skills and technical support. 

Nearby to me lives the Australian (and world) guru for the Russian Ural (sidecar) motorcycles, Most will know that after WW2 Russia shipped back to Russia the German BMW motorcycle/sidecar manufacturing plant and thus the Rual was born. In more recent times ownership and much of th manufacturing has moved to the USA, resulting in decent brakes, EFI and more power and reliability. The sidecar bodies however are still made in Russia and imported to the USA for assembly. The Chinese also make a WW2 BMW sidecar clone - I presume at some time in the past a deal was made between the USSR and China. The Chinese jobs look rougher the the Russian ones.

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
Silver member
Silver member
Dai wrote:I'm gonna bite. Which bit of Kentucky? I spent a year in Pikeville as a scholarship pupil at Pikeville College (now Pikeville U, I believe). What you guys call a 'returner' as I was in my early 40s at the time.
Louisville, of course. The rest is just farmland ;-)

PAST:
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
240 miles west, 90 miles to get out of the mountains and the full length of the Daniel Boone Parkway. Penniless students - stuff all you can get at the Chinese for $4 a head on the western outskirts of Louisville (don't remember its name but it was almost next door to a Toxic Hell - bleurgh) and then don't need to eat for the rest of the day. Spent quite a few weekends on a trailer site next to Otter Creek in Meade County. Didn't need to go fishin' in the creek; one of my college friends had a pond the size of a small lake at the bottom of the yard.

Good times, good memories. The only time in my life when I had absolutely no other responsibilities whatsoever beyond getting the highest grades I could. 3.8 GPA before you ask; that pissed me off because I was aiming for a 4.0 but circumstances beyond my control etc., mostly in the form of a huge snowstorm that trapped me on Boston Logan airport for a bloody week.

Ah well - another thread well and truly hijacked! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:Stainless steel cable ties are cheap and available at Jay Car or Bunnings. There is a special tool to tighten them but you should be able to work around it.
Regards Martin.
Almost reviving an old thread.

Are stainless steel cable ties good enough to clamp the throttle bodies to the bushings?  Will they seal the joint well enough?

Last edited by robmack on Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I can't see why not, I have used them to successfully clamp a leaking radiator hose. The only problem with stainless ties is getting them tight enough, you really need a special tool.  I use a modified tile levelling tool I picked up from the dump recycle. I post piccies later today.
Regards Martin

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
I have used them on CV joint boots and have never had a problem. You can get them tight by pulling them with a pliers or vice grips.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum